No announcement yet.

Newb looking to build gaming computer.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newb looking to build gaming computer.

Hey guys, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to hardware and building PC's. My current PC is about 3-4 years old and can run BF2-PR decently on low settings. I'm looking to build a new gaming PC on my own (heard that was the best route) to keep up with new and improving, more demanding games like the upcoming Arma 2 and even enhancing BF2-PR.

I don't even know where to begin. Good sites for good deals on equipment needed, etc. If you could help, please help me get on the right track. Ask any questions needed, thanks in advance for any help.
    |TG-Irr| JWG

Battlefield 2 - Project Reality

Re: Newb looking to build gaming computer.

newegg.com is the place to go

A good starting point is budget, how much are you looking to spend?
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Also, will you be using any of your stuff again (monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc)?

Comment

What size monitor do you plan on using? Graphic card will depend on that.
        My specs below, I need to upgrade my graphic card soon.

Motherboard: EVGA 780i
        Graphic Card: EVGA NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512
        Monitor: Dell 2407WFP-HC
        DVD: Philips SPD6104P SCSI DVD
        Sound: Creative X-FI Audio
        Power Supply: Corsair TX750W
        CPU: E8400
        Memory: Patriot 4G 2Gx2
        Hard Drive: 500G
        Case: Antec P182
        The Old Guy
        kin3
        sigpic

Comment

Like Reaper said, start with determining your budget. Once you have a pretty good idea of your max spending start looking at what kind of CPUs (processors) you can get within your budget. Once you've narrowed it down to something you can actually work with you can start looking at what motherboards are capable of supporting that processor, what graphics cards will support the games you want to play, what CPUs and Mobos support overclocking, other peripherals such as DVD-RW, sound cards, etc.
          Some things to think about
          • How long do you want this computer to last if not upgraded at all (future-proofing)
          • Other than gaming will you be doing any CPU-heavy tasks such as video export? A quad-core processor will probably help with these tasks.
          • Remember to calculate every material into your budget such as keyboard, speakers, etc.

If you need some simple comparisons of PC components my favorite place to look is www.tomshardware.com They have charts laying out tests of many CPUs and GPUs. Google is your friend when it comes to computer builds, you can find many reviews of products so there will be no need for guess-work when you're searching for the right component.

Comment

Thank you for the help. I don't know if I am going to end up building a computer, buying one, or not doing anything at all. I have a year until I goto the Marine Corps and I'll never touch this PC again. So considering not, in this case, "wasting" the money because of that.
            |TG-Irr| JWG

Comment

Originally posted by JWG View Post
              Thank you for the help. I don't know if I am going to end up building a computer, buying one, or not doing anything at all. I have a year until I goto the Marine Corps and I'll never touch this PC again. So considering not, in this case, "wasting" the money because of that.
              If you are leaving soon, why not post up your current specs? Maybe an upgrade would better fit your situation.

Comment

I would recommend getting a laptop then. At least you would be able to carry it with you to the Marine Corps.

Comment

Originally posted by DrBeat View Post
                  If you are leaving soon, why not post up your current specs? Maybe an upgrade would better fit your situation.
                  I was thinking about that. I'm on another computer at the moment. I'll post specs next chance I get tomorrow.

FL1- Yea, I will eventually get one for the Corps later on.
                  |TG-Irr| JWG

Comment

Goggle is your best friend!!!! any info you need you can find here.

Only the dead have seen the end of war

Plato

Comment

Originally posted by Wookiie View Post
                      Goggle is your best friend!!!! any info you need you can find here.
                      He means Google not Goggle.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I think it depends on the circumstances. I can think of a lot of places where a good goggle will serve you a lot better than Google.
                        sigpic

Comment

Ok, so first I'd like to see if upgrading isn't an option to make new games playable (not high settings.. but smooth on low at the least). Possibly Arma 2? Looks nice, so I'd like to shoot for that as well.

MS Windows XP SP3
                          Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.40 GHz
                          1.0 GB Ram
                          ATI Radeon 9550 / X1050 Series

What is your guys (and gals) opinion on best upgrading this PC so that it can play new and upcoming games (like Arma 2 and improving BF2, etc) on at least a low settings with smoothness. Right now BF2- PR is playable and fairly smooth. Every now and then it'll freeze up for a few seconds.

Thanks guys in advance for taking the time to help me. I'd do the same if I was knowledgeable in the area. :)
                          |TG-Irr| JWG

Comment

Do you know how many watts your power supply has? That is the real determinant in what video card you can get.

I few months back I was running a very similar rig and I know I benefited from 4gb of ram.

Comment

Originally posted by DrBeat View Post
                              Do you know how many watts your power supply has? That is the real determinant in what video card you can get.

I few months back I was running a very similar rig and I know I benefited from 4gb of ram.
                              Negative. Where and how would I find the wattage my power supply has?
                              |TG-Irr| JWG

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...