Any Linux Gurus around?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Linux Gurus around?

Ok, I've fiddled around with linux a bit from time to time, and have had a dual boot on my laptop for the last year+. I've tried in the past to put it on my desktop, as I've always planned on having it as my primary OS and using Windows for gaming and the like. I ran into issues when trying to put it onto my RAID 0 array, but have since gotten past that issue very easily with the newest release of Ubuntu/Kubuntu (the alternative install CD can install to RAID arrays by default).

So I've got my Kubuntu install working and will be able to handle installing most of what I need, apart from my X-Fi as the drivers for it are pretty gross to install, and think I'll just resort to using my USB sound card until the new ALSA release includes their support for it.

The issue I'm having now is my bootloader. I've got Kubuntu 9.04 installed alongside Windows XP, and when trying to boot Windows, I get "Error 21: selected disk does not exist", but I know it does and should boot.

I've since then downloaded the super grub boot disk to see if I can figure anything out, but now seemingly have broken grub completely and can only boot from the super grub disk to select which OS I want.

Anyone out there wanna help me rebuild my grub boot loader, or can point me in a good direction? Most of the fixes I've looked don't really look like they'll help me.

Re: Any Linux Gurus around?

I've had difficulty with my Game OS installation in the past; but only when I fail to install it first. Did you install *buntu after Windows was on the drive, or before?

In my experience, Grub is loading from the MBR and looking at my /boot/grub/menu.lst; you may need only open that and ensure that the Windows option has the correct device ID. It will probably have UUID codes, but old /dev/?da codes should work fine if you don't know how to get the UUID codes. If the windows partition is mounted under linux, your fstab may have the information.

Comment

Yeah, Windows was on beforehand. I believe what you said is exactly my problem, so I just gotta figure out how to edit Grub to call the right OS to boot.

Comment

Try putting this in /boot/grub/menu.lst, or wherever your grub list is at. You could grep everything for "Config file for GRUB" if you can't find it, since that string should be in the first line of the file as a comment.

title Windows QD
        rootnoverify (hd0,0)
        makeactive
        chainloader +1

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed