computer invasion!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• computer invasion!!!

maybe it's just me and my computer ignorance, or perhaps it's because my school's network is infected. but whenever i reformat my computer and start it off brand new, even if i don't go on internet explorer, my computer would automatically download irregular stuff from the internet thus i'd be getting a crapload of ads and other stupid stuff (unnecessary exe files)...

...how do i make it so that that won't happen?

i hypothesize that installing ad-ware and norton anti-virus would do the trick...but please give me any suggestion you might have. thank you.

Re: computer invasion!!!

Originally posted by Nightfire
    maybe it's just me and my computer ignorance, or perhaps it's because my school's network is infected. but whenever i reformat my computer and start it off brand new, even if i don't go on internet explorer, my computer would automatically download irregular stuff from the internet thus i'd be getting a crapload of ads and other stupid stuff (unnecessary exe files)...

...how do i make it so that that won't happen?

i hypothesize that installing ad-ware and norton anti-virus would do the trick...but please give me any suggestion you might have. thank you.
    I don't see how that could happen. If you reformat (not just reinstall Windows from the CD), then I don't see how anything can "automatically" download stuff off the internet...
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

put windows xp sp2 on a CD so that you can install it without connecting to the internet

disconnect your computer from the network, then format and reinstall xp

install sp2, and install an anti-virus program... then connect to the network

wouldnt hurt to have a firewall either.

My school had similar problems... they had to go as far as blocking anyones access who didnt have norton antivirus installed. The tech people went around to all the dorms and installed norton on all the computers... took a few weeks, but things are running smoothly now and no more viruses.
      Steam Community: | |

Comment

if blaster or sasser is still wandering around your campus..... it will cause a lot of headache without you having sp2. do like they said..... get sp2, get microsoft antispyware, get avg 7.0 free, install all of them before connecting to the internet.
        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
        The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG=
          if blaster or sasser is still wandering around your campus..... it will cause a lot of headache without you having sp2. do like they said..... get sp2, get microsoft antispyware, get avg 7.0 free, install all of them before connecting to the internet.
          yeah, but those wouldn't "automatically download irregular stuff from the internet thus i'd be getting a crapload of ads and other stupid stuff (unnecessary exe files)..." would they?
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
            yeah, but those wouldn't "automatically download irregular stuff from the internet thus i'd be getting a crapload of ads and other stupid stuff (unnecessary exe files)..." would they?

You would be surprised what can mysteriously show up on your computer through an unsecured network. A lot of viruses use ports that are open by default to make attacks on your computer... A fresh install of XP on a university network is just asking to get infected.
            Steam Community: | |

Comment

I work on a campus, and when we setup a new computer, we (1) install Windows XP, (2) plug it into the network, (3) install Windows updates and Anti-virus software.

Though it only takes about an hour to run all the updates and install the antivirus, we've had instances where a computer is compromised before the updates are completely installed.

Placing your computer on a college network significantly increases the chances of it receiving a virus or being hacked into.

In addition to keeping your Windows Updates and virus protection up-to-date, make sure you password protect any admin level user accounts on your computer with non-dictionary words. Preferably create a password that has numbers, letters, and special characters.
              It's a game. Keep it real. Keep it fun.

-Keith

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...