• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $99 graphics card

From Slashdot:

A $99 Graphics Card Might Be All You Need
    http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?...234&art_pos=12
    http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=700

The article suggests that the AMD Radeon HD 4770 GPU, the first GPU fabricated in 40nm, may be the card to get in this price zone.

Here's a list of these cards from Newegg, which prices them currently at $110:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...d+4770&x=0&y=0

The review says this card can do 12 GFLOPS/watt and 8.8 GFLOPS/dollar. Compare to 4.8 and 5.1 for the nVidia 9800GT.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: $99 graphics card

Wow, these new cards are already beating my 8800GT and nearly cost 50% of what I paid for mines back in July. I think this summer might be a good time for those of us looking to upgrade our 8800s to take a look at a newer card (like those Radeons).

Good find on those articles Scratch. :)
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Fudzilla and other sites really like the card too, but I would still pay an extra $15 or more and get a 4850.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

great card upgrading to either this or a 4850 next month

but i cant find the one in the reviews with the nice dual slot cooler all i find is a weird looking single slot cooler with no casing

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
          Fudzilla and other sites really like the card too, but I would still pay an extra $15 or more and get a 4850.
          I don't think I would. These things appear to overclock really well even with the stock cooler. Add the power savings to that and I think I'd go with the 4770.
          sigpic

Comment

And think for $15 how much more you could overclock a 4850.
            Truly though, I think the decision should be based partly on what games you look to be playing, and what rez you play at. The 4770 isn't going to be able to handle higher rezs as well.

Also notice in the reviews the Nvidia 250 (or 9800) beats it in I think all the tests I have seen, yet sells for the same price after rebates. Newegg has one as low as $110.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not poopooing the 4770. It is a good first step towards 40nm, but for the kind of gaming most of us look to be doing in the next year or 2, this card is going to come up pretty short. Lots of good games coming out to be excited about, and they all look like they are going to want a good gpu.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I think its just better to wait for the dx11 cards to come out, 5800 series...

TG-6th|Almightylion

"It's feedom for everybody or freedom for nobody"" - Malcolm X

Comment

http://magicboxlive.blogspot.com/200...to-900mhz.html

nice overclock?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement