RANT: Dual-Core + 4 GiBs of RAM Is Not Enough

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RANT: Dual-Core + 4 GiBs of RAM Is Not Enough

I just found out how limiting my rig is. I have a C2D E8400 (3 GHz) and 4 GBs of RAM with Vista HP x64 and a 19" monitor.

I'm sitting here right now with Photoshop open with a 37 layer PSD that I spent the last 6 hours fixing and touching up. I also have After Effects open with the PSD imported into a composition as layers. On top of that I have Chrome with two tabs open and I'm typing this. Lastly I have a bunch of smaller background programs running.

Right now my RAM usage is at 90% and once I move more than 2 layers at a time in AE, both of my cores hit 100% and I have choppy performance and lag. This is going to take me a lot time to animate this 1 minute piece.

I'm really seeing a need for a quad-core or octo-core CPU with 8-16 GiBs of RAM and a 24" monitor to boot.

Edit: Oooooh...6,000th post.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: RANT: Dual-Core + 4 GiBs of RAM Is Not Enough

You are now an official forum whore :D :D

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
      You are now an official forum whore :D :D
      Seriously, I thought I was bad!

Comment

wow dude that really blows! E8400 is supposed to be a great proc. I mean thats Intel's latest dual-core I think. I know its not an old chip for sure. Quad core would probably do you alot of good though it sounds like. I like the 3GHz quad from intel if I had to stick with my system. And then I would say 8GB of 1066 ram you should be fine. Sucks cause I just sold a 24" HP monitor to my boss like yesterday. I gave it to him for $125!

Comment

Cough "mac" cough :)

Comment

Originally posted by Tobruk View Post
            Cough "mac" cough :)
            No Mac could give him the specs that he is looking for.

Comment

Probably why the i7s are so popular with Photoshopping friends I know. Almost all of them have it along with 6 GB+ RAM.

Comment

software just keeps scaling up....

I went from my X2 2.9GHz to my Phenom II X4 BE, clocking it usually at 3.5GHz... and I've seen tremendous difference with everything I do, of course the little bit of additional bandwidth with DDR2-1066 helps.

Especially with Vista, dual core is typically enough to run it... but not with any real measure of smoothness when it comes to working on heavier duty software. Might want to just tweak Photoshop a bit. They're typically coded in such a way to take advantage of the hardware you have, and use more physical memory (same goes with the OS; Vista & 7) as more is available, to put less cache on the page file.
                "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Originally posted by DrBeat View Post
                  No Mac could give him the specs that he is looking for.
                  You most certainly could. It'd just cost something like 3 large.
                  a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                  Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                  Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                  Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                  Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Originally posted by Spulat View Post
                    software just keeps scaling up....
                    That is because it a lot cheaper to write the code to use tomorrow's hardware then it is to write it to use today's hardware. And don't even think about how much it cost to write it for yesterdays hardware, why it could double the cost to write the program.

I often find that adobe products are more on the next months hardware side of the equation though.

Still I find it odd that you are getting lag with only 2+ layer changes, you might want to see just how much the cpu is using without adobe open, and how much ram is in use. You might have something stealing it in the background. ( last time I had massive lag, it turned out that my anti virus software decide it would be a good time to do a compete system scan.)
                    Current game name : Lost, Phantom Thief

Comment

2.8Ghz P4>Quad core

:D
                      |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Or you could just close a program or two :D

Comment

Originally posted by FL1Pmode View Post
                          Probably why the i7s are so popular with Photoshopping friends I know. Almost all of them have it along with 6 GB+ RAM.
                          If I end up getting a i7 (or whatnot) for my next rig or a future studio/work rig, 6 GBs isn't going to cut it not with game development where I'll be doing 3D animation, modeling, Lightwave, etc. I'm thinking those 6-cores + 12 GBs would do nicely.
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                            If I end up getting a i7 (or whatnot) for my next rig or a future studio/work rig, 6 GBs isn't going to cut it not with game development where I'll be doing 3D animation, modeling, Lightwave, etc. I'm thinking those 6-cores + 12 GBs would do nicely.
                            That is why I said 6+, because the more intensive apps you work with, the more sense it makes to go above that amount :)

Comment

Your rant should be about your work being too hardware intensive :P.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X