Netflix in Media Center!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netflix in Media Center!

I just opened up media center today and saw that Netflix can now be used in Windows media Center. This is an official install from Netflix and you can search and add movies to your cue right in Media Center!

I also found this app called TunerFree for media center that lets me watch hulu. It it a bit of a hack but it works.

Now if there was just a NPR/PBS plugin I would not even need TV.

BTW, has anybody tried PlayOn app for windows? It is supposed to be a media server that will allow you to "broadcast" Hulu, CBS, ESPN, youtube and other internet video to xbox, xbox360, playstation and other devices.

They want $30 for the beta but you do get 14 day free trial.

I haven't yet but am interested.
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: Netflix in Media Center!

I read about the netflix/MC news the other day and am happy to hear it. It might convince me to start using MC, especially since Netflix.com streaming won't work with firefox.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I've been using Mediafox for TV Shows. It's a custom configuration of firefox portable, so it wont affect your current install.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
        I read about the netflix/MC news the other day and am happy to hear it. It might convince me to start using MC, especially since Netflix.com streaming won't work with firefox.
        Really? I was streaming a movie the other day on Netflix in Firefox.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
          BTW, has anybody tried PlayOn app for windows? It is supposed to be a media server that will allow you to "broadcast" Hulu, CBS, ESPN, youtube and other internet video to xbox, xbox360, playstation and other devices.

They want $30 for the beta but you do get 14 day free trial.
          PlayOn is great when it works. The file structure used to browse the different shows they offer is pretty formal. Atleast with hulu if you seem something you like on the website you can put it in your queue and then easily go to the queued folder to start watching on your device.

The downside was that all shows are organized in folders by numerical or alphabetical order according to title name. Which is a great organizational scheme but bad for stumbling across shows that might interest you and you have to go into the subfolder of any show to get a still image of the show.
          Also I used to get a not insignificant amount of errors due to data being corrupted. Which is basically the programs way of saying it could not buffer the stream at that time and got tired of waiting.

Comment

So did you ever try PlayOn?

Comment

Originally posted by amu107.9 View Post
              So did you ever try PlayOn?
              I downloaded but never installed. This happens a lot lately. To busy with kids and deadlines and whatnot.
              - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
              - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
              - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
              - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Finally installed and tested this out.

The Good:
                - Easy installation (I am using the RC Win 7). Just install and type in your login info for the services you have.
                - Can watch my netflix on demand movies without paying for the gold membership and the quality is fine. That means it pays for itself in about 6 months of use.
                - Hulu and youtube video can also be watched. For hulu it puts your profile marked videos in a separate folder.
                -There is a revision 3 plugin that allow you to watch that video.
                -Home server is supported.
                -It will serve up just about any video file you have on your computer. Avi, WMV, quicktime etc. It played every video I had.

The bad:
                -The interface is on the Xbox is just a series of folders for categories and then alphabetical lists. So folder "A" has videos that start with "A". Not a fault of PlayOn but it does make just browsing a pain.

Overall I think this is a very good product worth the money.

Comment

I think it's cool that I have the option to include UK programs, too. I'd be interested to see what they watch on the other side of the pond.
                  "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                  Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X