Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server Not Responding

To begin, please note that I have my PC dual-booted with Vista and XP

The problem is that in Windows Vista, server information (Like in Steam, XFire, ingame browsers) is unavailable! I can see how many players are on and which map is being played, but no matter what I do I can't get a player list (Steam tells me "Server Not Responding")
    • It's not a firewall issue
    • It's not a port forwarding issue
    • It's not a router issue
    • The problem doesn't exist under XP
    • This happens for ALL servers

Could there be a windows service that is or isn't running?

If anyone can help, that'd be great! Thanks :row__572:

Former E1st Heavyweight

Re: Server Not Responding

Perhaps some Steam DLL or process that is used to get the server player data is being blocked? I could never find the other processes Steam uses (besides the obvious ones like Steam.exe, HL2.exe, etc) so I couldn't tell you which process to look at.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

you may need to run those programs as administrator.

- -

Comment

Yeah, I thought of this too but I'm not running with UAC enabled at the moment. I can try anyway, I'll let you know if it works!

Former E1st Heavyweight

Comment

Wait. Didn't someone else have a similar problem with Steam from the E1st a while back? I remember, we never did figure out how to solve it.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by 1er View Post
            The problem is that in Windows Vista, server information (Like in Steam, XFire, ingame browsers) is unavailable! I can see how many players are on and which map is being played, but no matter what I do I can't get a player list (Steam tells me "Server Not Responding")
            Server browsers generally get info in two passes. First they go to the master server and get a list of IP addresses of active servers. This "summary" data may also contain a tiny amount of info about each server, and it's possible Steam's master server gives the player count and map name here.

In the second pass, the browser connects to each of the servers in the master browser's list and gets detailed info. This includes the list of players on that server.

You might try getting qstat, a command line server browser used by websites to construct their server status displays, and see what info it can collect when run from your XP and Vista setups.
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Another possibility is to run Ethereal, a network sniffer, to see what network traffic is going on when you run your server scan from the two environments. Compare the logs from the two scans and see if the XP one has notable connections not present in the Vista one.
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Okay, good advice Scratch, I'll certainly look into it.

I tried running as administrator and there was no joy!

As for who it was from the E1st with the same problem, it was me :P I couldn't find the old thread and I wanted to try again to see if there were any new ideas floating around :)

It has to be Vista not allowing something, surely. I just need to figure out what!

Former E1st Heavyweight

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X