Anyone use Open office??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone use Open office??

I am building a new rig and want to run Window 7 RC. I currrently have office 2003 on my present rig and figure that it will not run on a 64 bit system (am I correct here?).

And so, rather than buy an all new MS office suit (64 bit), I thought I would try Open Office.
    Has anyone tried this, particularly for window 7?

Re: Anyone use Open office??

I use it Vista x64 (desktop) and Ubuntu (netbook) and I like it a lot. It isn't as slick as Microsoft Office but it works really well for the price.
    sigpic

Comment

Office 2007 runs on Vista x64. I have it running on my desktop. I also have OpenOffice 3 installed as well, though I'm not like the 2003-ish interface. OO Writer doesn't load that much faster than 2007 Word contrary to what others may say about it being "fast" (only be a few seconds).

When I'm using OO, at most I'll open a docx/doc file to read, but avoid writing or saving to one as I've had OO lock up quite a few times and some things have weird formatting issues when opening them back up in Office 2007. One plus between the two is that Office 2007 no supports .odt (open document type) so I can read and write a file in OO and then open it (and write to it) in 2007.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
        Office 2007 runs on Vista x64. I have it running on my desktop. I also have OpenOffice 3 installed as well, though I'm not like the 2003-ish interface. OO Writer doesn't load that much faster than 2007 Word contrary to what others may say about it being "fast" (only be a few seconds).

When I'm using OO, at most I'll open a docx/doc file to read, but avoid writing or saving to one as I've had OO lock up quite a few times and some things have weird formatting issues when opening them back up in Office 2007. One plus between the two is that Office 2007 no supports .odt (open document type) so I can read and write a file in OO and then open it (and write to it) in 2007.
        So I don't have to have OFFICE 2007 64 bit edition (sorry for the noob question) to run on a 64 OS?

Comment

Originally posted by Tobruk View Post
          So I don't have to have OFFICE 2007 64 bit edition (sorry for the noob question) to run on a 64 OS?
          No. Vista & 7 can run 32 bit applications natively. You can install any 32 bit software on there you'd like.

Install 2003 if you'd like, or OOo.
          "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
          Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Oh thanks, that is great news!

Comment

I do!

Comment

I have run OpenOffice for awhile on Vista 64bit. Works great, no problems.
                |TG| RoadWarrior

Comment

Originally posted by Spulat View Post
                  No. Vista & 7 can run 32 bit applications natively. You can install any 32 bit software on there you'd like.
                  For Office, that's likely true. But it's not true for all software. In particular, any software that installs kernel-level drivers must supply 64-bit versions of those drivers.

I ran into this recently when I needed to install an ancient "license manager" that used a USB dongle. I had it installed on a 32-bit server which died on me, so I tried to install it to a 64-bit server and it failed installing the USB driver for the dongle. My workaround was to install it to a 32-bit workstation.
                  Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Open Office is great. Thing is, you still get people sending you *.docx and other new MS formats unsupported by Open Office.

Comment

Originally posted by ZaBoo View Post
                      Open Office is great. Thing is, you still get people sending you *.docx and other new MS formats unsupported by Open Office.
                      ZaBoo, what you want is the DocX Converter.

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
                      --BlackMirror
                      <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
                      Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
                      --Blackraven93

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X