Hd question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hd question

My question is, can I run programs off a 2nd hard drive or does the hd need an OS inorder for it to run programs?

Re: Hd question

i use;

C: = System files/OS
    D: = Program Files

So....Yes you can and no it doesn't.

Comment

You usually DO need to have some space available on the system drive... windows registry and the like....

Comment

Originally posted by ><JohnGalt><
        My question is, can I run programs off a 2nd hard drive or does the hd need an OS inorder for it to run programs?
        You can have as many drives & partitions that you like and you only need the OS on one of them. With windows you'll probably need it on the C: drive.

I typically create at least the following:

c: operating system & applications
        d: media (mp3s, etc.)
        e: data (personal files, etc.)

With the different partitions or drives you can re-format the c: drive (partition) w/o losing all of your other files.

What will make a difference in your setup is if you have two different types of drives. Is one the drives faster than the other? Or a SATA drive?
        |TG-12th| asch
        sigpic

Comment

I have a 10k rpm 38gb sata drive running xp and a 18gb old drive for files and such, What i want to do is get a large 7200 rpm sata drive so i can put all my games on one drive and run the os on a sep drive. I am not interested in setting up a RAID yet. Should I run the os on the 10krpm? Actually I would have to since 38gb is not enough space for all my games.

Comment

You don't need the OS on the fastest drive. The OS doesn't actually write to disc that frequently. What you would want on the fastest drive is the apps that do write / read frequently. I have my games on the fastest drive. It really only helps with map loads. You could also put music & movies on the drive if you rip or burn CDs or watch movies from your HD.
            |TG-12th| asch
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the help. I dont really want to spend that much cash on another 10k rpm drive. Unless you all think I will suffer from poor performance, i am going to get a 200gb 7200 rpm sata drive to run my games off of and leave my os on the smaller faster drive.

Comment

Originally posted by asch
                You don't need the OS on the fastest drive. The OS doesn't actually write to disc that frequently.
                Well, the pagefile. But that is easily moved to another drive.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X