Logitech MX518 Setpoint

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logitech MX518 Setpoint

I just underwent a major upgrade. From a MX510 to a MX518. I have never used mouse software. I always thought it was bloatware that was manufactured in hell with the soul purpose of slowing down my mouse and my comp. Before I throw this evil into the trash I thought I might ask to see if anything had changed. Does setpoint do anything that the mouse can't already do on it's own?

Re: Logitech MX518 Setpoint

I use a MX 518 for now almost 3 years and the software I only use to set my own dpi settings. I like mine to be generally 200 dpi from one another since I don't need to go super sensitive or super slow.

Comment

It's useful for DPI switching and button binds. Mainly that's what I've use it for on my mice and keyboards for the last 4 years.

I don't know when you the last time was you used Setpoint, but there have been some bugfixes in the last few years, but other than that, nothing really major has changed.

If you plan on using Setpoint, I suggest UberOptions as well (adds onto Setpoint) since it'll allow you to rebind some keys/buttons that Setpoint doesn't allow.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

What are the stock DPI settings? So far I have a whole new use for the rail gun. Are there any other niffty uses for the high DPI?

Comment

I use the settings a lot in FPS games such as Battlefield 2142. Very high settings for the Rorsche rail gun (since it turns so slow) and very low for TV missile shots to make them as accurate as possible and for precision shots with the tank.

Comment

Don't use software. It's bloat.

MX518 comes in two main varieties, the old hardware is 400/800/1600 dpi. The new hardware is 400/800/1800 dpi. Since the 510 is 800 dpi (afaik, I never investigated it), the MX518 as-it-boots should be the same dpi as 510 and thus you don't need to adjust sensitivities if you don't want to. I hear the 518 weighs less so it may seem more responsive on stock.

If you bump it to 1800:
            1) MX518 seems to jitter a bit for a few minutes after booting, like it needs to warm up. I've used three hardware revisions, they all do it. Usually mine has settled before I get into a game, but if I fire up CSS as quickly as I can, the first round or two will feel like a sugar rush.
            2) Adjust your sensitivity by multiplying by 0.5 (1600 dpi) or 0.444 (1800 dpi).
            3) You may consider using a USB overclock to increase your polling rate. MX518 can safely run at 500Hz (USB default is 125Hz). However, this is not useful at all unless you always see very high (120+) frame rates. If you usually drop to low frame rates (30-60) don't bother.
            4) A good mouse pad goes a long way. If your surface is difficult to read at 1800 dpi, you will jitter and skip.

Comment

Actually, I think you should use the software, along with uberoptions.
              I also upgraded from the 510 to the 518, and it is annoying as hell to have the little up and down button increase or decrease sensitivity. I change them right away so like with the 510 they scroll down and the up button closes the current tab when in firefox.

Then in game, I use the top button for binoculars, the down button for the map, and change all the other buttons as well. Software lets you make the changes quickly and easily, and so it recognizes what program is running and changes the buttons.

I actually switch this mouse around to different test systems a lot, and it throws me for a loop every time when I don't have all the cool stuff the buttons do on my main system.

Plus, I don't know what keyboard you are using, but if it is a Logitech you already have setpoint installed, or you should.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Setpoint is awesome, you can custom set the resolution to whatever you want. I had to get rid of uberoptions. Some of the games were not being recognized, so windows commands were being triggered in game.

Comment

Setpoint was pretty bad when I first used it, but it's improved and now is pretty good at remapping buttons from the stupid "Internet helper" functions to something useful in a game. ;)

Whatever you do, don't get a Bluetooth keyboard. I have that at work and it keeps losing up-strokes, so the autorepeat goes nuts and I can't figure out which key to hit to stop it. (Need to hit the same key that started it, so an up-stroke is seen. Or click somewhere with the mouse to break the OS-level auto-repeat function.)
                  Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Hmm, never knew that was a problem with BT keyboards. Is that the same problem with normal 2.4 GHz keyboards as well?

Ham,

Yeah, UberOptions isn't the best since it's a mod of Setpoint. I haven't reinstalled it since my G7 broke. I just don't really need to remap my left and right mouse buttons for some mundane key I rarely press.
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by MagnaCentipede View Post
                      Don't use software. It's bloat.

MX518 comes in two main varieties, the old hardware is 400/800/1600 dpi. The new hardware is 400/800/1800 dpi. Since the 510 is 800 dpi (afaik, I never investigated it), the MX518 as-it-boots should be the same dpi as 510 and thus you don't need to adjust sensitivities if you don't want to. I hear the 518 weighs less so it may seem more responsive on stock.

If you bump it to 1800:
                      1) MX518 seems to jitter a bit for a few minutes after booting, like it needs to warm up. I've used three hardware revisions, they all do it. Usually mine has settled before I get into a game, but if I fire up CSS as quickly as I can, the first round or two will feel like a sugar rush.
                      2) Adjust your sensitivity by multiplying by 0.5 (1600 dpi) or 0.444 (1800 dpi).
                      3) You may consider using a USB overclock to increase your polling rate. MX518 can safely run at 500Hz (USB default is 125Hz). However, this is not useful at all unless you always see very high (120+) frame rates. If you usually drop to low frame rates (30-60) don't bother.
                      4) A good mouse pad goes a long way. If your surface is difficult to read at 1800 dpi, you will jitter and skip.
                      Keep in mind that overclocking your mouse will often cause SetPoint to crash or not allow you to use it at all. I've been trying for a while to find an overclock that SetPoint accepts, but it seems like I can only have one or the other.

Comment

I use Set Point on my MX518. I have ALL my communications for Project Reality on the mouse.
                        Skud

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X