PS3 Media Server questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS3 Media Server questions

So I'm looking to make a server that will house all my various videos, pictures and what not so that I can access them from my PS3. Trying to save myself from burning DVD's all the time.

I've never done this before. Is there anything special that I'll need to do aside from hooking it all up and telling the PS3 to find a media server? I could use either an XP pro or Server 2003 box for the actual file storage. Is there any OS that would be better for this task?

As long both the server and PS3 are hooked into the same router, they should be able to find each other right?

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Re: PS3 Media Server questions

It's pretty simple. The PS3 will find any DLNA-compatible media server, such as Windows Media Player. Here is a setup guide: http://www.somelifeblog.com/2007/08/vista-setup.html
    Twisted Firestarter
    a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
    sigpic

Comment

Ok, but what about files that won't play in WMP? For instance I've got .avi files that won't work with WMP but will play with VLC and when I burned them to a disk they play on the PS3. Will go over even though WMP can't work the file?

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder228 View Post
        Ok, but what about files that won't play in WMP? For instance I've got .avi files that won't work with WMP but will play with VLC and when I burned them to a disk they play on the PS3. Will go over even though WMP can't work the file?

thats a tough one, why not try it and see?

Comment

Before I got my new router, I was using Twonky: http://www.twonkyvision.de/
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder228 View Post
            Ok, but what about files that won't play in WMP?
            The DLNA server will support AVI files, even if WMP does not. So, yes, you should be able to see them on your computer and play them on your PS3. And, as Cing mentioned, there are plenty of free and paid DLNA servers to be had for all OSs. Twonky is one of the better ones.
            Twisted Firestarter
            a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
              Before I got my new router, I was using Twonky: http://www.twonkyvision.de/
              And what is your new Router and model number?

Comment

I would HIGHLY recommend TVersity.
                http://tversity.com/

That being said, PlayOn is also a great application. I run both of them on my machine and feed just about everything up to my PS3. Music, movies, pictures, YouTube, Netflix, HULU, etc.

PlayOn can be found here:
                http://www.themediamall.com/playon
                Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I 'd recommend Tversity, I can play all content (DVD, AVI, MPEG,...) and even have my own subtitles (SRT, SUB).

The only thing that bothers me about it is that it sometimes has problems with fast forwarding (probably because it has to stream everything first and can't just skip it).
                  Xfire: Iaintyourm8 | Ingame: GhostDog | Steam: Zuigmijnballen

Comment

Oh yeah, I wanted to let everyone know. TVersity was the way to go. WMP barely worked. Now I have all my ripped eps of The Office and some movies that I can watch through the magic of DLNA.

Now, here's a question. Using the Pro version of Tversity, it says I can stream online content like Hulu. Will it stream to the PS3, or do I have to have something like a SlingBox?

Comment

TVersity rocks! Unlike WMP, TVersity actually located everything on my hard drive! The setup was really easy too. I might just buy the pro version so I can stream Hulu. Thanks for the advice, everyone! WMP was starting to really annoy me.
                      "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X