No announcement yet.

I seem to have lost a core off my CPU!!

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I seem to have lost a core off my CPU!!

So my computer has been acting up lately, random freezes and just plain poor performance. Been trying to figure it out for a few weeks.
    Today I notice in the CPU usage window I am missing a core off my AMD Athlon 64 FX2. I checked in the device manager, and it shows only one processor. I looked in CPUZ and I only have one core there as well. Can a core just up and fail like this?
    Is it possible that some sort of malware can disable my PC to this level? Total pain in the a$$, and pisses me off to no end.

I just want to punch a hacker right in the mouth and send him to a dentist.
    Meat Drapes
    Operation Infinite Justice... the worlds largest clan. Currently enjoying a membership of over 1,454,500+ . We game in every climb and place. If you want to play/become one of us... visit your nearest Armed Forces recruiting station. I bet we have games you have never even heard of. They will be glad to help you.

Re: I seem to have lost a core off my CPU!!

What if it's just your hardware that's failing and not any sort of malware that's causing your problems? Whenever I see 'random freezes' I always first think of memory error. Have you tried running Memtest to rule out your memory?

As far as your losing a core, I can't say that's happened to me or even heard of it. Maybe try reseating the cpu on your motherboard?

I suggest getting one of those bootable linux cds. Boot from it and see what happens. If everything is a-ok then start thinking about hackers and clean re-install.
      Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

I've never run into that myself, but I'd go through a thorough virus scan and spyware scan first before doing a reformat.

As for your processor, I assume you mean the Athlon 64 FX-62, since there is no FX2 Athlon 64.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

there are bios options to allow multi core or single core
          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
          The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed