What would be your next HDD?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would be your next HDD?

I am looking to replace two HDDs that have been acting funny on me.
    Ideally I would like to have a small drive just for the OS and then a larger HDD just for my programs. Currently I have a third HDD that holds all my Data.

Are you looking to replace an HDD soon or just built a PC and like the HDD you have. Suggestions for replacement are most welcome. Thank You.

Re: What would be your next HDD?

Letting us know what kind of user you are. There are some high performance drives, or high capacity drives. Otherwise, HDD's are pretty standard, I would say 250gb 7200rpm, if your not looking for something "fancy" - Oh and try to get a brand that you at least heard of before.

Edit: errr 250gb I mean.

Comment

If I were looking for an operating system drive right now, I'd take a look at the Western Digital Black 640Gb drives. They're considered some of the fastest on the market, and have a decent capacity. For the most part, they're fairly cheap too.
      In my system right now I have a 320Gb WD Caviar SE16 for my OS drive, and a 1Tb Western Digital Green W10EAVS for my media. In the case of my media, the cache on the drive didn't really matter, so 8Mb was more than enough, as nothing is installed on it, and all of my content plays fine off of it.
      Hope that helped a bit.
      Cheers,
      It's Gaming
      Proud to have been a member of the 55th Infantry Division!

Comment

I am a gamer, and I love my Flight Simulator X, a novice audiophile and of course I like my movies. I occasionally work on photos. But as far as video encoding or building websites or editing multimedia sources that's not my main concern.

I was surfing the web when I came across this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152102 for my programs to run on.

Comment

4 WD velociraptors http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136296 in a raid 5 for OS and programs

2 WD black 1TB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136284 in raid 0 for local files and scratch discks (video, audio, and image files)

and 4 WD 2TB green drives http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136344 in a drobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822240010 for long term data storage, ISO's and backups.

but I have already stated my hdd requirements as astronomical for the everyday user.

I have more than 7TB right now full out of 8.3TB (not including the 6 stacks of 100 DVD-DL discs full in the closet = ~5 more TB) and am still wanting the 4x 2tb WD drives for the drobo myself.
          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
          The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

May I ask what you do for a living that requires that much storage?

Comment

Originally posted by Global.Cooling View Post
              What I want to know is what he does for fun that requires so much storage.
              a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
              Celibacy is not Hereditary.
              Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
              Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
              Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

I would absolutely go with a SSD for the OS/Boot drive, and a large WD for my second drive.

The Intel SSD (80 GB I believe) is less than $300 now.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Global.Cooling View Post
                  I edit video as well as audio, websites, pictures, etc. I do publications (fliers, logos, posters, billboards, brochures, newspaper ads) also.

Since November of last year, all my video has been in 1080p, which eats up to 30gigs per hour. one 30 second 3 camera commercial can put 15+ gigs on my hdd in video alone.

so, yeah... 20 TB is not something I would get lost in....
                  Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                  The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
                    What I want to know is what he does for fun that requires so much storage.
                    :icon_lol: Good point!
                    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X