Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DarkWombat's Uber Computer To Be (DWUCTBe)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DarkWombat's Uber Computer To Be (DWUCTBe)

First of all, hello everybody! Love the server and the community and hope to be a part of it soon.

Now to the good stuff, I am planning out a new system to replace my two year old (GASP!) aging computer which I do love so much, yet must cast aside to embrace the wonders of new technology. The new system will be completely, if not mostly, purchaed on newegg.com and I have come here both to inform others considering a new system of the great stuff out there, and to receive any suggestions/comments about this proposed system.

What I want to build is a powerful, budget-minded PC that will last me at least 3 years (judging by current rates of technological improvement this seems a good estimate) without need of upgrades. It should be able to perform complex rendering, video editing, gaming (OF COURSE!) with some of the latest stuff out there, and just be an all-around monster within the steel shell of a fancy-shmancy case that looks elegant, yet can be "grotesque and pointy" to a certain degree, if you know what I mean. If you don't know, then ignore that statement and take those sick images someplace else.

So, without further ado, the proposed system!

Note: This is just what I'm aiming for at the moment, I'm open to all suggestions.

-The computer will be an AMD system built on a Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI motherboard. The current processor proposed is an Athlon 64 3200+

-It will utilize the almighty uber and new technology of SLI, which uses two graphics cards synced to create a single image at really really really fast rates at a pretty darn good price. The cards must be the same model and the motherboard must support SLI, not to mention you'll need a crazy-powerful Power Supply to give juice to these suckers. The proposed cards are Gigabyte Geforce 6600 GT's, which cost about $180 apiece, so two of them will cost $360, still under the price of a 6800 Ultra by over $100, and it'll get better framerates, especially at higher resolutions and detail settings.

-It will have 1 GB of system RAM, preferably as 2x 512MB modules. Currently deciding on Geil memory for $160 and Corsari XMS memory at $110, both are 2x 512MB DDR400.

-I will be using two Serial ATA drives in a RAID 0 configuration, I don't have oodles of data and I clear stuff out (read: I AM NO pr0n user!) so two 80gb SATA drives should do the trick, but I'm also considering 120GB drives

-As far as sound goes, I'm fine with the onboard sound offered by the motherboard, although I'm also eyeing a Creative Labs Audigy Gamer ZS (OEM) card for about $70

-Cases: this is the toughy. I'm preferring a case that doesn't come with a power supply so I can get my own (they usually don't come with more than a 400 watt PSU, and I'm looking for a 520 watt + one, but if it's a cheap case with a PSU then I'll just buy another power supply). Also, I really like windows to show off those expensive components and various other shiny things in the case.
    Current proposed cases are....

A-Top X-Blade case
    Kingwin Mutant X
    Aspire X-Navigator
    Antec Silver Aluminum Performance Series blah blah blah....

-I really want to get into watercooling, and judging by what components these will be, doesn't look like I have much choice. I'm aware of the Koolance Exos externally-mounted cooling system. I've read consistenly great reviews and I'm sure it's a fabulous system. However, for $180, it doesn't come with a waterblock (but the one it's designed for is this one) and it's on the bulky side, mounting on the top of the case. This also means that I'll ahve to get a case with a flat top and no extra ports on the top. A new contender is the Kingwin Arctic Coolor which fits in a 5.25" bay and has a self-contained pump and radiator, as well as a fancy control system, another radiator which takes the place of an 80mm case fan in the back, and a waterblock for the CPU and one for the GPU. It's only $100 too! At first I was skeptical, but there are some really nice reviews of this device, although it's not recommended for overclocking because of the size of the pump, which is fine. It comes with some antifreeze/water solution, but I'd want to feel comfortable with a dedicated cooling solution (that's also UV sensitive because I'm considering a blacklight for all this!).

-Power Supplies: There's two that I'm eyeing, both well-priced and well-rated. The first is the Aspire 520 watt and the ridiculously priced (seriously!) POWMAX 580 watt supplies.

That's all I have at the moment. I was also considering an Athlon 64 3500+ but I don't think it's worth the extra money.

I'm expecting to pay around $1400 for all of this, but we'll see if there's a better price or better setup that will cost a bit more or less (or a lot...). If you guys have any suggestions or other sites to look at, testimonials, or what have you, feel free to comment, or if you're thinking of building a system, go ahead and post here (I guess that means changing the title here too...). I'm not going to order all this stuff until July or so though, so things will probably change a lot as inflation skyrockets, the Canadian Dollar and the Peso dominate the market (!) and California breaks off of the U.S. mainland to hang out with Hawaii (Alaska can come to). The End!

