Slow SATA HD - fixable?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow SATA HD - fixable?

After installing 2142, I noticed how slowly the game was loading.. After digging in a little, it turns out that one of my HD's (my primary drive, hosting XP install and program files) is REEEEEEEALLY slow.

For context here's my system:

AMD 64 X2 5000+ BlackEdition
    BIOSTAR TA770
    4GB DDR2-800

HD1: 320GB SATA (Seagate - 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 3.0Gb/s)
    HD2: 640GB SATA (Western Digital - 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 3.0Gb/s)
    HD3: 200GB PATA (Western Digital - old IDE drive)

After running some speed tests, two drives 2 and 3 are fine:

-

but HD1... wtf, over.. my freakin internet connection is running faster!

Any ideas about what might be going on or how to remedy it? RMA in my future?

edit: I've run plenty of diagnostics on it, including SeaTools for Windows but didn't find anything goofy.

Re: Slow SATA HD - fixable?

How much free space on the slow drive? If it is near 100% and your swap file is on this drive, it can get bogged down.

Does it make any unusual noises when accessing data:clicking, starting up and shutting down repeatedly, etc.

Comment

With 4GB of ram I would turn off the page file. I know it is not reccommended, but I do it on all my machines with no ill effects at all. Then try it again. But as is, I would say you have an RMA in your future.

Comment

Shot in the dark, probably more of a general tip than anything, but a lot of SATA2 drives ship with the SATA1 default jumper plugged in. Which defaults it to SATA-150. Remove any jumpers on it and it will run full speed SATA-300.
        "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
        Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

thanks guys - I'll try both those and let you know. (I'm also going to swap SATA cables and mobo slots to see if one of those changes anything)

Comment

Check to make sure that there isn't any other programs writing/reading to/from the disk when you're performing the speed tests.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

It's fixed!

First, there WAS a jumper on there limiting it to 1.5gb/s.

Second, at the same time I took the jumper off, I swapped SATA cables with the other drive (just swapped them in the drive cage) and windows "found new device".

Not sure which did it, but either way, it's fixed! :D

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                It's fixed!

First, there WAS a jumper on there limiting it to 1.5gb/s.

Second, at the same time I took the jumper off, I swapped SATA cables with the other drive (just swapped them in the drive cage) and windows "found new device".

Not sure which did it, but either way, it's fixed! :D
                I had a hunch...
                "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams

Comment

Was probably the cable, not the jumper. No SATA HDD right now (besides maybe a SSD) uses even near the limit of the original SATA150 interface, much less the current SATA300.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                    Was probably the cable, not the jumper. No SATA HDD right now (besides maybe a SSD) uses even near the limit of the original SATA150 interface, much less the current SATA300.
                    well the cable going to the original slow drive is now going to the other SATA drive... and both are working... <shrug> :row__687:

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                      While that may or may not be true, Acreo, I've personally had this happen to me or a system I'm familiar with (best friend's computer) twice. Both times, not only did HDTach show a much higher burst speed and notably higher throughput, the system was also much more responsive as a result.

Comment

Hmm, that's weird. I have one drive like W6's, but I removed the jumper before installing it (a Hitachi on my bro's system). One would think leaving the jumper in and having the drive at SATA150 speeds wouldn't matter.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X