Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lazy Newb Raid Question

Okay too lazy to google search answers.

1. If I set up a Raid 0 with two identical 500gb drives, do I get 1tb of storage or simply 500mb? I assume the latter due to my understanding of mirroring the drive

2. Can you partition with a raid 0?

3. If so would it be better to setup an OS dedicated partition in a Raid 0 step up or would it be better to have a separate additional drive simply dedicated to the OS?

It is for maximum gaming potential

Re: Lazy Newb Raid Question

Do yourself a favor, and google stuff like this to full understand it and what it will entail.

RAID 0 will take your drives and stripe them, giving you the full size offered from combining the two.

RAID 1 will mirror them, giving the storage of one while mirroring the data onto the other.

Comment

Okay did my google and have a new question.

Raid 0 for gaming right. What size stripe is optimal?

Comment

Why do you think RAID 0 is for gaming? It does improve read rate (since you're reading data from two spindles) but you might better invest the money in more memory to give you a bigger disk cache. That would be slower for first use of data but faster for frequent use of the same disk data (eg. the 2nd time you loaded a game map).

RAID 0 is best for applications where you need fast reads for data that's not frequently read, like in large databases.
        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

RAID 0 is nice for many things that require reading from a hard disk, gaming is one of these things. You'll notice a much improved time in loading levels/saves when you play a game, other than that, there won't be any improvements.

I use a 64k stripe size. I read an article that said this was an optimal size to maximize the storage size of the disk, but I can't remember.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X