Lynnfield CPUs and P55 chipset launch September 1st

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lynnfield CPUs and P55 chipset launch September 1st

Pretty interesting stuff, since lots of p55 motherboards were shown at CeBit in March. Word is there is so much p45 stuff in the channel and they want to sell more of it first.

Lynnfield CPUs and P55 chipset launch September 1st

Also important:
    At the same time, the now one-year old P45 chipset is set to be end of life once the P55 replacement arrives in early September. However, Intel socket LGA 775 motherboards will continue to be manufactured well into 2010 on either then G41 or P43 chipsets.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Lynnfield CPUs and P55 chipset launch September 1st

Lynnfield looks pretty stellar, here is a great preview article about the upcoming processor.
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Damn and as soon as I wanted to start building a new PC this summer, there is something even better on the horizon...sigh.

Comment

I had already picked up a case and heatsink and just put them away to see where the new tech was leading us. At this point, I'll probably skip the I7 and see what develops.
        Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

I was still on the edge regarding what to pick, Phenom II X4 or the Core i7. But after discovering this article:

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...920-940-cpus/1

I got pushed over the Phenom edge. Intel is just making it too confusing for potential customers with the LGA 775, 1156 and 1366 sockets, me being one of them.

Comment

Then let me explain.
            775= what has been out for a long time now (many years) and is stopping production
            1156= sometimes called i5, is the mainstream version of the line
            1366= called i7, is the top of the line performance version, for hard core gamers and art/media people, etc.

As for Phenom, I still can't keep up with all their random numbers, and they have different CPUs that are supposed to work on different motherboard sockets, but half the time there is conflicts, and stuff clashes. And on top of that, the top end AMD stuff is going to be equal to pretty much the mid-upper range i5 line. They don't have anything that can touch the i7 stuff.

And thank you for that link FL1P. It makes total sense. The i7-920 is the lowest end i7 cpu (though still extremely fast). By Sept. it will be out close to a year, so of course it will be time to retire, and the fact that the i5 stuff is going to perform as well as the 920 just tells you how good it's going to be.

But guys, remember we have this awesome forum here to help each other. If you do have questions, and stuff is confusing, ask! We have such a broad base of guys here someone will have a decent idea of an answer or where to look. Don't buy something just because it seems less confusing. Find out what is truly better so your money is well spent and your FPS on the new rig is so high everyone else here will be drooling :D :D

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Yeah, its just that the more detailed look at these "i5s" left me even more confused on what CPU I need for long-term gaming (thinking 3 years at least without upgrading the CPU), and the fact that the 920 is getting phased out already just made the decision harder. I really don't want to wait until September (been waiting since the beginning of second semester to build a new pc and now this :P )

Comment

Fl1p, wait, trust me. I built a s939 system about two weeks before the Core 2 Duo stuff started coming out. I bought it all simply because I had it all chosen already and wanted to build it ASAP without doing more research.

I'm still in love with my computer, but would have loved a stronger CPU.

I'm actually stuck at home sick tonight, and its given me a good chance to start more into my overclock (that I have been putting off for a lonnnnnnnnnggggg time).

The wait will kill you, but the aggravation a year later that you didn't wait will upset you even more. On the other side of it, the longer you wait, the cheaper the parts you've picked out already will be! That's what really drove me to build my s939 system.

Comment

So, the question is, do I go for the i7-920 now or wait for an i5 that will perform similarly, but will it be cheaper? And are the i7s going away entirely or just moving up the pricing ladder with the i7-950, which will likely be priced in line with the current i7-940?

And if I go i7 now, will socket 1366 be a good position for future upgrades? Or will it not be because it is going to be focused on the high-end and all of the CPUs will be priced at +$500?
                  |TG|Melee
                  Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

If you bought a i7-920 rig now, you would be very happy for many years to come, at least 3 years (depending on how much self control you have when new tech comes out :D)

Plus, there will be upgrade options for the i7, including 6 core cpus that should be out in 2010, and probably 8 core later. Yes, they might be a bit more expensive than the i5, but you get what you pay for. If you want to have the fastest, it does cost money.

That being said, if it does turn out that the 920 gets cut and the cheapest i7 cpu starts in the $500 range, I might go ahead and upgrade myself even though I don't need to just because it will be a chance to get in on the high end at a lower price, and then will be able to upgrade to one of the mind blowing cpus later since I already have the motherboard. I just helped |TG-X| Caffeine build a new i7-920 computer last week and it came out to about $1200-1300. I can't wait to see how well it runs ARMA2 next month.

But one of the main reasons the i5 is going to be cheaper is the cheaper motherboards. Right now the cheapest i7 boards that I would choose are like $230-$260. Compare that to a 775 board that I would recommend for a build that would run $125 or so. Think of the i5 replacing the 775, so we should see boards in that same price range. The reason for this is the i7 boards are much more complicated to make since they have triple channel RAM and have to pay licensing fees for Nvidia's SLI (among other things of course). The i5 from what I have read will only be dual channel RAM, and I'm not sure yet if it will be able to do both Crossfire and SLI like the i7 (x58) boards can do.

Here is what I suggest. Next week is the big summer tech show Computex. Pretty much everything we know about i5 is based on rumors, so the show should clear some stuff up. I am really hoping some secrets leak out about the next gen gfx. cards. Reason is because all this talk we are doing about CPUs, while the truth is pretty much all of them would be fine, while the bottle neck is the gpu.

