Need Computer Engineer or similar!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Computer Engineer or similar!

Or someone disgustingly familiar with the xbox/usb.

I am creating a custom xbox controler, from the ground up. Yes, Ive been told it is going to be one massive headache. I am going to use an Atmega8515 as the mcu. Every button will be digital instead of analog (except the joysticks), and there will be no expansion ports/rumble incorporated. I was also toying with the idea of using a laptop touch pad to replace one of the joysticks.

Problem: the xbox uses a TI USB daughter board as it's connection to controllers + periferals. In a sense, the controller is just one big usb hub itself. I do not know usb, have been looking at a ton of reference material, and pretty much need help. My original plan was to have the MCU do all of the usb handling, but I am finding that emulating that on the MCU is near impossible for me to accomplish. Plan B is to desoder the existing USB ic on a MS controller and frankenstien it into my design... which leads me to question how does one communicate with a USB ic?

/me takes a deap breath

So, anyone out there familiar with designing circuts and coding ICs AND can help me determine how to use the USB ic to my advantage?
    USAR

Re: Need Computer Engineer or similar!

It might help to understand your level of knowledge. I could tell you a few very basic things, but you may know way more than me.

The first thing I would do if I wanted to work with a usb IC would be to find the data sheet. If you can find the data sheet for the IC you want to use then you will be well on your way to figuring out how to interface it with your MCU
    Steam Community: | |

Comment

Go here: http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?m...em&item_id=572 (that whole site and the forums are the best web resource for AVRs)

Comment

Random: http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?n...wtopic&t=28204

Few steps ahead. The problem with the USB ic is that it has about 1k of memory programmed into it, from ms.

Level of understanding: I know how to program stamps/pics/atmels in basic and c. I can create basic circuits, dont know too much advance circuit design. I sorta scratch my head at most data sheets, unless im learning on a simple IC. Heres the usb ic btw: http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/pr...s&part_id=3000
        USAR

Comment

Ah, it seems you know just about as much as I do... Im pretty handy with a Motorola 68HC11, but I know nothing of USB.
          Steam Community: | |

Comment

So right now the plan is to desoder the existing usb ic and frankenstien it into my design. This alleviates one big problem (usb), and leaves me with one small problem (interfacing with the usb controller). Any help would be appreciated regardless of experience, cause its allways easier for me to bounce ideas/get feedback in order to solve these kinds of problems.
            USAR

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X