Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the best way to back up my entire drive?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best way to back up my entire drive?

Okay I'm talking about my office computer. I have my own office where I keep all of my client files email etc..... EVERYTHING and I mean everything is on the computer. I'm completely paperless when it comes to client files now and I need the best most economical way to back this information up.

I'm thinking I want remote back up so if someone steals the whole computer I'm not S.O.L. I want to buy a external harddrive and first download the whole drive then do incremental backups after the fact via remote access.

But I'm also tossing around the idea of having the drive be portable and just carrying it to the office once a week and back up..... which way is best?

So here are the computer and ISP specs which might make a difference on which way would be best to do this.

ISP:
    AT&T DSL 5MB down and 450Kb upload on average. (It's the upload which would slow me down on syncing to my external harddrive via the internet and AT&T is the best service I can get where the office is located)
    Computer:
    Vista ultimate 64
    IDE drives unfortunately no SATA on this computer
    1G Eithernet connection
    (I think that is all the information pertinent to what I'm attempting to achieve)

NOTES:
    I know I would probably want a network drive but I'm up in the ari about which one to get and what software I would need on it.

Any help in this matter would greatly be appreciated.
    "The mind stretched to a new concept can never return to it's orginal dimension."
    "What the mind can conceive and believe..... it can achieve."

The Mediator

Re: What's the best way to back up my entire drive?

Check out this thread http://www.tacticalgamer.com/hardwar...ge-backup.html
    I am looking into this as well since I had messed up and accidently formatted the wrong HD with all my photos on it....and music.

Comment

Bingo: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/general...ncryption.html

I get to say, once again, how pleased I am with Mozy. Of course, if anything ever goes wrong, I'll curse them forever, but for now I'm very happy with their service. Set it up and forget about it. The initial back up will take a while, but after that, it will only have to upload the things that have changed.
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

why not do a complete backup to an external hd and then incremental to flash drives that you take with you. For that matter you could probably back up all of your important files to the flash drives and not need the external. I know they make 16 gigs and probably are bigger now.
        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Thanks for the information.... I'll check out the links.
          "The mind stretched to a new concept can never return to it's orginal dimension."
          "What the mind can conceive and believe..... it can achieve."

The Mediator

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...