Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft Updates for Microsoft Office Failing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Microsoft Updates for Microsoft Office Failing

    I have updated my laptop(Vista) and desktop (XP) today. My desktop installations went fine. My laptop has three stubborn updates that won't install. They are all for Microsoft Office. The updates are:
    Code:
    Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel 2003 (KB969681)
    Security Update for Microsoft Office Word 2003 (KB969603)
    Update for Microsoft Office 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB970011)
    I have tried the following steps:

    Restarting the computer.
    Changing the Startup Type of the Office Source Engine Service to "Automatic (Delayed Start)".
    Restarting the service manually.
    Failed again.
    Changing it back to manual.
    Restarting the service again manually.
    Failed again.
    EDIT:Restarted computer again.
    Failed with the same updates.


    That is where I am at now.

  • #2
    Re: Microsoft Updates for Microsoft Office Failing

    Go to Microsoft's Download Center and find those updates and download them manually and install them one by one. Then restart your machine.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

    Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-





    SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

    TG Primer and Rules

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Microsoft Updates for Microsoft Office Failing

      Now it is telling me the update cannot be applied. I restarted the OSE service in the Services window but I still get the same error.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Microsoft Updates for Microsoft Office Failing

        So the manual downloaded files won't install?
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

        Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-





        SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

        TG Primer and Rules

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Microsoft Updates for Microsoft Office Failing

          Stupid questions - Do you have the Office '03 suite installed? Do the programs listed above work, have you ever started them up?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Microsoft Updates for Microsoft Office Failing

            Originally posted by ZaBoo View Post
            Stupid questions - Do you have the Office '03 suite installed? Do the programs listed above work, have you ever started them up?
            Yes and yes.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Microsoft Updates for Microsoft Office Failing

              Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
              So the manual downloaded files won't install?
              no

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Microsoft Updates for Microsoft Office Failing

                I'd probably leave it alone for a few days. It's probably some misaligned patch from the last update or something. God knows I did the same thing a few weeks back when SP1 wouldn't install on my sister's rig after I installed Vista Business.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

                Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-





                SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

                TG Primer and Rules

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Microsoft Updates for Microsoft Office Failing

                  Originally posted by Fighter View Post
                  I have updated my laptop(Vista) and desktop (XP) today. My desktop installations went fine. My laptop has three stubborn updates that won't install. They are all for Microsoft Office. The updates are:
                  Code:
                  Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel 2003 (KB969681)
                  Security Update for Microsoft Office Word 2003 (KB969603)
                  Update for Microsoft Office 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB970011)
                  I have tried the following steps:

                  Restarting the computer.
                  Changing the Startup Type of the Office Source Engine Service to "Automatic (Delayed Start)".
                  Restarting the service manually.
                  Failed again.
                  Changing it back to manual.
                  Restarting the service again manually.
                  Failed again.
                  EDIT:Restarted computer again.
                  Failed with the same updates.


                  That is where I am at now.
                  ***

                  Hi Fighter;

                  I had the exact same problem & just fixed it on 2 computers. The consensus on the web is that it was caused by a reg cleaner wiping Office entries.

                  Try this procedure. It worked for me:

                  Back up registry first!

                  1st Rename Office subkeys

                  Note: Removing the following registry keys may reset customized user
                  settings for your Microsoft Office programs.

                  1. Close all the applications.
                  2. Click on Start->Run, type in REGEDIT and click on OK.
                  3. Locate and select the following registry subkeys:

                  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0
                  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0

                  4. Right click on 11.0 and rename them to Old11.
                  5. Close the Registry Editor.

                  2nd. Detect and Repair Office 2003

                  1. On the Windows taskbar, click Start, point to and click Control Panel.
                  2. Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
                  3. Click Change/Remove Programs on the left pane.
                  4. Highlight Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 on the right pane
                  and click Change.
                  5. Insert the correct version of CD when it requires.
                  6. Select “Reinstall and Repair” and click Next.
                  7. Select “Detect and Repair errors in my Office installation”.
                  8. Click Install and wait the process to end.

                  3rd. Re-Install the failed updates & be careful with reg cleaners.

                  ---

                  Good luck!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Microsoft Updates for Microsoft Office Failing

                    Originally posted by JohnnyStompanato View Post
                    ***

                    Hi Fighter;

                    I had the exact same problem & just fixed it on 2 computers. The consensus on the web is that it was caused by a reg cleaner wiping Office entries.

                    Try this procedure. It worked for me:

                    Back up registry first!

                    1st Rename Office subkeys

                    Note: Removing the following registry keys may reset customized user
                    settings for your Microsoft Office programs.

                    1. Close all the applications.
                    2. Click on Start->Run, type in REGEDIT and click on OK.
                    3. Locate and select the following registry subkeys:

                    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0
                    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0

                    4. Right click on 11.0 and rename them to Old11.
                    5. Close the Registry Editor.

                    2nd. Detect and Repair Office 2003

                    1. On the Windows taskbar, click Start, point to and click Control Panel.
                    2. Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
                    3. Click Change/Remove Programs on the left pane.
                    4. Highlight Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 on the right pane
                    and click Change.
                    5. Insert the correct version of CD when it requires.
                    6. Select “Reinstall and Repair” and click Next.
                    7. Select “Detect and Repair errors in my Office installation”.
                    8. Click Install and wait the process to end.

                    3rd. Re-Install the failed updates & be careful with reg cleaners.

                    ---

                    Good luck!
                    It works now...Magic man. Thanks!

                    Comment

                    Connect

                    Collapse

                    TeamSpeak 3 Server

                    Collapse

                    Advertisement

                    Collapse

                    Twitter Feed

                    Collapse

                    Working...
                    X