Purchase or build a Computer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchase or build a Computer?

I have started to consider that within this next year, I am going to start to save up some money in order to purchase a computer or possibly maybe build one from scratch.

However, I am no computer whiz, and this will mean me asking my friend on the weekends to help me out, teaching me probably but it could also lead to some frustration.

Also if I were to purchase a computer, I would have to know exactly what I am getting etc, and the one company I that came to mind is www.falcon-nw.com

I have heard only good things about them, yes it might be a bit pricey, but with the options that are available it might also save the frustration/worriedness that might come along with creating a desktop.

Ideas? Suggestions?

*This is entirely WIP, just a thought that has recently come to myself, since i am living at home and really monopolizing my parents workstation. I'm also saving up to move out, so many i should move out first then procure a computer system.
    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
    Level II Volunteer FireFighter
    Level I HazMat Technician
    NYS EMT-B
    Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
    RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
    Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
    Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
    We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Re: Purchase or build a Computer?

Well that is the ultimate decision when buying or building. Do you pay more for a box that is going to work for sure and if not its got a warranty and support behind it or do you save some cash by buying your own parts and assembling them yourself. Actually putting the parts together is not a big deal with all the insight we have here so don't worry about that, its just having to deal with RMAs and customer service reps if you got a bad part and need to change it out along with the down time of not having a part. My suggestion would be when it comes time make a wishlist on newegg.com and build what you want and then check for something similar at FalconNW and see what they offer service wise and see if the price difference is acceptable.

Just for fun I just checked it out, same or better parts from newegg
    newegg.com = $1,468.90
    FalconNW = $2,422.83

personally its crazy to spend that extra money for a 1 year warranty
    Last edited by Reaperassault; 04-28-2009, 01:57 PM.
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Build Build Build!!!! Always Better

Comment

You may also want to consider getting a mom&pop shop to build your computer for you. Look for one that will offer service and support after you build your computer. It will be cheaper than going to Falcon and you can get some level of service. You can also tell them the parts you want in the system so you can get some customization and price out an affordable system.

Definitely consider building one. It sucks when something goes wrong but you learn new things about computers and also how to problem solve anything that goes wrong. It's a valuable skill to look at a situation and determine the methods you can use to figure out what is wrong so this doesn't solely apply to computers.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by Barrel Chest View Post
          Build Build Build!!!! Always Better

Negative ghost rider, the pattern is full!.

http://www.ecost.com/Detail/Desktops...avid=155438718

You wont build a better or even eqaul computer then that for cheaper even adding in the 1 yr warranty. The link I posted has that machine out of stock currently, but they have been running that special for 6 months now. It goes out of stock for a day to a week, then goes back in stock.

Comment

I was a newbie builder too. After a blunder or two I had a great experience building and I wouldn't trade it. Having an experienced friend really helped me out though.

Comment

Most of the time, it would be better to build your own. That way you decide the specifications, you decide which brands to use, from where to purchase the parts and you build it yourself which is rewarding in its own right.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post
                Also if I were to purchase a computer, I would have to know exactly what I am getting etc, and the one company I that came to mind is www.falcon-nw.com

Now the local LAN center near me bought all of their PCs from a website www.ibuypower.com I just did a little build based on the budget PC from the website you listed and it came in at $1,277 and the Talon base price is $1,947. I've never used them, but I do love the options they give you. Plus their computers come with a 3 year limited warranty.

Here were the options:

Case ( Raidmax Aztec Gaming Tower Case w/420W Power Supply Silver/Black )
                Power Supply ( 700 Watt -- Power Supply SLI Ready )
                Processor ( [New !!] Intel® Core™ i7 920 Processor (4x 2.66GHz/8MB L3 Cache) )
                Processor Cooling ( iBUYPOWER Napoleon CPU Cooling Fan System Kit )
                Motherboard ( Asus P6T Intel X58 Chipset CrossFire and SLI Supported w/7.1 Sound, Triple-Channel DDR3, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, 3-Way SLI PCI-E MB 3-Way SLI )
                Memory ( 6 GB [2 GB X3] DDR3-1333 Triple Memory Module Corsair XMS3 Dominator w/DHX technology )
                Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 512MB w/DVI + TV Out Video )
                Hard Drive ( 320 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache] )
                2nd Hard Drive ( 500 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache] )
                CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive ( [** Special !!! ***] LG 22X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive Black )
                Sound Card ( Creative Lab Sound Blaster Audigy SE )
                Flash Media Reader/Writer ( 12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer Silver )
                Operating System ( Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium - 32 Bit)
                Warranty ( Warranty Service Standard 3-Year Limited Warranty + Lifetime Technical Support )
                Rush Service ( Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) No Rush Service, Estimate Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days )
                Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

