Windows XP 64-bit - worth the RAM?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP 64-bit - worth the RAM?

Need some input here... anyone here using 64-bit OS? either XP or Vista?

I've got 4GB of RAM and upgraded to a video card with 1GB on it (thanks pancho)... So I feel like I really should be running an OS that can actually address all that memory.

My question is this: is it worth the SW incompatibility issues to get a bit more RAM? (RAM which may or may not get used with any frequency)

Re: Windows XP 64-bit - worth the RAM?

I'm not running one, but I'd say no. One of these days they'll work out the kinks and deliver a workable non-Linux based 64 OS, but it's not today.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
      Need some input here... anyone here using 64-bit OS? either XP or Vista?

I've got 4GB of RAM and upgraded to a video card with 1GB on it (thanks pancho)... So I feel like I really should be running an OS that can actually address all that memory.

My question is this: is it worth the SW incompatibility issues to get a bit more RAM? (RAM which may or may not get used with any frequency)
      Maybe try the Windows 7 RC 64bit. I've got it installed, and its my first 64bit OS.

Comment

Originally posted by UnDeaD77 View Post
        Maybe try the Windows 7 RC 64bit. I've got it installed, and its my first 64bit OS.
        +1

XP x64 would probably end up being more trouble than it's worth, but you can't really go wrong with the RC. I mean you COULD go wrong by installing Vista.

Right now you're losing out on the RAM addressing above all, and there's (uncomplicated) ways of making software work with Win7 in the odd event that something doesn't work.
        "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
        Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

what's compatibility like w/ win7? most DL links for drivers, apps, etc don't have win7 versions. Does it just take the Vista64 version? or does xp32 stuff work without much hassle?

Comment

I run XP32 and W7 64 on my system, with 6GB of ram. So far, I use XP for most gaming stuff due to no PB compatibility. BUT W7 has give me no issues. Installed fine on a seperate HDD, and best of all, there are drivers out there for W7 RC, so my new GTX275 runs sweet, as does my X-FI card (I know, they never release ANY drivers, I was happy though). No issues, and performance rocks. And GOD is W7 sexy....

Comment

what's compatibility like w/ win7? most DL links for drivers, apps, etc don't have win7 versions. Does it just take the Vista64 version? or does xp32 stuff work without much hassle?
              95% of the basic stuff will auto-import Vista drivers and use those. the other 5% either has it's own drivers or the vista 64bit drivers work.

For instance when I did my new build it auto-detected and installed all of the drivers for my motherboard. Which was a good thing, as it turns out my MB disk wouldn't recognize the OS and thus not install.
              a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
              Celibacy is not Hereditary.
              Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
              Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
              Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

what about for gaming... playing L4D, BF2142, AA3, and ArmAII (soon)... any issues w/ those on Win7? punkbuster doesn't like Win7? undead - you playing 2142 on Win7?

Comment

what about for gaming... playing L4D, BF2142, AA3, and ArmAII (soon)... any issues w/ those on Win7? punkbuster doesn't like Win7? undead - you playing 2142 on Win7?
                  There seems to be a way to make PB work with 32 bit, but not x64.

L4D works flawlessy. Not sure about the others, the ArmaII demo doesn't seem to like it but I think that's a video card issue
                  "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                  Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

I know steam games work fine. I play Tf2 and L4d Quite a bit over Win7. You just need to make sure you get the win7 beta drivers for your video card.

Also worth pointing out that Win7 retail will be available in October at wholesalers..
                    a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                    Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                    Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                    Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                    Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

I've been running XPx64 for about a week now, with no real problems. (I did have to get a new wireless adapter.) Played 2142, CoD 4 and 5 with no problems. Had to manually install all my drivers though, which is no big deal.

Comment

Um..Been Running VISTA 64 bit for a year or so with NO ISSUES. STEAM Games no problem etc..
                        |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
                        ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

L4D, BF2124 AA3 and ARMA 2 all WORK well with Vista 64..
                          |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
                          ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

XP 64 bit never worked very well due to the lack of driver support. Vista 64, on the other hand, is great, regardless of what the sheeple say. Most programs that are compatible with 32 bit XP also run under Vista 64 bit and the driver support is great. The Windows 7 RC is great but I'm back to Vista because of the Punk Buster issues.
                            sigpic

Comment

I'm running Vista 64 Ultimate. As I said in another thread, if the program doesn't use drivers, you're ok. If it does use drivers, make sure 64 bit ones are available.

It would be interesting to see why PB doesn't work with W7. I'd guess it's because it has hooks into the kernel and those break due to kernel changes in the beta OS.
                              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X