Exciting and different graphics card issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exciting and different graphics card issues

Not at all related to Vodkatonic's troubles...

I have just gotten a wave of graphic issues, starting with a random involuntary reboot (already a bad sign). The issue was: On bootup, the system would function normally for a few seconds, then start a constant, non-stop flickering. Once the flickering began, the system would also stop responding to -- or possibly, just displaying changes from -- mouse and keyboard input. A hard reset would start the cycle again. Some actions (switching between application windows) would speed up the onset of flickering, but it seemed to invariably start. Alternatively, I'd get rapidly flickering black lines across the screen, either appearing all on their own or, again, when I tried to switch apps or do anything else even slightly productive.

The problem seemed to disappear when I booted into safe mode, but I left the machine on for a few hours and came back to find that the issue reappeared, even while still booted in safe mode. From that point on, the machine exhibits constant visual artifacts, appearing as soon as the boot cycle begins. Squares of randomly flashing colours and various ASCII symbols.

All of which leads me to believe this is a hardware issue rather than a software one, unless something went ahead and corrupted my BIOS. I've established this isn't a monitor problem, but am pretty stuck beyond that -- this is the only system I have that will take a PCIe card, and my only other graphics card is an old AGP x8. I don't suppose that's compatible with the PCIe x16 slot...?

Any thoughts on what I can do? I haven't tried booting from a startup disk yet -- that's next. I don't want to overnight-ship a new video card if that turns out to not be the cause, but short of borrowing someone's computer and plugging the card into it, I can't think of what else I can do.

The box in question:
    WinXP Pro 32bit
    XFX Geforce 8600 GT XXX 620M 256MB card
    Asus P5K SE mobo
    Intel E4400 CPU
    4GB OCZ DDR2 PC-6400 RAM (3.2 detected, damn XP 32 bit)

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
    --BlackMirror
    <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
    Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
    --Blackraven93

Re: Exciting and different graphics card issues

Sounds like it could be a heat or possibly power issue. I'd try opening your case and setting a large fan to blow air through it and see if that helps.

Comment

Well, if it's a heat issue, then something's already been baked into slag: With the case open and the chassis fan set to max, no improvement. CPU temp 45C, mobo temp 31C. No GPU temp sensor, sadly.

As for power... I don't know enough about power requirements, but it strikes as weird that the system would be stable for 15 months and then suddenly develop an issue.

In the meantime, confirmed that it's not the DVI cable, either. So much for simple solutions :/

--BlackMirror
      <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
      --Blackraven93

Comment

If the power supply was near its limit for 15 months it may have degraded in quality and no longer be able to properly supply the systems needs.
        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by Cheburash View Post
          starting with a random involuntary reboot (already a bad sign).
          Suggestion 1: Check the event log.
          Suggestion 2: Disable automatic restart.

At least, you'll get a BSOD with some information (write it down and post it).

edit: re-read your post. Could be a PSU issue as Namebot said.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Could try taking out the video card and see if it runs off onboard. What this will do is cut down the power consumption, and also help you trouble shoot if it is the video card. If your running onboard, without the video card plugged in, and it is still messed up I would say its some kind of motherboard issue (out of my realm...). If it is good, then I would investigate the video card / PSU route further.

Also, I'd just do a "feel" test on the GPU heatsink / card to see how hot it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
              If the power supply was near its limit for 15 months it may have degraded in quality and no longer be able to properly supply the systems needs.
              That's... Not reassuring. But since, as I'd mentioned, I don't have the foggiest about figuring out power demands, can you either give me a yea or nay, or point me to a resource on system power draw?

I'm running a 500W PSU (the standard with the Antec Sonata III retail box), which powers:
              The Asus P5K SE
              The Intel E4400
              Three HDDs (two IDE, one SATA)
              A DVD-/+RW drive
              Four sticks of DDR2 RAM
              One 120mm chassis fan

Plus some peripherals via USB, but I doubt that would make any difference to speak of.

Dick, thank you for the suggestions. Looking at the log right now would only give me a headache (yes, the graphic artefacts are that bad), but I will remember that for the future. I'll also disable the auto-reboot once the system is restored to proper working order - I hadn't even realized how much I'd missed good ol' BSOD! (nor had I realized auto-reboot was the default.)

ZaBoo, sadly, the mobo doesn't have onboard video. I really don't have a single machine to either test the GPU in or to pull an alternate GPU from. There's a lesson to be had, in there. Wish I knew what it was though :)

--BlackMirror
              --Blackraven93

Comment

Originally posted by Cheburash View Post
                The problem seemed to disappear when I booted into safe mode, but I left the machine on for a few hours and came back to find that the issue reappeared, even while still booted in safe mode. From that point on, the machine exhibits constant visual artifacts, appearing as soon as the boot cycle begins. Squares of randomly flashing colours and various ASCII symbols.
                If you 're getting artifacts, you can be pretty sure it 's a problem with your graphics card.

Things I 'd do to make sure:

- Remove all RAM except for one slot
                - Disconnect all HD 's except the one with the OS
                - Disconnect all CD-ROM drives

I 've seen artifacts being caused by bad memory, but only a few times and with specific systems. My money is on your graphics card, but I 'm afraid there 's only two ways to make sure. Either plug your card in another system (find a friend with a PCI-e slot in his pc) or borrow a PCI-e card from a friend, preferable an Nvidia from the same series so you don't have to change the drivers.

I 've had an ATI X1950 PRO card die in less than a year, fortunately I got it replaced by an Nvidia 8800GT. If you didn't overclock and you still have waranty, ask a replacement :).
                Xfire: Iaintyourm8 | Ingame: GhostDog | Steam: Zuigmijnballen

Comment

Usually the first thing I tell people to do is dust it out. Have you already tried that?

Secondly it sounds just like a heat issue. Your quality PSU probably wouldn't have degraded past 10% of it's rated output in less than 2 years.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Nope, definitely GPU. Picked up a replacement, and the system is back to operational status. First thing tomorrow morning: Call XFX and bitch ^H^H^H^H^H get the warranty replacement under way.

--BlackMirror
                    --Blackraven93

Comment

What kind of card did you get as a replacement?

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

PNY Verto. Essentially a GeForce 9400 GT. Nothing I intend to keep. I'm open to recommendations, though I expect my replacement budget won't exceed $100 or so. That is all assuming XFX doesn't come through with a replacement/repair, mind you. (opened a ticket this morning)

--BlackMirror
                        --Blackraven93

Comment

To bad this didn't happen last week. I saw an MSI 9800GT on sale on newegg for $59. It seemed criminal not to buy it.

Try this one. Only brand I'd put in my gaming rig.

9800GT

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder228 View Post
                            To bad this didn't happen last week. I saw an MSI 9800GT on sale on newegg for $59. It seemed criminal not to buy it.

Try this one. Only brand I'd put in my gaming rig.

9800GT
                            Brand being NVidia or EVGA? Because I seem to have the choice of EVGA, BFG,
                            or XFX, all for exactly the same money.

On top of all that, I'm rather enamoured with ATI right now -- my Radeon 9000 Pro lasted five years vs. 15 months for NVidia.

--BlackMirror
                            --Blackraven93

Comment

Brand being eVGA. Powerful well built cards. Only had one problem with them. I had a 7900GT back in the day that had a run of bad mem chips in it. They crossed shipped me a new one and extended the warranty a year for free. Great CSS.

I haven't use ATi for years. Last card I had was a Sapphire Radeon X800XL. That was a sturdy card. I don't have any experience with the newer ATi cards.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X