It kind of sucks now that I have a job because I won't be able to do instant posts here in the forum when something cool get announced. Will just have to do a big one every afternoon :D

Edit: I typed the above and then started looking through my tech sites news feed and saw some new articles on Anandtech:
                    The Lynnfield Preview: Rumblings of Revenge
                    If you are thinking of building a new rig, you need to read that article. Anandtech comes through for us again!

With a 2.66GHz Lynnfield and a $100 P55 motherboard you now have the ability to deliver a good quad-core system at around $150 - $200 cheaper than the cheapest Core i7. Price-wise the 2.66GHz Lynnfield would be priced cheaper than today's Core 2 Quad Q9400, and as you'll see Lynnfield is clearly a faster bet.

The 2.80GHz Lynnfield should also be able to outperform the i7-920 without a problem, at a lower total system cost as well.
                    Make sure you read the part about the turbo mode. Pretty exciting stuff, considering we are months away from final finished chip.

also:

Why would anyone want a LGA-1366 system then? I believe there are three major advantages to the LGA-1366 platform for single-socket desktops:

1) Support for Gulftown. You can only get 6-cores from the LGA-1366 platform in 1H 2010, Intel currently doesn't have any 6-core LGA-1156 parts planned.

2) More overclockable CPUs. The best yielding Nehalems (and highest clocked Nehalems) will be LGA-1366 processors. I wouldn't expect any 1GHz+ overclocks from LGA-1156 CPUs.

3) More bandwidth to PCIe slots. I don't see this as a huge advantage today, but there may come a time when having as much bandwidth to your GPUs as possible is important. I'm thinking general purpose GPU computing, DX11, OpenCL sort of stuff. But we're not there yet.

Ultimately I'm going to stick with what I first said on the whole LGA-1156 vs. LGA-1366 topic last November:

"The breakdown seems pretty simple: if you’re the type of person who bought the Q6600/Q9300, then Lynnfield may be the Nehalem for you. If you spent a bit more on your CPU or are more of an enthusiast overclocker, the current Core i7 seems like the path Intel wants you to take."

Also I just saw they started a new beta "bench", where you can compare tons of CPUs in all kinds of benchmarks, including some games.
                    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?b=2

Play with that for a min. and see where you current CPU stands.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Hmm based on gaming the Phenom II still matches the i7 pretty well. I would much rather save the extra money for a graphics card better than a gtx 260 core 216 :)

Comment

Very helpful as usual, Bamboo. Thanks

The reason for this is the i7 boards are much more complicated to make since they have triple channel RAM and have to pay licensing fees for Nvidia's SLI (among other things of course). The i5 from what I have read will only be dual channel RAM, and I'm not sure yet if it will be able to do both Crossfire and SLI like the i7 (x58) boards can do.
                        So DDR3 isn't the direction for all future mobos/CPUs? Wouldn't it be preferred for it's improved throughput?

It kind of sucks now that I have a job because I won't be able to do instant posts here in the forum when something cool get announced.
                        Yeah, but it allows you to buy more toys! Until you have kids...

Edit: I typed the above and then started looking through my tech sites news feed and saw some new articles on Anandtech:
                        YOU are my tech news feed! :row1_2:

Also I just saw they started a new beta "bench", where you can compare tons of CPUs in all kinds of benchmarks, including some games.
                        http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?b=2

Play with that for a min. and see where you current CPU stands.
                        My four year old Athlon X2 3800+ is clearly lagging.

Thanks again!
                        |TG|Melee
                        Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

Originally posted by Melee View Post
                          So DDR3 isn't the direction for all future mobos/CPUs? Wouldn't it be preferred for it's improved throughput?

I think you are getting DDR3 and tri-channel mixed up.
                          Just like DDR2 is not anything with dual channel, DDR3 and tri-channel are not really related. A dual channel setup board will have multiples of 2 for the # of memory slots, so you either have 2, 4, or I have seen a 6. But the slots are matched so that you run matching sticks of ram of 2 each.

Tri-channel is the same except you have sets of 3 sticks, with multiples of 3 on the motherboard, so either 3 or 6 slots. My understanding you can run with say just 2 sticks of ram in a motherboard that supports tri-channel, but it will just drop back down to dual and not be running at it's full potential. What I have noticed with a bunch of the store bought i7 systems like from Gateway advertise with rigs that have 4 gigs, so you end up with dual channel. TG-X Pancho is just bought one, and while 4 gigs is enough, he wants to go with 6 for tri-channel.

I will throw in a disclaimer that as of right now, tri-channel doesn't show that much of an improvement over dual, but it is something very new, and it will take some time for software writers to start taking advantage of it. But when I buy something, I want future proofing as much as possible. Besides, you can get a really good 3 stick tri channel set for like $89. The Corsair Dominator 1600 kit is like $160. So yes, it is more than DDR2, but it isn't crazy priced like DDR3 used to be.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Very informative, thanks Bamboo.

One quick question, as a person who is stuck with an AGP slot, is there any new slot planned besides the current PCI-E on the near horizon? I don't want to get stuck again.

Comment

Nope. I think PCI-E 2.0 will be here for a good while longer. Plus it is backwards compatible with 1.0.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X