Windows 7 upgrade plans

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 upgrade plans

This was just posted on Engadget. It is a leaked BestBuy memo and the part I like is a special deal for a few days where they will offer a Win7 Home upgrade for $49.

Best Buy memo explains that Vista doesn't work, details Windows 7 upgrade plans

I hope it turns out to be true.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Windows 7 upgrade plans

I'll be amazed if that is true, I'd love to pick Win7 for $50 might even splurge and get Professional for the full $100
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Originally posted by Reaperassault View Post
      I'll be amazed if that is true, I'd love to pick Win7 for $50 might even splurge and get Professional for the full $100
      Ditto. I just hope my local BestBuy will be supported.

Comment

I just dl'd the RC x64 edition. I'm going to give it a whirl. I'm after maximizing my ram for gaming, as I do all productivity kind of things on my Ubuntu box.
        |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Originally posted by tHa_KhAn View Post
          I just dl'd the RC x64 edition. I'm going to give it a whirl. I'm after maximizing my ram for gaming, as I do all productivity kind of things on my Ubuntu box.
          I just now finished installing the 64 bit version to. It's my first time on a 64 bit as well. I like it so far. Forgot how long it takes to reinstall all your apps and games.

Comment

That's not bad, $50 for Home Prem. upgrade. Though, I'd probably get the OEM Win7 Home Prem. DVD rather than the upgrade so it'll be easier if I have to reinstall Windows.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
              That's not bad, $50 for Home Prem. upgrade. Though, I'd probably get the OEM Win7 Home Prem. DVD rather than the upgrade so it'll be easier if I have to reinstall Windows.
              That's what I was thinking about too.

Comment

The article mentions upgrades for Premium and Professional. What about Ultimate? What's that upgrade cost?
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I'd probably get the OEM Win7 Home Prem. DVD rather than the upgrade so it'll be easier if I have to reinstall Windows.
                  You mean "when", not "if", don't you? :row__631:
                  |TG|Melee
                  Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

Originally posted by Melee View Post
                    You mean "when", not "if", don't you? :row__631:
                    Hmm, I guess it's a "when". Sometimes I do reinstall Windows if I'm fed up with all the junk I've loaded onto the HDD. Sometimes I'm just uber lazy and really don't feel like the trouble of a reinstall and will put it off for eternity.

Does it matter if I use "if" vs. "when"?
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I've had the same install of vista since 2006, still running strong
                      Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

You could always use an imaging program and install Win7 and a few of your usual programs like firefox and then take an image.

When ever you decide you need a fresh start, format and drop the image back onto your main drive. Only takes a few mins, and you don't have to reinstall much except your games.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Does it matter if I use "if" vs. "when"?
                          Nah, just giving you a hard time because I've found I need a fresh install every year or two.
                          |TG|Melee
                          Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

Ok here is a silly question, I have XP installed now, when I get Win7 do I need the upgrade version or the complete version (64bit of course)? Also does anyone know if I would need RAID drivers on disk or will a thumb drive work, if doing the upgrade or full install of Win7?

Comment

Originally posted by Reaperassault View Post
                              I've had the same install of vista since 2006, still running strong
                              I haven't reinstalled yet, but it's only been about 11 months since I built this rig. I had thought I had one of Seagate 11 series bad HDDs, but that turned out to be false, so I don't see a complete reformat any time soon.

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                              You could always use an imaging program and install Win7 and a few of your usual programs like firefox and then take an image.

When ever you decide you need a fresh start, format and drop the image back onto your main drive. Only takes a few mins, and you don't have to reinstall much except your games.
                              Hmm, I'll have to find detailed instructions on how to do that. I haven't used a image to restore a HDD in years. Last I tried was with Norton Ghost and a 80 GiB IDE HDD on a old rig.

Originally posted by machineofdeath View Post
                              Ok here is a silly question, I have XP installed now, when I get Win7 do I need the upgrade version or the complete version (64bit of course)? Also does anyone know if I would need RAID drivers on disk or will a thumb drive work, if doing the upgrade or full install of Win7?
                              If you have a RAID setup, it's probably best to start anew with a fresh install of Windows 7. Upgrades can be very messy and time consuming if something goes wrong.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X