(Psst!) When money starts flowing at the job I just got (also the source of all this shtuff) I hope to become a paying member of TG!

Re: DarkWombat's Uber Computer To Be (DWUCTBe)

For the case, I'd recommend anything that has rounded edges on the inside. I have an Antec case and it has rounded edges. I've cut myself before while putting a PC together but not with this case.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkWombat
      -Power Supplies: There's two that I'm eyeing, both well-priced and well-rated. The first is the Aspire 520 watt and the ridiculously priced (seriously!) POWMAX 580 watt supplies.
      Since you're building a nice computer, why put substandard parts in it? I would definitely buy a namebrand power supply to power that thing. For me, and many others, the power supply is the most likely cause of computer problems. You'd be better off with a 450w name-brand PSU than one of those POS "580" watt frauds...

Yeah, you could get lucky and a cheap PS could last you for years, but then again, it could also fry your motherboard two days after you put it all together... Not worth the risk, IMO.
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Very similar to the system I have just done and it is a major improvement from my old 32bit 2400+ system, games run with high settings and still pump out plenty of FPS and there is no longer any lag when closing and opening programs, partly due to the 1 GB of Corsair XMS DDR400

3dmark03 score is around 8500 on basic settings but with tweaking I am aiming for 10,000

Comment

Yeah, as far as the PSU goes I was skeptical about that POWMAX one. But the massive amount of votes and good reviews convinces me. I'll do some more research, but unfortunately Newegg doesn't have much of a stock in 500 watt and higher PSU's (and those that are are really expensive). I think $80-100 for a 550 watt PSU will be the most I want to pay, seems reasonable? I went to a couple sites that have wattage calculators to suggest what kind of PSU you should get to handle certain components, and I was around 500 watts. 550 watts seems safe.

Ok did some more browsing and came with this one: MGE XG Vortec 600W power supply, 120/80MM Fans and Fan Control, Model "PSVO-600" -RETAIL. It's $100 so that seems better, 600 watts and I'm going to look for reviews on other sites as well.

EDIT: Actually I looked at a couple sites and this looks to be like an untrustworthy supply. Can't find the specs of it and it seems they're marketing it more on looks. I'll go for a reputable brand like Antec or Enermax...

Comment

Ok here we go, an Antec 550 Watt PSU supply. I guess this is what I should be aiming for. Any suggestions on what to look for?

Also I thought about it and it'll make more sense to buy parts over time, get the case, PSU, and watercooling kit all at once, then the motherboard and CPU, then gfx cards, and finally hard drives and RAM (I'll be able to use computer with old memory and hard drives to get stuff sorted out before it's completely done). That'll be around $300 for every order, spaces things out.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkWombat
              Ok here we go, an Antec 550 Watt PSU supply. I guess this is what I should be aiming for. Any suggestions on what to look for?
              Much better choice, IMO. Antec makes some solid power supplies. You're probably not going to be able to tell the difference between a cheap ps and a good one from their description on any website. It's all about the quality of the componants used and the type of circuitry included. I'm talking about using good $.50 diodes instead of the $.07 ones... Including a crowbar circuit instead of just skipping it...
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Heh, things are changing once again! I've found an even better PSU from Thermaltake, a bit more expensive than the Antec but it's designed to support SLI setups, so I think this is something I'd need. It's a 680 Watt Thermaltake PSU which is selling for around $160. 680 watts seems like overkill, yes, but at the rate components are going these days, by the time I upgrade something next time I'll need the extra wattage, and Thermaltake's a company I trust.

And check out this beauty! Antec's P160 Case. This thing not only looks elegant, it has some really nice features: slide-out motherboard tray, rubber-dotted hard drive trays for reduced noise, matching optical drive covers, slide-out rails, locking side door, and a tilting piece on the top which holds the power button, reset switch, audio/firewire/usb ports, and a temperature monitor. Check out some reviews on this thing, it's incredible!

If you're looking for a new case, you should definately check this one out. It's for around $125 with side window on Newegg, you can find it for about $115 without the window on other sites. But this looks like the case I'm going for.

Things are getting more and more expensive, but I'm hoping it'll be worth it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X