Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are ISPs hacking speedtest.net for better results?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are ISPs hacking speedtest.net for better results?

I've have a 12Mb internet connection with TimeWarner (RoadRunner) for several years now. Speedtest.net has consistently shown my download speed right at 12 Mb/s. However, I just tested it today and it is now showing 27.7 Mb/s. Yet after testing actual bandwidth on several sites such as Microsoft MSDN which I know have a huge per-user bandwidth cap, my download speed is the usual 12 Mb/s.

I've heard people mention that some ISPs are doing reverse bandwidth filtering for speed testing sites such as this one so that customers always see absurdly high results. Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

Twisted Firestarter
    a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
    sigpic

Re: Are ISPs hacking speedtest.net for better results?

Hmmm. I'll be honest in saying that I'm not sure how fast my connection should be. I know it is Comcast between 12-16 mbs.

Comment

Try downloading a large file and see what rate it downloads at, and watch the download caps. :)

Comment

TWC is still fail

Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Try this test.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

TWC does suck.

Comment

Wow SpeedTest updated their site. I like the updated version: it loads faster and generally looks less cramped.

Here's my aDSL line through AT&T:

It's still accurate so I don't think AT&T has started any reverse bandwidth filtering on speedtest yet.

Please, you guys have me beat hands down and I probably pay as much as you guys do a month for a fraction of the (down) speed. Though I'm surprise your up speeds are so low. One would think with a 7 mbps down, you'd get at least 1.5 mbps up.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

10.82/1.0 for me... right on the money for what I pay for
                Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

not bad for the uk

Comment

Originally posted by browna3 View Post
                    not bad for the uk
                    :D thats plenty better than mine.

Comment

Is this good?

Last edited by Damonte; 03-20-2012, 09:42 AM. Reason: Fixed your tags
                      "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

Guys, remember that most of these tests are going to be skewed. Many of the big ISPs in the US have back-end programs that give you a huge bandwidth boost for the first 1-5mb of any download/connection. Comcast calls it "powerboost". This effects running speed test and will show you numbers that are significantly higher than what you would see for a long-term connection. If you want accurate results, copy the IP of the connection you're trying on speedtest, google a program (free) called PingPlotter and set yourself up for a 5 minute run on the site. The newer version of the program will give you bandwidth readouts as well as ping times.

Comment

my linux ISO download speeds are almost exactly what that my speedtest.net benchmark is.
                          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                          The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Mine are showing accurately. It would be very hard for an ISP to tweak such results - and for what?

Comment

Minw is way inflated. Comcast. This was run while my girlfriend was watching a TV show streaming over teh internets as well.

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X