RAM problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM problem

No... no one is trying to smash into me with a large metal plate attached to their car..

OK, I bought some new ram for my WIndows XP computer.
    In the dos setup, it shows that I have all 6 gigs of ram installed and available.
    In windows XP system properties under the general tab, it only says I have 3.25 gigs of ram. Is there something I need to do to get XP to realize I have 6 and use it all?

The 4 strips of ram are
    2 strips of 1 gigs each
    2 strips of 2 gigs each

I thought about pulling them out and reversing their order, put the 2 gig chips in the first, then add the 1 gigs in the other spots...

but the setup sees what I have. I know windows is evil, but....
    "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
    Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
    " Ednos

sigpic

Re: RAM problem

Originally posted by Skylark View Post
    I know windows is evil, but....
    32 bit XP is limited to 4G total address space

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Any 32 bit system can only address 4 GB total (which includes GPU and other add-on cards), be it linux or 32 bit Win 7.

This is not a case of windows being evil...
      Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Originally posted by Reaperassault View Post
        Any 32 bit system can only address 4 GB total (which includes GPU and other add-on cards), be it linux or 32 bit Win 7.

But it's funnier that way :madsmile:

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Nope. It's evil. EVIL I TELL YOU! Why? Because I cna't use the other 2 gigs! Therefore it is evil. So there!

oh well.
          Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
          " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

add-on... buy why 3.25 gigs shows up in window? that's a weird number.
            " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

download windows 7 RC1 64 bit

Comment

Originally posted by Reaperassault View Post

!
                Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/hardwar...-question.html

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/hardwar...4gigs-ram.html

That was from searching for "memory" in threads I posted in. There's probably also some threads about 64 bit OS, but that's harder to search for because the forum software likely doesn't allow search terms shorter than 4 characters. (The forum software on my board keeps every word in a database for searching, and keeping the very short words would balloon the database.)
                  Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by Skylark View Post
                    add-on... buy why 3.25 gigs shows up in window? that's a weird number.
                    Has to do with things like the size of your graphics card VRAM, etc.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X