CPU Temps Safe?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU Temps Safe?

Well I just installed my new Thermalrite U-120 Extreme on my i7920, and I have OC'd it to 3.7ghz. Under load of Prime95, my CPU is showing 92C and 2 of the cores read 100C. Do any of you know if these temps are safe for these chips?
    |TG-Irr| Zantheus

Re: CPU Temps Safe?

That is on the edge of that chips limits, there should be built in thermal protection i.e. the chip would reduce its clock speed not to exceed a certain temp. I would not recommend running that chip at that clock (read temperature) without stepping up the cooling.
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

ok cause Idle is 30C...I can maybe check and see if I fastened the HS tight enough. I mean there isn't that many cooling systems that are air who beat the 120 Extreme...It has been in Prime95 for close to an hour now and is running great...I'll let it run for an hour or two more and then check the heatsink
      |TG-Irr| Zantheus

Comment

Thats why to high, I would recommend trying to stay max at 60-65 under load.

Did you Overclock it before you put on the new cooler ? If so, check if you have put the cooler right, see if all the screws are tight...and it could also be that you have put on to much thermalpaste aswell.

My guess is that you have not put the cooler right, its sitting lose somewhere and the whole surface of the cooler isnt touching the CPU.

TG-6th|Almightylion

"It's feedom for everybody or freedom for nobody"" - Malcolm X

Comment

I OC'd after the Heatsink...it could be the paste...it kind of looked like a bit too much...Ill check that
          |TG-Irr| Zantheus

Comment

Originally posted by Zantheus View Post
            I OC'd after the Heatsink...it could be the paste...it kind of looked like a bit too much...Ill check that
            check manufacture homepage of the thermalpaste you are using, they should show you how much to use on your CPU. Normally its not more the a half rice corn.

TG-6th|Almightylion

Comment

I'll try and do a prime95 run on my i7 920 tonight and get you a set of comparatives. Might forget or end up being busy.
              a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
              Celibacy is not Hereditary.
              Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
              Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
              Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Well I redid the paste and made sure all the screws were as tight as they could be, and yet Im still running 90C and cores upto 99C....doesnt make sense with the heatsink I have installed
                |TG-Irr| Zantheus

Comment

either the thermal sensor is misreading the temp or the software you're using is not correct,

try reading the clocked temp from the bios and see what temps you're getting..

if those temps are the same then you need a better cooler or it's not mounted correctly..

Comment

Well I just installed my new Thermalrite U-120 Extreme on my i7920, and I have OC'd it to 3.7ghz.
                    What are the readings without overclocking ?

With that cooler you should be reading under 60C core temp full load.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

How's the airflow in your case? Large coolers mean nothing if the hot air isn't vented somewhere.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder228 View Post
                        How's the airflow in your case? Large coolers mean nothing if the hot air isn't vented somewhere.
                        I have the Antec 900 so there is allot of air flow comming and going
                        |TG-Irr| Zantheus

Comment

You should be using CoreTemp with the proper TJ max inputted into settings if you want accurate temperature readings.

SpeedFan for example won't give you a accurate reading since it seems to use one set TJMax temp that isn't changeable (or at least isn't adjusting itself correctly with the new chips out now).
                          Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 04-28-2009, 09:54 PM.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Well I redid the paste and made sure all the screws were as tight as they could be, and yet Im still running 90C and cores upto 99C....doesnt make sense with the heatsink I have installed
                            Like somebody said, what program are you using for checking the temps ? I recommend you to get Everest Ultimate Edition and get the lastest version of it.

TG-6th|Almightylion

Comment

Originally posted by AlmightyLion View Post
                              Like somebody said, what program are you using for checking the temps ? I recommend you to get Everest Ultimate Edition and get the lastest version of it.
                              I have that.... Anyways I figured it out finally :D I disabled Intel Hyperthreading and now I am running 3.8ghz and under 100% load using LinX, I am maxing out at 72C
                              |TG-Irr| Zantheus

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X