Another Video Card thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Video Card thread

So with the benches out for ArmA 2, my 9800 GTX is apparently extremely lacking. I'm thinking it might be time for upgrade, either now, or sometime in the next month or so.

Now I'm really partial to eVGA. Been using their cards exclusively for years. However looking at one of their top cards it's pretty damn pricey.

So I took a look at the top rated card for ArmA 2: The ATi 4890

Not only is that less expensive, but it's also got a ridiculous clock speed. This has got me seriously on the fence. I've been using nVidia cards for years with no problems, but upgrading to the better nVidia offering will be significantly more expensive and from what I read give less performance than the ATi card.

Anyone have any inputs? Is the 4890 really the better option?

Man think of the WU's I could crank out with either one of these bad boys!

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Re: Another Video Card thread

In most of the gaming benchmarks I came across, the GTX 275 beat the 4890. And it is similarly priced. Although this seems apparently not the case with ArmA 2. So may as well go for that :)

Comment

According to THIS link you're right.

This 275 GTX looks pretty good.

The more I look into this, the more apt I am to buy one today. I've got to give it a rest.

Comment

From what I understand, the GTX 275 beats the 4890 at high resolutions while the gap is pretty small at 1680x1050 and lower. If I were buying it (considering the fact that I have a 22" monitor that runs at 1680x1050), I would probably save a few bucks and buy this card: (keep in mind that I am cheap.) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161276

(Tom's is a terrible source by the way.)
        sigpic

Comment

I just do not see how any of the nVidia cards can perform better that the 4890. It's got faster clock speed, more memory at a higher speed and more stream processors. Yet all of the benches I look at say it's just a "meh" card. I just don't get it.

I'm thinking of holding off to see if nVidia debuts something at E3 or that other expo around this time who's name escapes me.

Comment

The 4890 is in NO way a meh card. Anything from the 4850 and up, and the 260 and up on the Nvidia card is not a meh card.

nVidia won't show anything at e3, but they might at ComputeX show that starts this week. I will be posting a big thread about it with some links as soon as I get home from work.

I really doubt they will say anything, or ATI, but both are expected to release their next gen cards in Aug-Oct timeframe. And early reports say they are both going to blow this gen stuff away. I am suggesting to everyone that has a decent card now to just play ARMA2 with what they have and upgrade at the end of summer. If you have something older than the 8800 series, then might go ahead and upgrade now. You might even consider waiting till the end of June, buying an eVga card, and then crossing your fingers you can do the upgrade path they offer in 3 months if the new cards are out.

But in the end, you are going to be extremely happy with either the 275 or 4890, so go with a good namebrand card that has a good rebate/price.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

In that case, maybe if I see an eVGA card on sale I'll pick it up, but otherwise I will wait for this mind blowing tech to come out.

Comment

i have a 4850 and its more than a 'meh' card. i know pr isnt the most taxing of games on a gpu but it has rocketed my frame rate from a steady 30-40 on high to a wopping 300+ it also plays crysis on high at a constant 30fps too. so imo its a good card to get.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X