Sound Cards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound Cards

How much of a difference do they make? By taking the sound off the MB will it improve my computers performance? If yes how much do I have to spend inorder to get a card that will please my ears?

Re: Sound Cards

nVidia used to have a sound chip they put on mobo's that handled all cycles for the sound. They've since gone away from this so any onboard sound capabilities use cpu cycles. I'd suggest getting a sound card. The card you need will depend on what you need it for.

Do you watch movies / DVDs?
    Do you listen to CDs / steaming music?
    Do you play games? (duh :icon7: )

What kind of speakers do you have / want? (i.e. you don't need a card to support 5.1 if you only have two speakers... or if you use headphones all the time.)
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Comment

Are USB sound solutions acceptable? My concern is getting the cycles off the mainboard, not getting the best sound there is.. I'm very satisfied with my onboard sound as it is.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I really want to build a pimp rig, but the cost is steep so I thought I would start buying components that I can use now and then transfer when I can afford a cpu vid card ect. I want the best sound I can get at a reasonable price. In other words do I need to spend 290 on the top of the line card, or for gaming, DVD and music can I get away with one half that price?

I use a head set but will get surroud speakers in the future.

Comment

I suggest the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Value. Newegg sells an OEM version of it for $45.

Inexpensive and doesn't take up space with usless ports and knobs like the more expensive audigy products do.
          Steam Community: | |

Comment

i suggest geting the best there is,get a all out mofo sytem that will kick some ass,than follow these instructions.
            1.Run 32 megs of the worst mem you can find.
            2.UNDERCLOCK (take your 3 gig chip to ..oh say around..733 mghz
            3.Buy the best sound card..BUT run your speakers off your onboard headphone jack

These settings will offer no performance..but will be funny as hell to tell your friends about.

Comment

Think about your speaker setup. Are you going to have 5.1 surround sound? Do you need digital sound? As kormendi mentioned, the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 card is probably your best bet. I'd expect that card to last you a while and provide you with more than enough sound quality and features.

The audigy 2 supports at least 5.1. Make sure the card you get is THX certified.
              |TG-12th| asch
              sigpic

Comment

Wel to make up for my joke,here are some links to some nice cards for a nice price,all these sites are proven preformers and good to thier word,tested by me.
                1.http://www.adamant.com/ItemInfo_audo...cts&menu=PARTS
                2.http://www.adamant.com/ItemInfo_aud2...cts&menu=PARTS
                3.http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...879437&CatId=0
                4.http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...102-173&depa=0

Any of these cards will do nicely in almost any situation,all under 100 bucks.The last one is only 27 dollars and i still have it in one of my boxes and it works great.

Comment

Well, i got a question for yall, since we're on the subject of sound...

Well, i built my computer from the Case up. I have a DVD-RW/DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive, that when i put a cd in it plays sound just fine...But when i play a DVD in it i dont hear any sound during the actual movie but the main menu has sound.

I am not running a sound card, and i have to speaker cable, from the Drive to the CD connector on the board, Connected

Dazed and Confused,
                  -Monkz
                  Allen: Yeah, you're right.
                  Monkerz: I think "that" in its self proves my intelligence greater than yours, thus joo have just been pwnt by Monkerz!

Comment

Sounds like a problem with your DVD player software. You may want to try different software, or change the audio settings for the player.

You dont need to connect the audio cable on CD and DVD drives if your OS supports digital play back. The cable is for analog audio.
                    Steam Community: | |

Comment

Originally posted by kormendi
                      Sounds like a problem with your DVD player software. You may want to try different software, or change the audio settings for the player.

You dont need to connect the audio cable on CD and DVD drives if your OS supports digital play back. The cable is for analog audio.
                      The Analog Cable just looks cool....so imma leave it there...lol...
                      Does anyone recommend any software then....
                      Oh yeah....I have some Burnt DVDs that play just fine...but would that again still be the software...

-monkz
                      Allen: Yeah, you're right.
                      Monkerz: I think "that" in its self proves my intelligence greater than yours, thus joo have just been pwnt by Monkerz!

Comment

Sounds like you jsut need to tinker around,you have some dvds (burnt) that play fine and some that you can hear during the main menu but not during palyback,right?I don't ahve a fav dvd playback,any will work jsut fine..windvd..power dvd..it's all the same to me.Make sure your software is xp compatable.I belive microsoft offers a decoder pack for dvd palyback also,i always try to stick with microsoft products rather than jam up the machine with multiple software titles taht are used for the same thing.
                        1.http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;306331

if you have any trouble finding something for free you can pm me and i can hook you up with something i am sure.

b.t.w once you ahve any dvd decoder on your box windows media player will use the decoder to playback dvd.

Comment

Sound Blaster has to be the only real choice when it comes to non-integrated sound cards. They get cheap so ridiculously fast it's not even funny. I think I remember the Audigy 2 going from 200 US to under 100 in around 2 months. They provide damn good performance and I've never had a problem with one of them (using since SB 16).

My roomate had one issue with NS using the USB rig that came with his platinum. Turned out all he needed was a driver upgrade.

Comment

for clarity sake:

a mackie d8b 72 channel digit professional studio sound boardruns off a pentium 166 with 32 megs of ram.

if a 72 channel audio board with all the effects, compression, eg, etc. can run from a 166 (including the os) with 32 megs of ram..... onboard audio for your 2 or even 5 speaker set will not affect your 2+ ghz computer in any way. the used clock cycles can be measured in fractions.

realtime audio conversion and processing is very light duty.
                            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                            The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG=
                              for clarity sake:

a mackie d8b 72 channel digit professional studio sound boardruns off a pentium 166 with 32 megs of ram.

if a 72 channel audio board with all the effects, compression, eg, etc. can run from a 166 (including the os) with 32 megs of ram..... onboard audio for your 2 or even 5 speaker set will not affect your 2+ ghz computer in any way. the used clock cycles can be measured in fractions.

realtime audio conversion and processing is very light duty.
                              You would think... Too bad that's not the case in reality.

Not to mention onboard sound has such crappy quality...
                              Become a supporting member!
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!
                              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X