Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad CPU Temps

Thank goodness for smsrtphones!
    Anyway, lasto night I got a computer shutdown due to high cpu temps. I checked the mounting of the stock cooler then restated. Still temps in the 90s. This is odd as my typical temps were on the 40s. I've been looking to instal the Zalman 9900 cooler I bought but I'd like to fix this issue with the stock cooler.

Thanks!

Re: Bad CPU Temps

Pull the heatsink off and wipe all the thermal grease clean and reapply then put it back on securely. If that doesn't do it then the heatsink fan may not be working or the CPU is burning out.

- -

Comment

Usually a dust issue, but yeah, if remounting the HSF doesn't solve the problem then you have a bigger problem. The CPU burning out is extremely unlikely, but it's entirely possible that the temp sensor on the Motherboard is. With temps in the 90's the Heatsink should be getting hot to the touch fairly quickly, so it's pretty easy to double check.

Blow out the dust, re-seat the HS and see what happens from there.

Edit: When you remove thermal grease, rubbing alcohol and coffee filters. If you don't have any grease to replace it with, leave the existing stuff on and just re-seat it.
      a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
      Celibacy is not Hereditary.
      Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
      Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
      Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Ok I'm running to micro center to buy more grease. I'll probably just mount the new heat sink I but I'd like to get this sorted out.

It only overheats when upright. Could it still be incorrectly mounted? I added more grease and it is running at normal temps, but only when on its side.
        Last edited by DrBeat; 06-04-2009, 02:53 PM.

Comment

MOAR GREASE! does not mean better, too much will make it hold heat rather than transmit it. A perfect thermal paste job would be one molecule at the thinnest part.

Break it down and dust everything out. Ensure a clean paste job, not a big glob. I suggest a small drop in the center of the chip/spreader (AMD/Intel). Some people like to smooth it out, that can be cleaner but you must rake it evenly, because you risk sealing an air bubble that way. A properly-sized drop will give a perfect fill, though improperly-sized risks overflowing (bad if it is conductive and touches a contact) or being insufficient (bad on AMD's naked chip cases, Intel already mounted a head spreader so that's not a problem).

Next, check all your fans, and ensure you have proper air flow. Generally, you should have a big intake in the front, a big output in the rear (big = 120mm fan), and optimally an intake in the side to help out your video and northbridge.

Case orientation shouldn't matter, if nothing around the case is blocking off airflow. Like a fat kitty sleeping against the intake.

If you have vent holes, tape 'em off. They do more to damage air flow than to help; they're only good if you have only outward fans.

Comment

Originally posted by MagnaCentipede View Post
            Next, check all your fans, and ensure you have proper air flow. Generally, you should have a big intake in the front, a big output in the rear (big = 120mm fan), and optimally an intake in the side to help out your video and northbridge.

Case orientation shouldn't matter, if nothing around the case is blocking off airflow. Like a fat kitty sleeping against the intake.

If you have vent holes, tape 'em off. They do more to damage air flow than to help; they're only good if you have only outward fans.
            I've got an Antec 900 with the additional side fan blowing air over my graphics cards. No airflow blockage.

Comment

It's it's upright and overheating, it usually means either the fan isn't spinning (maybe a cable is blocking it) or the HSF isn't firmly secured.
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Funny, I was coming to the board to post about *my* overheating issues. My dual-core (E4400) is riding the 80-90 range.

Picked up some new thermal grease, but the computer tech at the shop I frequent had mentioned that he's almost never seen thermal grease degrade, as long as the HSF is seated properly. Grease needs air contact to dry out, and will generally outlast your CPU.

A sudden doubling in heat, though, sounds like a mechanical failure, either in the HSF or in the case fans. You're likely to have heard a case fan not running though, so I suggest checking for dust, and a straight visual inspection: Run the machine with the case cover off, and see if the HSF is spinning at all.

Can you get into the BIOS at all? The onboard sensors (I'm assuming you have them) should give you the fan readings.

