Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need assistance and likely a recommendation to replace a router.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need assistance and likely a recommendation to replace a router.

So I recently had to replace my router due to it getting fried somehow. It just stopped working and then I smelt the burnt plastic smell coming from the top of the router. The previous model was a BEFVP41 that I bought about 6 or 7 years ago. So I had to get something to connect my PS3 and the other computer at home to the internet. So I went ahead and replaced it on the cheap with a BEFSR41.

But I get notifications that I am losing connection to the network and now I can't get my PS3 to see my PlayOn server. Like I could on the BEFVP41 router.
    I even went ahead and placed my computer in the DMZ to see if the PS3 could see the server. But I still get no icon on the PS3 display that a media server is available. I even went so far as to download tversity and try a different program with no success.

So can anyone give me a bone to try and get this working.
    Or even recommend a router that work as good or better then my first router the BEFVP41?

Re: Need assistance and likely a recommendation to replace a router.

I don't know much about fixing routers but I've had really good luck with Buffalo products. My WHR-G54S is discontinued but it has worked like a champ for about three years. My brother and Mom both have Buffalo routers that wok really well also. Perhaps a firmware update might fix your current router but if it doesn't, might I suggest something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833162134

It is the model that my Mom and her husband have and it works great.
    sigpic

Comment

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/hardwar...o-you-use.html

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/hardwar...ss-router.html
      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Well it turned out to be the router I purchased that was causing me the problems.
        After purchasing another router this time from Netgear a WNR 3500.
        It was very straightforward to setup and I haven't been dropped from my network as would happen every hour or so on the Linksys.
        I can now run my PS3 through the wifi connection. Which with the included software was a breeze to do. The best thing was that in about 15 minutes I had everything running and as I wanted.

Comment

While on the wireless router subject, does anyone have any experience with Dlink? I'm needing to buy a router with Draft N, and this one has really good reviews and a combo deal with a hi-gain antenna:

D-Link DIR-655

If you look at all the routers
          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...rchResult=True

you will see that it is pretty hard to find one with an awesome rating that has Draft N as well. And the one above has 4/5 after 700+ votes, so is pretty decent.

Any advice here?

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

When I worked at Best Buy (it has been almost a year and things might have changed), D-Link routers were our most returned wireless networking brand for one reason or another. That is purely anecdotal but it has made me reluctant to buy their stuff.
            sigpic

Comment

Quite frankly, I've had better luck scouring eBay for a $30 used WRT54G v2 and slapping the Tomato firmware on it, than I did with the new Linksys G router I bought a few months back, and far better than the D-Link router I bought almost 2 years ago.

Unless you're looking for a draft-N router, I'd say that's the way to go. It's not new, and who knows how long the electronics will last before getting fried like yours did (shouldn't with adequate ventilation). But this gave mine new life.

For the record, the only Open-WRT based firmware I know of that works on the WRT54G2 Cisco-branded Linksys G routers is DD-WRT. With that Firmware, I only had a few LESS problems than I did with the stock firmware.

I don't have anything that can use 802.11n, and my DVR and whatnot is wired in, and everything in the house is on a Gigabit switch (not to mention I'm not buying "n" until the standard is actually ratified and released...). So....
              "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
              Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Quite frankly, I've had better luck scouring eBay for a $30 used WRT54G v2 and slapping the Tomato firmware on it, than I did with the new Linksys G router I bought a few months back, and far better than the D-Link router I bought almost 2 years ago.

Unless you're looking for a draft-N router, I'd say that's the way to go. It's not new, and who knows how long the electronics will last before getting fried like yours did (shouldn't with adequate ventilation). But this gave mine new life.

For the record, the only Open-WRT based firmware I know of that works on the WRT54G2 Cisco-branded Linksys G routers is DD-WRT. With that Firmware, I only had a few LESS problems than I did with the stock firmware.

I don't have anything that can use 802.11n, and my DVR and whatnot is wired in, and everything in the house is on a Gigabit switch (not to mention I'm not buying "n" until the standard is actually ratified and released...). So....
                "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X