Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setup and OC guide for ASUS P4P800/P4C800

Setup guide:

Pentium 4 Canterwood and ASUS P4x800 series.

Preface:

First off, I’d like to preface this little guide with a few words of wisdom. This guide is to inform the user how to setup a P4C / ASUS P4x800 configured machine in an overclocked manner. Overclocking CAN always place your system at increased risk for component failure. Make sure if you are overclocking with only aircooling, to purchase a high-quality heatsink unit. A list of recommended heatsinks will be included at the end of this BIOS setup guide. As following this guide will require you to make significant changes to your BIOS, I recommend reading and the re-reading your motherboards documentation to better familiarize yourself with your particular motherboards BIOS settings.

Why Overclock? :

Many people have asked me why they should bother to overclock their modern PCs. My only legitimate answer could and is summed up in one word: speed. Current generation CPUs and motherboards are created to exist in the WORST possible environment. To ensure component survival in the projected worst-case scenario, manufacturers are rather conservative in the speeds they mark their products as capable of. The fastest Intel Pentium 4 is currently the P4 3.2 GHz. This chip is rated at 3.2 GHz yet commonly reaches 4.2 + GHz in the hands of overclocking experts. The reason the chip is still marketed as a 3.2 instead of a 3.4 or 3.6 even, is because 3.2 is the top speed the chip can safely operate while strapped underneath a filthy, dust–choked heatsink. If you can ensure your PC will have a clean environment, good airflow and a high quality heatsink with which to wick away heat, you have MUCH more speed potential than you realize.

Motherboard, the ASUS P4P800 / P4C800 series:

The current generation of top Pentium 4 motherboards from ASUS is the P4x800 series. The two differing versions are the P4P800 and the P4C800. Both are virtually identical and feature the Intel 865pe and 875p chipsets respectively. These chipsets are known by the Intel codeword “Canterwood.” The ONLY major difference between the two is that the 875p natively features a feature known as P.A.T.
    P.A.T. is known as Performance Acceleration Technology and has the effect of reducing the latencies between the Northbridge and memory registers in the CPU. While Intel would have you believe that this feature greatly enhances the performance of the chipset, real-world testing has shown us that it nets a benefit of 5% at most. Bottom line is that either motherboard can serve as the foundation of an extremely high-performance system. Also of note is that even on the “slower” 865pe/P4P800 series P.A.T. has been enabled by ASUS in the form of M.A.M or Memory Acceleration Mode. Further on in this documentation, whenever a PAT setting is mentioned, P4P800 users should make that exact same adjustment for MAM.

B.I.O.S. Configuration and setup:

Once everything is installed and all IDE devices are detected be sure to boot up your system and check that everything is working properly. As this is NOT a complete system build guide, I’m going to assume you at least know how to properly assemble and basically setup your PC. This section of BIOS adjustments is for outlining how to OVERCLOCK your P4x800 based PC properly.

Depending on what CPU and memory you have, your settings will be different. The baseline system will be a P4 2.6 GHz and PC3200 memory. I will point out when differing CPU and memory speeds require a different setting than the baseline setup. Our goal overclock will be 3.52GHz with our P4 2.6 and PC3200 memory.

Advanced Menu options:

NOTE: After EVERY change in the Advanced Menu, save changes and reboot and re-enter the BIOS. As the ASUS P4x800 series is not fond of multiple speed/voltage and other changes being made all at once. If you find yourself with a dead machine after a change, simply power down and shut off the power supply then clear your CMOS. The process of tweaking and overclocking your PC is a process of trial and error. However I assure you that these changes will NOT harm your hardware in any permanent manner.

JumperFree configuration:

1. A.I. overclock tuner : Manual
    2. Performance mode : Auto

For now leave your CPU External Frequency where it is. Change the following:

CPU VCore voltage: 1.575v
    DDR reference voltage: 2.85v
    AGP VDDQ Voltage: 1.6v

These voltage boosts are safe, yet required for stability at the higher speeds your system will run. Once voltage changes are set, REBOOT and re-enter the Advanced Menu options. Now go to Advanced Chipset settings as we must prepare your RAM to be run at high speed.

Advanced Chipset settings:

1. Configure DRAM Timing by SPD : Disable

If you have high quality PC3200 / PC3500 memory (Corsair, OCZ, Mushkin, Geil, etc.) Follow these settings:

DRAM CAS Latency: 2.0
    DRAM RAS# Precharge: 2
    DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 3
    DRAM Precharge Delay: 5
    DRAM Burst Length: 4

If you have high quality PC3700 / PC4000 / PC4200 memory (Corsair, OCZ, Mushkin, Geil, etc.) Follow these settings:

DRAM CAS Latency: 3.0
    DRAM RAS# Precharge: 4
    DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 4
    DRAM Precharge Delay: 8
    DRAM Burst Length: 4

2. Performance Acceleration Mode : Auto
    3. DRAM Idle Timer : Auto
    4. DRAM Refresh Rate : Auto
    5. Graphic Adapter Priority: AGP/PCI
    6. Graphics Aperture Size: 128
    7. Spread Spectrum: Disabled
    8. ICH Delayed Transaction: Enabled
    9. MIPS Revision 1.1

CPU Speedup:

Now, you have higher voltage running through your system and your memory has had its latency tweaked in preparation. We now will embark on turning up your CPU to its maximum potential. Before we do however, I must explain something.

