Wireless Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless Question

All right, we got Apo's 1337 wireless skills here, so I will pose a question for you all.

I've got a Linksys WRT54G WAP and Router and another Linksys older B WAP and router. I've also got a WUSB11 and WUSB54G wireless USB NICs.

Now, when I'm connected using either NIC to either WAP, I have connection difficulties. This happens no matter how close I am to the WAP or how solid my connection is.

Running extended pings to the LAN interface of the router, I get a ms jump from the standard <5 to anywhere from 100ms to 300 ms. Then it goes back to normal. Not a big deal when I'm DLing free pron, but having ping spikes while gaming is annoying at best.

Now, at home I just got done running a CAT5e wire to my PC through the attic. After finding two dead and desicated mice in the attic and almost suffering from a clausterphobia attack: everything is punched down and running great. Although my ping is still high (stupid ISDN), the lag spikes are gone.

I've tried everything on these wireless products including talking with a tech from Linksys (who I could barely understand). My only determination is that since Linksys is owned by Cisco, it must be overpriced and a pain in the butt to configure.

My conclusion basically boils down to: buy Netgear from now on (as D-Link's constant reboots during config are mind-blowingly annoying).

Any ideas?

Re: Wireless Question

Simple stuff first...

What kind of signal strength are you getting from the WAP to the wireless NIC? I assume it's sufficient enough to hold a stable connection from wherever you are trying to play?
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

0_0...woah, wtheck?!

in MY case, a wireless is a wireless. i don't look at brands when it comes to buying wireless...if it works, it works. as long as i can log into www.tacticalgamer.com ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
        What kind of signal strength are you getting from the WAP to the wireless NIC? I assume it's sufficient enough to hold a stable connection from wherever you are trying to play?
        Excellent. 5 bars and it can hold a 54 Mb (or 11 Mb on B) connection with no problems. Now, one thing I did notice is that even when the NIC is right next to the WAP, my connection will degrade for a bit.

It's as if it's reconnecting to the wireless network for no reason. I tried disabling XPs Wireless Zero Configurator, but that didn't help much at all.

Oh, and this problem persists even if I disable encryption and MAC filtering. Also, I am running the latest firmware and drivers, and have even tried downgrading them to test for issues.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X