Duel Band Router

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duel Band Router

Hey guys! Well my family recently demanded a wirelesss network for the house, so I set it up. My PC still uses a wired connection but I've discovered an issue; whenever a family member works on the wireless (fairly often, but not too often) my ping spikes like crazy and makes most games unplayable. This upsets me as I just bought a Wireless-G Netgear router. I've heard duel band wireless routers do the trick but the guy at MicroCenter talked my dad out of going for one.

Any solutions or suggestions to my latency issues? Right now I'm looking at one of these.

Re: Duel Band Router

A dual band router will only help if you're experiencing interference on the 2.4ghz frequency. But that probably isn't happening in your case.

There's probably not much you can do. Maybe your router has some settings to prioritize packet flow to certain programs or computers. When other computers on your network access the internet some of the data coming in goes to their computer, which holds up the data going to yours--and the same with outgoing data--and this is causing your latency issues.

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
      A dual band router will only help if you're experiencing interference on the 2.4ghz frequency. But that probably isn't happening in your case.

There's probably not much you can do. Maybe your router has some settings to prioritize packet flow to certain programs or computers. When other computers on your network access the internet some of the data coming in goes to their computer, which holds up the data going to yours--and the same with outgoing data--and this is causing your latency issues.
      In other words, see if QoS is available on the router and on your computer's network card. If you're go for both, then set it up and that should do the trick.
      "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
      Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

As for QoS settings, you'll need to prioritize gaming packets with "high" and web surfing packets as "low". That way your game's packets go out first and thus would reduce your over latency (ping times). When prioritizing your packets, you'll need to know which ports you games uses.

Out of curiosity, which Netgear router do you have? If you have a open source firmware compatible model, you could "upgrade" your firmware to use something like DD-WRT or Tomato so you'll have access to more advanced QoS options.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

QoS is very important. I have the same set of circumstances and I use a DIR-825 with perfect gaming. The one you picked out is designed for this type of thing so its presumedly better then mine.

Comment

I have a WGT624 v4.

Nothing that fast but when I bought it I had zero experience with wireless.

Comment

Originally posted by DrBeat View Post
              I have a WGT624 v4.

Nothing that fast but when I bought it I had zero experience with wireless.
              According to DD-WRT's official "supported hardware" checker, your Netgear router is support. Unfortunately, Tomato doesn't seem to support any Netgear routers.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                When prioritizing your packets, you'll need to know which ports you games uses.
                The easy rule of thumb is to let UDP go to the front of the line and make TCP wait behind those. Most games use UDP, as does VOIP. Web, email, and most P2P uses TCP.

You should also let TCP acks go to the front of the line. These are tiny packets that acknowledge that data was received. If they're not sent promptly, the remote end will retry, and choke up the pipe with needless retries.
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

My router has automatic classification w/QoS. It worked out of the box, with no setup. It recognizes, bittorrent, games, voip, web etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
                    My router has automatic classification w/QoS. It worked out of the box, with no setup. It recognizes, bittorrent, games, voip, web etc.
                    One of the nice pluses with a expensive "gaming" router is that QoS comes pre-configured at the factory.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X