Dual Boot Situation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Boot Situation

Lastnight, I decided to setup a dualboot with Windows XP Pro, and Fedora Core 3. I already had my 2 120gig hard drives setup as NTFS. So, on the second harddrive I resized the NTFS partition to half via Partition Magic, and installed linux.

Core 3 was the only OS available on the bootloader, so I let it go. In order to get back into Windows, I used the cd, went into repair mode, and fixed the mbr.

Now, my question.... I have fedora core 3 installed, but dont know how to get both windows AND fedora on my bootloader options. Any ideas, software, etc that I could use? Google was no help here, there's just way to many variables to deal with.
    birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Re: Dual Boot Situation

That's odd that Fedora didn't set up the bootloader to include Windows.

You have two options for dual booting. You can set up the Windows bootloader to include Linux or you can get back into Linux and reinstall Grub or LILO to boot Windows.

For a Windows bootloader: http://www.linuxforums.org/tutorials...rial-3573.html

For using a Linux bootloader: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...hreadid=237511

Generally, I think it'll be easier to use a Linux bootloader. It handles Windows pretty well. Whenever you want to make changes to your boot setup, you just edit the conf file in Linux. It'll be handy when you want to recompile different versions of your kernel.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply Sarc. I'll try that out now, and post back (hopefully).
      birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Comment

Originally posted by ImAWuss
        Now, my question.... I have fedora core 3 installed, but dont know how to get both windows AND fedora on my bootloader options. Any ideas, software, etc that I could use? Google was no help here, there's just way to many variables to deal with.
        Sometimes, but not all the time, you need to manually add Windows to the bootloader (Lilo/GRUB), which takes all of 5 minutes and a text editor.

I can't recall if Fedora uses GRUB or LILO.

LILO should look like:

prompt
        timeout=50
        default=linux
        boot=/dev/hda
        linear
        image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-14
        label=linux
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.18-14.img
        read-only
        other=/dev/hda1
        label=win

GRUB should look like:

default=1
        timeout=5
        title Linux
        root (hd0,1)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-14 ro
        initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.18-14.img
        title Win
        rootnoverify (hd0,0)
        chainloader +1

Comment

I recently did this with my laptop. Here are some of the things I learned that helped out immensely...

Partition your primary drive with a small (4MB) partition to be used as the boot partition.

Install Windows onto the next partition on your drive. Don't go any further than just getting XP installed and booting.

Install Linux next. When you install Linux you want to install the GRUB bootloader onto the small 4MB partition and NOT onto the MBR. When installing the GRUB config should see that you have another OS and allow you to give it a new label (name) and pick your primary boot OS.

You can't have more than 4 primary partitions on a drive. So you may want to have one boot partition (GRUB), one Windows OS Partition, and one Linux partition broken up with logical drives for /swap, and /. That leaves you room for one more primary partition on the main drive that you can break up into logical drives in Windows.

There's also a bit of a drive geometry issue with Fedora Core 3 too. If you encounter issues with the drive geometry when installing, let me know and I'll dig out my notes on the fix for that.
          Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X