QWest just got a whole lot slower for me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QWest just got a whole lot slower for me

Here are my results from DSLreports.com, using a server about 450 miles away in SF to see what my latency from here in Corvallis, Oregon is. I have a 1Mb DSL line over my phone line.

I have a MS wireless card on my desktop, and a 2Wire wireless gateway/router on a home network. My ping has always been about 120 to the TG servers...except last week, it jumped to 150-180 in game--more than most of our European friends have. I'm pretty sure my firewall isn't messing with it, nor antivirus.

There has to be a way to get at least equal ping to people across the Atlantic, I would think...my town is on a small spur off a 2nd or 3rd-tier network line though, and I read that QWest is a copper line...old school. But I still haven't figured out if there is latency on my end that I can improve myself.

Any suggestions on how to find out what settings on my computer/wireless card/router/gateway I can tweak to improve my situation?
    Last edited by Axis of Eeevil; 05-27-2009, 04:48 PM.
    sigpic

Living proof that "Teamplay ensmartens the idiotest of us!"

"

| | | | |

Re: QWest just got a whole lot slower for me

Axis,

A large part of our problem is the amount of "hops" we make to get to the server. CounterOps and I have the same problem as you. I have a faster connection, but I average 105-125 to VA. I ran the tracert/pingpath to check my path to the POE server and saw that I make 13 hops to get there degrading the connection all the way. I also used pingplotter once to see where the connection gets really slow.

If you are using XP you can use the Tweak Test and Doctor TCP tool (dslreports.com) to change or optimize you RWIN settings and possibly improve your speed. I have Vista now so it is not the same. When I had XP I was able to change those settings through that tool and uncork more speed, however you run the risk of increasing packet loss/retransmission so more is not always better. I played with the settings a few times and found a good risk/reward zone. At the very least it is a good tool of judging if you are in the optimized window of a setting based on your current configuration. When I used to live in Beaverton I was getting 75-80, but speeds change for many different reasons.

You can also try port forwarding for BF2. I will send you info that Zippy gave me. It did not make much of a difference in my case, but did for him.

Comment

What do you get testing with the closest server? Are you getting the usual down/up speeds or is that slower as well?

If it is slower, then the issue might also be that Qwest might have changed something on their end and for one reason or another your profile's down speed (and maybe even up speed) reverted to a previous settings. Meaning, they undercapped your line.

I know that happens a lot with my connection through AT&T. Whenever they change something on their end or install new wires around here, my downspeed gets undercapped or I lose the connection entirely. I end up spending hours on the phone trying to get it back to normal.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Down/Up speeds ARE slower...normal sites I go to all the time are taking 1-3 extras SECONDS to load...very noticeable, very sucky, very not cool. I was hoping to avoid calling QWest, but that may be a good idea. Thanks, guys.
        sigpic

Living proof that "Teamplay ensmartens the idiotest of us!"

"

| | | | |

Comment

Good luck. Remember, if you can't resolve it through Qwest's tech support/customer service, then try posting in @ www.dslreports.com (probably the direct forum for Qwest) so a Qwest line tech can see if they can get you back to normal. Be sure to read the rules first though.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X