GTX v GTS?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTX v GTS?

Hey Guys...Going to grab a new vid card in anticipation of ARMA 2... I am running a 9600GT right now... but have been looking at the GTX260 cards (around the $160 price point...my sweet spot).. But am not sure about the GTS cards...
    Anyone have a recommendation or a reason why I shoud get X over Y.. ? I wasnt to stick with the NVidia Platform at this point though..

Thanks!
    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
    ..now where did I put my keys?

Re: GTX v GTS?

I considered a 260, then figured I would just spend the extra for the 275, and have not regretted it. Running ArmA with a 10,000m view distance and everything full at a 1680 X 1050 res, getting 60ish FPS. So it is a BEAST of a card! The 260, Viper has, he may be able to hook you up, but he said he runs ArmA full settings OK with a good viewdistance.

Comment

I would go with the 260 at least. As you have seen from the youtube vids, ARMA 2 can look amazing if you have a good card running it. And the 250GTS I think you are talking about is just a rebranded 9800 if I remember right.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
        I would go with the 260 at least. As you have seen from the youtube vids, ARMA 2 can look amazing if you have a good card running it. And the 250GTS I think you are talking about is just a rebranded 9800 if I remember right.
        You do remember correctly. The 250 and lower are basically rebranded 8800/9800GT/GTX+ on a different PCB with better power management. The GTX260 core 216 is a monster of a card and you should be really happy with it.
        sigpic

Comment

Even before the Geforce 200 series came out, GTX was more powerful than GTS. I would definitely go with the GTX 260 Core 216 as well.

Comment

What if it requires to much power. A gtx260 requiers 500 watts. Unfortunatly my powersupply is exactly 500 watts!
            |TG|Ghost02
            TG Pathfinder

"I travel alone through the valley of the shadow of death, yet in my heart I carry no fear, for Gods hands will guide me to Truth and Honor."

Comment

Toms hardware does very thorough ratings of graphics cards to compare
              http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts...core,1067.html

and you can compare cards off against eachother, tick 2 and compare

also, as already mentioned, the new graphics cards are very power hungry and may need 500watts just for the graphics card, so you may need a new 700watt supply to run your pc with the uber gpu

Comment

Tom's is OK, but a lot of people are not refering to Toms any more due to some rather crappy done reviews they have done recently. Some stuff is still good, but also you have to remember that drivers are a big deal, and even if they did a through review on a card, if it was done with early drivers it could see a huge boost with more recent ones.

Also, there is no card out there that we would buy that uses 500watts. I remember seeing some of the reviews for like the X2 cards and the most they used under load was like 300-325 watts. A 260 if I remember right would run in the 200-300 watts under load range, so a 500watt PSU might cut it close depending on how good a quality the PSU is. But I have seen really good deals lately for like OCZ PSUs with 600-700watts for $60 after rebates.

You might consider getting a good new PSU with like 750 watts because like a good PC case, that is something that doesn't really get outdated quickly like a GFX card or CPU, and it can last you through a few upgrades over many years.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I'm running an Antec Truepower 850 so I should have enough power (although the three HD's may stress her a bit..)

Maybe this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125267
                  |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
                  ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...