File Host - Wuala

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File Host - Wuala

So, I currently have a 4shared and a megaupload account, but both have their limitations in some way. While searching around for a new site,m I stumbled across this in wikipedia:

File Host

I then looked at this one, and it sounds, well different! Anyone use it?

Wuala

And any favourites? I was considering a rapidshare account, and also a fileplanet account for the game end of things. Are they worth the money? Or are any freebies comparable?

I am also tempted by DropBox, not for the sync abilities, but the simplicity of use as a FTP

DropBox
    Last edited by Jeepo; 05-26-2009, 02:07 PM.

Re: File Host - Wuala

Wuala sounds kinda scary..you trade Local Drive space for Online storage... Even though local files are encrypted I don't have much confidence in hosting "unknown" files on my local machine.
    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
    ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

I wouldn't trust Wuala for anything given that they want to store files locally on your system in trade for online storage space.

As for online storage, DropBox is pretty good and there are a few other ones out there that are similar. I'd recommend a Filefront account (the free one) for gaming needs and such instead of a Fileplanet account since you don't have to pay for it and you still get to upload and have your files hosted there.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Just an update. So I started using Wuala, tentatively at first at work so I wasn't risking anything at home (the joys of working in a LAN centre) and TBH, it rocks. Here is the feature list.

http://www.wuala.com/en/learn/features

A few things in particular, it is FAST, it maxes my upload speed, then goes above it again by about half. Obviousely I can scale it up or down, but it is fast. People who I have linked stuff to say the DL's are crazy fast as opposed to other upload/download sites. I love how I can upload a file of ANY size, be in tiny or huge, such as 3gb! It also has a great UL/DL manager, in that I can turn my PC OFF and still continue later from where it was. Also, the free storage thing is nice if you DO have a spare old HDD lying around. I am up to 4gb of free storage now thanks to my work PC being on from 9-6 ish and I don't need to leave my PC on, that is just from normal use, not even connected to Wuala as such as no upload or download bandwidth is being used. Just having it on is enough to start amassing free storage. Also, if I choose to buy storage (which I am now tempted to) the prices are cheap compared to some, like 10GB for 15 EURO etc. Certainly something to consider.....

Comment

As long as it's not for anything over 100Mb, I use Mediafire. From the amount of time I've used it, it's proved itself to be reliable and fast, but you're limited to that 100Mb file size unless you go pro.
          It's Gaming
          Proud to have been a member of the 55th Infantry Division!

Comment

My biggest fear would be if my "shared" storage went away. Like in a fire or tornado. It sounds like my online storage would be lost.

I also don't like sharing my limited bandwidth with strangers.

Just to risky for a long term backup plan. For temporary file shareing type things? Might be good.
            Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
            - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
            - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
            - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
            - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
            - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
            - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I use dropbox for the ability to sync files. But to use it as an FTP is pretty easy as I uploaded a file for an admin tool for a guy in the CoD section here and it was very easy to get him a link for the program. Without having to go through the normal FTP setup.

Comment

I think I'll stick with my trusty 16 GB UFD and backup WD HDD. I also don't have a lot of bandwidth so I wouldn't want some guy I'm sharing space with hogging it up.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X