I am in the same boat, I will be buying my own house soon after saving for 3-4 years and will be purchasing the parts after I have furnished the house, so my advice would be hold off till you are in your new place just in case you need extra cash for insurance or furniture or things you have not taken into consideration, try not to dip into your "PC FUND" unless you badly need the money, I have a separate account with my bank that contains money for the pc and hopefully I will not have to spend it.

I will be building my own pc because some companies install propriety parts in their systems which do not conform to certain standards and upgrading may be a pain, if you buy certain dell pc's you may not be able to change the PSU or have lots of trouble trying to fit one in and have to mod the case, or you might have to buy ram that is made for dell systems only, building your own system means all your parts conform to ATX standards etc and it can easily be upgraded with new parts and you will have a much much wider choice of parts, also all the parts you buy will come with their own warranty, it also means you know your system inside out after building it, building your own system gives you way more options than buying from a company that makes computers and can also work out cheaper.
                  If you can get your parts from a company that is near where you live all the better, especially if they have a pick-up point, so if a part needs to be returned you can bring it to them yourself.

I know Dell, HP, Boxx and others have high end systems out there, but they do cost quite a bit and you could build one yourself that would cost less and probably out perform those on offer by other companies.

I am not against buying a ready built p.c, it is just my personal choice to build my own for the reasons stated.
                  Last edited by MrMojay; 04-28-2009, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Build yourself.

Do some research on what you want from it; look at benchmarks, prices, upcoming technology and see what fits your needs. The mechanics of putting a computer together is pretty idiot proof, just make sure that everything is supported by your motherboard, and you have enough power in your power supply to run it.

If you decide to build, make another thread with some details of what hardware you want, and I am sure others will look it over, and make suggestions prior to your purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by Morganan View Post
                      Negative ghost rider, the pattern is full!.

http://www.ecost.com/Detail/Desktops...avid=155438718

You wont build a better or even eqaul computer then that for cheaper even adding in the 1 yr warranty. The link I posted has that machine out of stock currently, but they have been running that special for 6 months now. It goes out of stock for a day to a week, then goes back in stock.
                      I could build a much better rig than that for less money and without and without having to uninstall the crap HP would throw on the HDD. Build all the way.
                      sigpic

Comment

i bought a PC and moddified ram/GPU/PSU/and cooling 2 my liking

Comment

Build it yourself. You'll learn more along the way. You'll know what you're putting in is good (or bad). Your hands can shake and you can be giddy afterwards when you're playing CoD5 (or whatever) on the rig.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

If cost is the biggest factor buy. It is cheaper. It might be cheaper to build if you have some re-usable parts and/or you use a free OS (or you steal or reuse).

If you want to have it faster with minimal headaches, buy. Every computer I have put together had one major part that either wasn't shipped on time or was defective. I have also experienced more oddities with built computers. Things like the sleep/hibernate modes not working correctly. Or a USB port being <100% reliable. Nothing major but still anoying. My current build the usb ports won't power off every time. One or two seems to maintain power so the mouse or keyboard LEDs glow all night.

If the joy of geekyness is the biggest factor, build. Like acreo said, the first time you play a game on something you built a school girl giddiness comes over you.
                            I’m not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                            - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                            - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                            - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                            - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                            - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                            - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

The first build is always the hardest. :) But I've built my computers now for 8 years.

What I would look at is your budget and the parts you want. I wouldn't suggest building a liquid cooled rig for your first. Other than that, everything is really plug and play... the only part that ever makes me nervous is applying thermal paste but even that really isn't too bad.
                              |TG-12th| asch
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...