Thinking Netbook

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking Netbook

Hello everyone! DrBeat has a birthday coming up and has been thinking about grabbing a netbook. I don't presently own a laptop and thought it would be a nice way to surf the net and stay connected. I obviously don't plan on doing any heavy computing with it, and I'd like it to last two or three years until the need for me to get an actual laptop arises.

If you have a netbook, what are the pros and cons about owning it? Any issues I should know about? What OS do you use? I've been thinking about installing Ubuntu Netbook Remix when I get it, but I know most of them come preloaded with XP, will it be hard to get it setup? Finally, which netbook would you recommend? I've been looking at these.

For internet, I've been thinking Wi-fi, but what about mobile broadband from Verison? Out of that how far would 250 MB take me for surfing and downloading Ubuntu etc.?

Thanks!

Re: Thinking Netbook

I do not own one but from what I've heard, it's a low power (both consumption and ability) system, so you won't get far with games, but it's great if you need eight hours of surfing, note-taking, and all that stuff that laptops were supposed to be for before everyone got suckered into buying laptops as desktops that cannot be repaired or upgraded without great toil and expense.

Apparently the big decision is for storage. HDD has more volume but takes more power and makes physical jarring of the system a concern. Solid-state (flash) is sluggish for writing, but reads fine and will survive any physical damage that won't kill your screen first.

Comment

i think its only good for web browsing..
      If you show your head then your dead....

Comment

They are great. I have the origin al EEE PC 701 (Celeron based) while my brother has an Acer Aspire One (Atom based) and his is much, much better. I've installed Ubuntu 9.04 Netbook Remix on both of them and it works really well. They are really good for internet browsing, very light gaming and productivity on the go. I find that the 7" screen on mine is a bit small but that the 9" screen on my brother's works really well. I imagine one of the new 10.2" models would be even better.
        sigpic

Comment

I like my Aspire One AOA-150. It works well, although the fan does seem a bit noisy. Plenty fast for browsing the web, doing some basic note taking, and whatnot. It even runs the Windows 7 RC perfectly fine! Only driver I had to locate was the wireless driver, but that was a given.
          If anything, I would have liked a larger track pad, and buttons under the track pad, not to the left and right.
          It's Gaming
          Proud to have been a member of the 55th Infantry Division!

Comment

They're all great netbooks and UNR will run just fine on all of them.

I own the older 8.9" AA1 (AOA150-1049) and a ASUS 1000HE (black). I had UNR 9.04 running on the AA1 but I liked the original desktop interface more and have since switched back to Desktop 9.04. Runs fine with no problems, other than the WiFi LED indicator light doesn't work (WiFi works fine). Boot up time is under 15 seconds and suspend time is 8 seconds or less (same with resume).

I use both of them primarily for web coding/markup, programming, light Photoshop/Flash work, watching videos (mostly 380/480p and some 720 HDs), and general web surfing. Both netbooks handle those tasks just fine though the 1000HE has a impressive 6-6.5 hours of battery life with WiFi on.

Occasionally I'll do some light gaming with Starcraft, Red Alert 2, Diablo 2, and some Warcraft III.

Out of the five listed on Lifehacker's website, I would suggest the 1000HE solely because it has the best battery life out of the five netbooks (out-of-the-box). With WiFi on, the other netbooks have anywhere from 4-5 hours of battery life.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

My wife has an ASUS 904HA and loves it. She uses it for taking notes and surfing. Had I bought it for myself I'd gotten the 10" screen.

Comment

I have the same oler AA1 netbook that Acreo has, and i's proven to be a capable little workhorse even when I've had to temporarily move my whole entire workday onto it with Outlook remote desktop, running a monitor off it for dual display, etc.

In retrospect I would have chosen a different netbook. The Acer works well, and it survived a drop with very little damage, but even before that the fan just constantly goes goes goes and it's noisy and irritating. Plus the power supply gave out about 2 months ago and I"ve had it for about 8 months now, roughly.

Id' go with one of the 10" ones and keep away from the odd 8.9"-ish sized ones. Just to slightly upsize everything.
                "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

I don't plan on doing any kind of gaming as I have a desktop I built. I'm in high school and am looking for portable internet and a platform~o do school work on the go.

Does anyone here have advice on mobile broadband? My dad has a sprint plan that he never uses and has the usb adapter. Will this work with my netbook?

Comment

dell mini9 x2
                    Sony ux380n

the mini is in my opinion the best netbook out. it can run hackintosh perfectly with all hardware functional (and does it better than the macbook air) there are no moving parts other than the LCD hinge and the keys, so it is VERY hard to break, the keyboard is very decent, and you can get a really well endowed one for 250 in the outlet store.

the ux is more than a netbook. it is a umpc. If you have really good eyes, and need some more power and functionality, the ux is the way to go. There are ppl who are installing a c2d and 2gigs of ram in it, and it has a standard 1.8" drive which means 120gig is possible.
                    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

As an owner of a 1000E, Damonte can attest to the longevity of the battery! It's by far the feature that swung the decision in it's favor over the competitors.

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

Originally posted by DrBeat View Post
                        Does anyone here have advice on mobile broadband? My dad has a sprint plan that he never uses and has the usb adapter. Will this work with my netbook?
                        It'll work fine with a netbook. Same with a desktop and most other laptops out there.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Do those mobile broadband thingies have Linux drivers and clients? I'd imagine that you would be tied to Windows or OS-X if you wanted to use one but I don't know for sure.
                          sigpic

Comment

He could try running it under WINE if it is only for Windows. Otherwise, the only carrier I've heard about in some Linux forums is Sprint, but it seems to have mixed reviews. Dual boot is always a possibility.
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by DrBeat View Post
                              I don't plan on doing any kind of gaming as I have a desktop I built. I'm in high school and am looking for portable internet and a platform~o do school work on the go.

I've tethered to my Sprint Blackberry without a problem, with the usual smartphone dialup-networking setup, and now my G1 with PDAnet, without a problem.
                              "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                              Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X