If you’re running a Pentium 4 2.4C or a 2.6C, you will be running a rather high front side bus, or FSB. In this case, as PC3200 and PC3500 are intended to run at a maximum of 220FSB, the memory won’t be able to hang with the CPU at the high FSB the CPUs require (Around 250-300FSB) So…JUST WHAT DO WE DO????

I’ll tell you my friend, we use a divider. The divider setting is known as “DRAM Frequency.” This setting lets you slow your RAM a bit compared to your CPU so the whole system is able to function. Follow this guide for setting the DRAM Frequency setting:

Go to Advanced Menu – JumperFree configuration – DRAM Frequency:

Pentium4 2.4-2.6 + All memory speed types = 320

Pentium4 2.8-3.2 + PC3200/PC3500 = 320

Pentium4 2.8-3.2 + PC3700/PC4000/PC4200 = 400

Once your DRAM Frequency is set properly, save and reboot back into the BIOS, as we will now set the final parameter: The CPU External Frequency or FSB (Front Side Bus speed)

Go to Advanced Menu - JumperFree configuration – CPU External Frequency (FSB):

Your final FSB will be determined by two things:

1. What speed CPU you have
    2. What speed you want

For the sake of simplicity, I will create a chart, and ALL of the listed CPUs will be overclocked to 3.52GHz. Of course the faster your CPU type and the type of cooling may allow you to reach much HIGHER speeds than 3.52GHz. Once adjusting the FSB, start in 20MHz increments and work up to your maximum. Once you start running into stability issues upon booting into windows, crank the FSB down about 10MHz. Congratulations, you’ve reached your maximum overclock!!! Of course this primer serves only as the most basic of guides. If one wants to really learn how to maximize the performance of their PC, I highly recommend joining overclocking websites and reading as much information as possible. I’m currently a member of : www.xtremesystems.org

1. P4 2.4 @ 3.52 GHz = 293 FSB
    2. P4 2.6 @ 3.52 GHz = 270 FSB
    3. P4 2.8 @ 3.52 GHz = 251 FSB
    4. P4 3.0 @ 3.52 GHz = 235 FSB
    5. P4 3.2 @ 3.52 GHz = 220 FSB

CPU Heatsink Choices:

Let’s keep this simple and to the point…Don’t buy crap. Purchase from only 3 companies:

Thermalright
    Swiftech
    Alpha

Be sure to attach these heatsinks with only the best in thermal compounds: Arctic Silver5.

Closing:

Well, I hope you found this both entertaining and informative. As the subject is rather complex, this is only the first revision of my guide.

ASUS Canterwood OC BIOS Guide Version 1.0a
    Sean M. Kaldahl aka. Spectre aka. Hollywood
    All rights reserved MCVIIIX, 2003 Bloatware Studios.
    most people get paid for this...

-=Spectre=-

Amendum:

HyperThreading

To DRASTICALLY increase performance in both games and benchmarking, DISABLE hyperthreading, as it allows NO process to EVER run over 50% CPU usage. Thats how it load balances, by splitting the CPU into two "virtual" concurrent processors. While this works well for playing a FPS and burning a DVD at the same time, if you have a game that needs more cpu power, it will be left lacking.

By turning off HT on your P4C, you make it more like an AMD CPU, as in your processing power isn't being artificially "split." Thus allowing the CPU to totally dedicate itself to the task at hand.

You disable HyperThreading in the BIOS under the Advanced Menu.

Example:

Without HT on a 3.0GHz CPU, the CPU will give all 3GHz of it's power to an application. While multitasking may be hurt, your performance in a game by itself will be MUCH higher. Now if you turn HT on, you have two "virtual" 1.5GHz CPUs, and your game will only get one of them. Now you can see why gamers aren't thrilled about HT very much, as very few programs are able to "see" HT and take advantage of it. (As in using both virtual processors to speed performance)

nice work... :)
    From Adam Webb

Comment

No problem m8, I'm gonna work the ABIT IC7 / IC7G series in as well soon. This guide applies to ALL P4 and Canterwood setups, you simply need to understand that different motherboards BIOS settings are by slightly different names.

-=Spectre=-

Comment

I added a section on disabling Hyperthreading to DRASTICALLY increase performance in SOME games.

Comment

Without HT on a 3.0GHz CPU, the CPU will give all 3GHz of it's power to an application. While multitasking may be hurt, your performance in a game by itself will be MUCH higher. Now if you turn HT on, you have two "virtual" 1.5GHz CPUs, and your game will only get one of them. Now you can see why gamers aren't thrilled about HT very much, as very few programs are able to "see" HT and take advantage of it. (As in using both virtual processors to speed performance)
          i dont think its THAT bad, because a 1.5ghz P4 would suck arse...
          From Adam Webb

Comment

The point is that if the software isn't coded to understand HT, or SMP (symetric multi processing), it "can" default to only one side of the HT process. I found this to be true with LOMAC (Lock On - Modern Air Combat) and Adobe Premiere 5.1.

Comment

yeah but the HT process is still the core speed, and if the other "cpu" isnt being used i doubt it will be much different. Not that ive ever seen or even used a P4 system (P4 1.3 dont count :P) so i dont know, but thats the first ive ever heard of it.
              From Adam Webb

Comment

How about an AMD guide now :o

Comment

Re: Setup and OC guide for ASUS P4P800/P4C800

is this guy for real .... please tell me this is a joke !!!

Comment

Originally posted by retsam
                    Look at the date...
                    Become a supporting member!
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!
                    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by retsam
                      what do you mean joke?
                      From Adam Webb

Comment

retsam = master backward... alias for someone?
                        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X