Embedded Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Embedded Linux

anyone here used it? I'm still looking for work and it seems that there are a LOT of companies using uC linux...

If you've used it, how did you get into it? I've got a few different evaluation boards for DSP's and uC's... is there a free distro I can download and play around with?

Re: Embedded Linux

Your link tells me to bugger off. I've never used μC, but it looks interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix
      I've been doing independent consulting work for the last four years or so, but most of that's dried up since the world imploded towards the end of last year. Soooo, I'm looking for a job, fulltime or contract. We're in Massachusetts right now, but are willing to relocate for the right job. I've been looking on the moster.com's of the world, but it's hard getting your foot in the door with most jobs - they've got 400 resumes for every opening... thus networking is really where it's at. So yeah - Send me a PM if you're company does anything with DSP's or embedded processors. Even if you're not currently hiring, I can put some calls in just in case they're about to open some req's! :D

What I call myself: Embedded Software and Systems Engineer with 10+ years experience

What I'm best at: I'm skilled in all aspects of software on embedded processors (DSP's, uC's, etc). I can do everything from bit-banging and board-bringup, to application integration and RTOS development, including drivers, firmware, etc. I'm also very capable in the realm of digital hardware, from designing systems at the schematic level, to debugging using scopes/analyzers, etc.
      sorry - guess it's in a SM-only forum <smack>

Comment

Well, speaking as a peasant, good luck finding a job in your field. I'm humping retail for the time being to keep the fridge stocked, though I'm on the edge of just going nuts and trying to go self-employ anything-I-can-think-of.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
          is there a free distro I can download and play around with?

I presume you've seen this. Looks neat!

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Whiskey... start by learning how to roll your own embedded distro using an old x86 motherboard. I started with an old Pentium 100MHz board. I first learned what it took to build a linux toolchain with an alternative to glibc (in my case uClibc). These two items are key and practicing on the x86 platform will net you a world of wealth as far as knowledge base. The uCLibc documentation has a lot on the steps necessary to both build your own toolchain and creating a target root image.

Might I also suggest:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X