LCD Monitor: HDMI Option Nessary?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCD Monitor: HDMI Option Nessary?

Honestly have not been keeping up with tech that much so I am not sure the direction of Graphics Cards, which leads to my question. I am looking at getting a new LCD monitor so I can run a dual display setup. After briefly looking at new models it seems there is a popular trend to include HDMI inputs. I have no needs for an HDMI input, my Geforce 8800 has two DVI outs. However when I upgrade to a new rig in a year or two I will of course be getting a new graphics card. My question is: is HDMI replacing VGA and DVI on the computing side? do you think in the future there will me "gaming" graphics cards with HDMI out only, if so should I go ahead and get an HDMI LCD in preparation for future computer upgrades?

Thanks

Re: LCD Monitor: HDMI Option Nessary?

I doubt it. You get the exact same picture quality from DVI and HDMI and the connectors on DVI work a lot better.
    sigpic

Comment

I think an HDMI option would be nice in case you want to hook up an additional source besides your computer to the monitor. Such as your Satellite Box/Cable Box.
      "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

DVI and HDMI are both use digital signals, you can use dongles or cables with one on one end and the other on the opposite end without loosing any of the signal quality.

VGA will disapear though.

Comment

You can use an adapter to convert DVI to HDMI without loss of picture quality. Or a cable like this one:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

The difference is DVI does not carry sound. HDMI can transfer 8 Channel LPCM Output also known as True HD sound. Video cards in the future or a few in the present carry sound information. But this is mostly used for HTPCs. Unless speakers are going to be connected to monitors instead of PCs in the future using HDMI, it shouldn't be an issue for your two monitor set up.

VGA is not a protected video path, therefore, you will not be able to display protected content ( At least this is the theory behind HDCP. In practice it is turning out to be not as strict). To be safe though, I would plan on an HDCP compliant solution (either DVI + HDCP) or HDMI.

Comment

I think it would be worth having, just in case. My dad just bought a 24" HP LCD, and connects his laptop to it with HDMI for a bigger monitor. Otherwise he would be stuck with VGA.
            As Hambergler said, more and more cards are coming with HDMI as well.
            Something you might look for also is Display Port. It is pretty much the same thing as HDMI, except it doesn't require royalties to be paid like HDMI does, so a lot of makers are considering using it. Might be a good more future proof option.
            By the way, a lot of people us the HDMI connection to hook their Xbox/PS3 up to a small LCD as well, so they can play when they can't use the big tv in the living room.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

eh looks like I can get a HDMI to DVI like people pointed out, and if there really is no loss of quality it does not matter. Thanks for the help all

Comment

There is no quality loss. My friends 4870x2 has 2 DVI's. When we hooked it up to the tv with a dvi to hdmi dongle and a 35ft hdmi cable. The picture was perfect and there was sound.

|TG-12th| Troublesome4u

Comment

Originally posted by troublesome4u View Post
                  There is no quality loss. My friends 4870x2 has 2 DVI's. When we hooked it up to the tv with a dvi to hdmi dongle and a 35ft hdmi cable. The picture was perfect and there was sound.
                  wow 35 ft hdmi cable sounds expensive.

Comment

The only 2 reasons I see to pay extra for an HDMI port are:

- you 're buying an LCD with speakers and want the sound to be carried over one cable
                    - you 're going to connect another device that uses HDMI (PS3, cable box, blu ray...)

If both of the above lines don't apply to you, there 's really no reason to spend extra money for an LCD with an HDMI connector. On the other hand, if you can get one for the same price, I 'd go for it. Personnaly I prefer DVI to connect my pc to my LCD because it attaches much better (screws) and there 's no difference in quality.
                    Xfire: Iaintyourm8 | Ingame: GhostDog | Steam: Zuigmijnballen

Comment

Originally posted by RedTalon View Post
                      wow 35 ft hdmi cable sounds expensive.
                      No more so than any other cable at that length. HDMI cables aren't anything special really, people just get hooked into paying for brands much of the time. Sony in particular charges a ridiculous amount for their HDMI cables.
                      a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                      Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                      Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                      Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                      Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

The DVI to HDMI cable is nice!!! I have my pc hooked up to a 52inch LG plasma and it is nice!!!!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X