Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To anybody dual-booting Win7 + Other Windows RC

Aight I'm really tired and want to get straight to the point:

Just installed Windows7 on my laptop (alongside Vista) and it installed and works like a charm. BUT one thing is giving me a headache.

I get a weird drive letter swapping problem.

Under Vista, my Vista partition is using "C" and the Windows 7 partion is using "F".

When I boot on Win7, the drive letter changes to "C" and the Vista partition switches to "D".

It corrupts anything I download on Windows 7 and recquires a diskcheck evertime I boot on the other OS. I quickly browsed for an answer but couldnt get any real reason of why its doing this.

Its weird. Maybe I screwed up something during the install. Will look more into it tomorrow, can't be bothered right now. Plus I cant afford to corrupt college stuff on my Vista partition tonight :P

But right now, im heading to bed.

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
    The BigC

Re: To anybody dual-booting Win7 + Other Windows RC

After you partitioned your HDD, did you reformat the new partition before installing Wiin7?

Additionally, did you check the hash of your ISO or check to see if the image is corrupted/incomplete?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

the current OS partition will default itself to c: so a drive with xp, then vista, then win7 (geometry of the drive from beginning to end) would have c:, d:, and e:.

while in xp, the drive would arrange c,d,e
      while in vista it would arrange d,c,e
      and 7 would arrange it d,e,c

I don't think you can tell an os to install to d: or whatever anymore... I think it makes whatever partition it is installed on become c: while in that OS, and everything else arranges around it.
      Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
      The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
        After you partitioned your HDD, did you reformat the new partition before installing Wiin7?
        Yes. Partitioned then formated as NTFS

Additionally, did you check the hash of your ISO or check to see if the image is corrupted/incomplete?
        Nope.

Originally posted by =DdogG= View Post
        the current OS partition will default itself to c: so a drive with xp, then vista, then win7 (geometry of the drive from beginning to end) would have c:, d:, and e:.

while in xp, the drive would arrange c,d,e
        while in vista it would arrange d,c,e
        and 7 would arrange it d,e,c

I don't think you can tell an os to install to d: or whatever anymore... I think it makes whatever partition it is installed on become c: while in that OS, and everything else arranges around it.
        I dual boot Vista and XP on the desktop. When im under Vista, the drive letter is still "C" and when im under XP the drive letter remains to "F"

Ill try reinstalling it later today. See what I can come up with.

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
        The BigC

Comment

when you are on xp, the xp partition is "f"?
          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
          The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG= View Post
            when you are on xp, the xp partition is "f"?
            Yes. On my desktop computer, both partitions keep their original drive letter I used when I first partitioned. When I boot into Vista, it uses the "C" drive letter and I see the XP partition as "F"

Then when I boot under windows XP, it uses the "F" drive letter and the Vista partition is still "C".

There is no switch in the drive letter. Whereas my laptop is, for some reason (and I think it might be the source of my problem) is switching letters.

When I boot into Vista, it uses "C" and I see my Windows7 partition as "F".
            But when I boot under Windows7, it seems like it switches the "F" for a "C" and make my Vista partition "D".

I dont have classes this afternoon. I'll run some more test and look further into it. If anybody has an idea, help is greatly appreciated.

Xm

The BigC

Comment

EDIT: Nevermind, got it fixed. I poped the Windows 7 DVD in and scanned for error. Im golden now. It works like a charm.

I love the OS so much.

The BigC

Comment

I am doing a dual boot on 2 hard drives tomorrow, hope to not run into a problem like this. Figured if I keep both harddrives plugged in there should be no weird letter switching!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X