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
                --BlackMirror
                <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
                Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
                --Blackraven93

Comment

I replaced the heatsink because I had just bought one. But then the computer refused to boot. Eh?

Well I've got a friend who works at a computer repair shop and agreed to take a look at it as I didn't have the tools to properly diagnose it.

Comment

Err... That's not a good sign, but the first thing I'd suggest is make sure the new fan is connected all the way to the fan controller. Most modern mobos won't boot if they don't detect a CPU fan.

(or you could exercise patience and let your friend deal with it. I'd just go crazy without my computer, and I don't have a smartphone :)

--BlackMirror
                    <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
                    --Blackraven93

Comment

Originally posted by Cheburash View Post
                      Err... That's not a good sign, but the first thing I'd suggest is make sure the new fan is connected all the way to the fan controller. Most modern mobos won't boot if they don't detect a CPU fan.

(or you could exercise patience and let your friend deal with it. I'd just go crazy without my computer, and I don't have a smartphone :)
                      Oh trust me I am. Luckily I have a smartphone and just got a netbook. I've got mobile broadband so I'm just wallowing in my despair by hanging out at forums and watching movies over and over again.

Comment

And now, my problem. The CPU is running way too hot, around 85C on each of the cores. I don't know how long it's been doing so because I've been lax in monitoring my temp for the last (long!) while. Bad Cheb.

It's possible that the issue is caused by the higher thermal output of the GeForce 9600 I just got to replace the 8600 that died a week ago. Either way, I need to deal with the excess heat, and would love suggestions on the most effective way to do so.

The case is a Sonata III, which makes a drive bay fan undesirable. The only case fan at the moment is the stock 120mm that comes with the case, set to maximum. CPU fan is also stock, retail Intel E4400.

I have no plans to overclock, nor the budget to go all out as far as heat dissipation.

--BlackMirror
                        --Blackraven93

Comment

Cheb, reapply some fresh thermal paste to your CPU and remount your heatsink. See if that helps.

As for 85 C, are you sure it's 85 Celsius and not 85 Fahrenheit? At 85 C your system should lock up every few minutes and reboot/shutdown as well.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Cheburash View Post
                            And now, my problem. The CPU is running way too hot, around 85C on each of the cores. I don't know how long it's been doing so because I've been lax in monitoring my temp for the last (long!) while. Bad Cheb.

It's possible that the issue is caused by the higher thermal output of the GeForce 9600 I just got to replace the 8600 that died a week ago. Either way, I need to deal with the excess heat, and would love suggestions on the most effective way to do so.

The case is a Sonata III, which makes a drive bay fan undesirable. The only case fan at the moment is the stock 120mm that comes with the case, set to maximum. CPU fan is also stock, retail Intel E4400.

I have no plans to overclock, nor the budget to go all out as far as heat dissipation.
                            Your CPU and GPU temperatures are separate from each other. If it is your CPU heating up fast, then you need to re-apply some thermal grease and/or get a better cooler. Or check for dust.

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                              Cheb, reapply some fresh thermal paste to your CPU and remount your heatsink. See if that helps.

As for 85 C, are you sure it's 85 Celsius and not 85 Fahrenheit? At 85 C your system should lock up every few minutes and reboot/shutdown as well.
                              95, actually. After 95 the readings glitch and go into the negative. I'm using Arthur Liberman's CoreTemp 0.99.4.65 release, and it's entirely possible the app is glitchy. I'm open to recommendations of something else.

It's definitely not Fahrenheit though -- I rebooted fresh and pulled up the BIOS hardware monitor data. CPU returned 72C and mobo 36C. After loading up, the newly-initialized CoreTemp showed 72C on both cores, which quickly spiked to 87+, where it continues to sit now. Why the machine isn't shutting down from overheating, I've no clue; I know this is way beyond recommended parameters.

I'll try the grease replacement tomorrow, we'll see what happens.

--BlackMirror
                              --Blackraven93

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X