Firefox Portable

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox Portable

Alright so I was at school today, and of course all of our school computers have this 'Webwasher" crap on them so you can't go to certain sites (Tacticalgamer.com was even blocked out by it...), well I was looking at random software being bored as ever and I stumbled upon Firefox portable. Being absolutely new to this application, I had a question about it:

If I install Firefox Portable onto a flashdrive and bring it to a school computer which has certain "Webwasher" or whatever they are called programs on them, will launching Firefox Portable allow me to surf the web normally, or is that Webwasher protection stuff still going to block it being that it's on its network?

In other words, can I use this portable version to bypass my school's Webwasher software?

I probably will still be using this Firefox Portable anyway being that I like Firefox WAY more than IE anyhow.
    "...and they call me ready to deploy, engage and destroy, wherever you need me to be. I'm an American Warrior!"

Re: Firefox Portable

It depends on your user account's permissions. If they allow running executables on removable media, then yes you can run Portable FF off of a UFD. If not, then you're out of luck.

If you do plan on using UFD, make sure it at least meets the "Vista ReadyBoost" certification or has fast write and read speeds. Otherwise, PFF will lock up on you or just fail to launch as various settings and caching (at least some of it) is done using the UFD.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I use Firefox Portable on my flashdrive and use it at school also. I use it because I love the fact that I have my bookmarks synced by Xmarks and I have all the add-ons I could possibly want. Makes all the techie friends jealous as they are forced to use IE 7.

Anyways, I'll admit I'm not too sure if it bypasses that sort of thing, my guess would be yes. I know that at least at my school, Lifehacker is blocked due to "hacker" and I access it fine with Firefox portable.

I use a Patriot Xporter XT Boost 4GB Flash Drive (USB2.0 Portable) Model PEF4GUSB to run Firefox off of as well as hold my documents. It's fast, roomy for what I use it for, and cheap!

Comment

WebWasher is a Mcafee product. Mcafee aquired the product through the purchase of Secure Computing.

WebWasher can be configured as a proxy (default port 9090) or as a transparent forwarding proxy. If it's configured as a normal proxy you should be able to see those settings on the computers. The policy is normally controlled via Windows GPO or through DHCP settings.

If you use Firefox Portable you may be able to circumvent the proxy PROVIDED that port 80 is open on your network. In most cases when a proxy is forced firewall rules are applied that restrict port 80 and 443 traffic from all source IP's other than the proxy itself.

Depending on the implementation of WebWasher, it may allow unrestricted access by group membership in Windows.

Bypassing WebWasher is tricky if it is implemented properly, but certainly doable. You could try using TOR with FF Portable (I think you can get it all from PortableApps.com) to see if that works for you.

If it's still showing up as WebWasher that means they have not done any of the recent updates. If it suddenly starts showing up as "Mcafee Web Gateway" don't get too excited, that's just its new name.

I implemented this product at work, hence the in-depth knowledge of how it works. Unfortunately I chose it BECAUSE it was solid and could be very well protected, so you are likely fighting an uphill battle here.
        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

The best way to get around the "company network" is to not use the company network. Get a cell phone or other web client and use a wireless service to get to the Internet.
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Speaking of getting around the company network, check out the broadband package DrBeat reports in this post:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/hardwar...ml#post1284401
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

nice.. i would try firefox portable too...
              If you show your head then your dead....

Comment

Alright thanks for the help everyone, it seems from what I'm reading I just have to install it on my Flashdrive and hope for the best that it bypasses, because I really don't understand much of what you wrote there Apophis but believe me I really did try to figure out what that meant heh.

I'm not entirely sure that my flashdrive does support the Vista Ready Boost software, I have a Sony 4GB flashdrive, maybe a year old from when I bought it at the store, so im not sure if it has the fast read speeds on it or not, im hoping yes but im a pessimist so of course im thinking "Its not gonna work" in my head lol.

Again thanks for all the advice Ill will be copying this text to my cellphone so I can bring this up again if I see anything I could use in this thread. Thanks and i hope for the best!
                "...and they call me ready to deploy, engage and destroy, wherever you need me to be. I'm an American Warrior!"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X