iPhone 3GS Upgrade/Purchase

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPhone 3GS Upgrade/Purchase

Is anyone here going to upgrade and/or purchase the new iPhone 3GS?

I've had my eye on the 3.0 OS for a while now and am really excited about it. But after looking at the hardware additions to the 3GS I really would like to just go for the new hardware. Unfortunately; I only got my iPhone last August so there's no chance in hell I'm going to be able to do the 3G to 3GS upgrade at any sort of discounted price.

So what now? I fully understand that AT&T is subsidizing the cost of the iPhone in turn for signing a two year contract, but I would think there's SOMETHING they can do to appease their customer base. Personally, I'm not aware of any phone in the past that has had the following of the iPhone combined with such a strong desire to upgrade to the newer hardware as its made available.

Here's what I think:

I bought my iPhone 3G for $199. AT&T claims the un-subsidized price for the phone is $399. That's a $200 difference. Take that $200 and spread it across the 24 month contract period and that works out to about $8.34 per month. Similar to the way cell providers are required to give termination fee discounts of $5 per month for each month of a fulfilled contract, I think AT&T should give an $8.34 discount on an iPhone upgrade for each month of a fulfilled contract. I've had my iPhone for 10 months. That would give me an $83.40 credit towards the new phone so it would cost me $315 instead of $399.

What are you fellow iPhone owners planning to do? :row__522:
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Re: iPhone 3GS Upgrade/Purchase

Keep my iPhone 3g, and upgrade to their inevitable new platform in 1-2 years

Comment

Originally posted by llPANCHOll View Post
      Keep my iPhone 3g, and upgrade to their inevitable new platform in 1-2 years
      Truth be told, the only two real things I want is new hardware performance and the usable digital camera. The camera in my 3G is pathetic and I wouldn't complain if my iPhone was more responsive while hooked up to my car via data cable for music and Bluetooth for the in-car hands-free while I was sitting in a parking lot playing a little solitaire or browsing the web.

Comment

Don't forget battery life.

I'd pay to upgrade.

Comment

I plan to keep my iPhone 3G, in the UK the o2 network is doing the same, no early upgrade or discount. So, I will get OS 3.0, then re-jailbreak so I have the video camera and the 4megapixel quality camera. If you guys want I can record or picture something, the jailbreak is STILL better than the official hardwar/software, and both free and legal.....

However, I agree that the faster operations and the better battery would be a bonus, but I just respring (like a 15 second restart process) every day, keeps my iPhone flying as I never ever turn it off....

Comment

Sell your old. Even with the new Iphone coming out I'm pretty damn sure you can make a good bang of bucks selling your 3G on eBay...giving you a good amount to just walk in AT&T and use the money you made to pay a good amount on the retail price (w/o contract)

-- I always wanted TG to be different than anyone else out there. We need to be unique in what we offer and how we play, if not we are simply competing with everyone else. --
            The BigC

Comment

I actually watched the liveblog on both engadget and gizmodo while at work yesterday on my Iphone.

I would like to have the new S model, but it really just isn't a big enough improvement to justify the upgrade price. I just signed in Dec. to a new 2 year, so I figure when they do the remodel next year will be a perfect time to upgrade with the big discount.

I would like the longer battery, and the better camera, but oh well.

What is really exciting is the OS 3.0 upgrade. The bluetooth streaming of music to your car radio has had me looking on cruchfield.com a few times to pick out a new head unit. I listen to my music every day on the way to and from work, and would love to do it wireless. Some of the other stuff is really cool too, except the fact that AT&T isn't supporting it till later in the year, while 22 other carriers are from day one. What the hell is wrong with AT&T. Even Engadget and Gizmodo was trash talking them. They even want to charge tons more a month for tethering to a laptop.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Maybe this will help. Just found it:

5 Reasons You Shouldn’t Upgrade to the iPhone 3G S

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                  Maybe this will help. Just found it:

5 Reasons You Shouldn’t Upgrade to the iPhone 3G S

Not really.. MPC hates all things Apple.

You really can't hold Apple accountable for the lack of features that people were starting rumors about. And not upgrading because you can't get MMS or tethering at launch? That's like not buying a car because the custom hubcaps you want won't be in the shop for another month. Just silly.

I am NOT an Apple guy. But I have owned more smartphones over the years than any sane person should own. I have a brand new Blackberry from my last job and a Samsung i760 touchscreen sitting on my desk right now. I have never had a smartphone as good as the iPhone.

The new Blackberry or Palm Pre beating out the iPhone? Yeah. I'll believe it when I see it!

Comment

What is really exciting is the OS 3.0 upgrade. The bluetooth streaming of music to your car radio has had me looking on cruchfield.com a few times to pick out a new head unit. I listen to my music every day on the way to and from work, and would love to do it wireless.
                    This was a big seller for me too! I'm tired of having to plug in my phone to get the audio over. I'd rather just leave it on my belt and have it work automagically!

Comment

For folks wondering what Apo and I are talking about, check out this vid:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzvrZaQ9aQ4[/media]

FYI---I went into Bestbuy and looked at head units and talked to 3 different people at 2 local stores, and they had no clue about bluetooth and Iphone. I even tried searching for bluetooth signals and didn't see anything that looked like a car stereo. Looks like Crutchfield and other forums is going to be the best source of info.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

the "old" iphone's are going to be $99 new.. you won't get much for them on ebay.

Comment

For folks wondering what Apo and I are talking about, check out this vid:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzvrZaQ9aQ4[/media]

That looks kewl, but what is the sound quality?

Comment

Bluetooth 2.0 gives you 2.1Mbps. Plenty of bandwidth for high quality audio! I'll find out how it plays out once the 3.0 update comes out. Hopefully it will be good!

Comment

I stream from my Voyager to my 2010 Mazda 3, it is very nice sound quality! It is incredibly convenient, not having to carry around an mp3 player or CDs with you, just your phone. I actually read online that the 2010 had issues with blutetooth audio, so was kinda bummed, but didn't look into it much further at the time.

One day, I hit the Aux button on the stereo two times by accident and got distracted for a moment, and looked down at my phone, and noticed it was entering music mode, and I hadn't pressed anything. Next thing I knew, my music was coming over the car speakers, and sounded great!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X