Windows 7 Feature Focus: Windows Media Center

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 Feature Focus: Windows Media Center

A lot of people say that Media Center is one of the best parts of Vista, and is greatly improved over the XP version. From the looks of the article over at Maximum PC, the Media Center in Win7 is looking even better.

Windows 7 Feature Focus: Windows Media Center

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Windows 7 Feature Focus: Windows Media Center

I love the Vista Media Center! My favorite has to be the fact that I can stream Netflix. I should probably buy a TV tuner sometime.

Comment

I really like Media Center but here is the challenge I have with loading Windows 7 RC on my laptop. The installation was a breaze but it won't give me access to certain folders on my C drive where I need to place my profile for my AVG firewall/anti virus program. I have played around with trying to change permissions on the C drive with use of calcs.exe but haven't been able to get it to work yet.

Birdie said he has had no problems on his but I don't think he has tried to access the same folders on the C drive.
      "The mind stretched to a new concept can never return to it's orginal dimension."
      "What the mind can conceive and believe..... it can achieve."

The Mediator

Comment

The only thing that keeps me from having a spectacular Media Center experience, is not being able to tune the encrypted cable channels.
        "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
        Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Just a quick update. MS just finished a presentation about new stuff for media center, and some crazy good news:

Media Center CableCARDs freed from OEM requirement

I actually stared at that title and reread it 3-4 times because I thought there must be some mistake. Can't wait to put together a HTPC in a few months once some tuners get released.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Until netflix releases a plugin for Win 7 Media Center it is mostly useless to me.
            Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
            - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
            - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
            - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
            - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
            - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
            - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
              Until netflix releases a plugin for Win 7 Media Center it is mostly useless to me.
              This was just posted on Engadget.com a couple hours ago:

Windows 7 to get a better version of Netflix than Vista

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

As an update, this just posted on Engadget:

Microsoft emancipates Digital Cable Tuners with second Media Center update today

It really has me in disbelief. I can't believe they are doing it, and I have to question why. It can't be because it is what the consumer wanted, because they have wanted it for YEARS. So why now?

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                  So why now?
                  Sales.

This kind of change will bring in more incremental sales of W7 with people replacing Vista or XPMCE on their HTPCs. When tuners are available, they will still need to satisfy your cable carriers encryption and configuration protocols to work properly. I remember that with my parents HD TV, they had to "rent" a tuner card from the local cable company to get native tuning without a cable company set top box. This could be an extension of that.

Comment

Anandtech just posted a really good article about it:
                    The Cable Chronicles: Win7 Digital Cable Advisor Released

Looks like the ATI tuner is still the only one, and it is expensive and limited. Hopefully some other makers can rush their product to market soon.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I've been impressed so far with the seamless integration of media player into the GUI. I haven't even bothered installing another media player yet.
                      "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Here's another cool add-on for WMC:

My Movies 3 Is a Beautiful Movie Add-on for Windows Media Center

There is also a link to another article with 8 more add-ons you might like.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

New report on the CableCard:
                          FCC: Whoops, CableCARD Was a Total Disaster
                          Hell freezes over, the FCC admits that CableCARD is a failure

And Lifehacker posted this:
                          Media Browser Is a Must-Have Windows Media Center Add-On

When I get my media center rolling, will be installing that for sure!

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Netflix on Windows 7 media center is pretty nice.
                            Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                            - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                            - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                            - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                            - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                            - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                            - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X