Clear All

• Should I go with W7 64 bit OS

Okay so I am just finishing up my new rig:

i7 920
    6 gb ram
    2 WD Black 500 mg (Raid 0)
    ATI 4870 1 gb
    P6T MB

Now I have to decide on a 64 bit OS. I could buy Vista, but with W7 around the corner, I think that seems unwise.

Do you think I am safe to go with the W7 64 bit RC?

BTW, I am running W7 32 bit on my notebook and really like it, but I can't find suitable audio and video drivers (no vista drivers). I get basic video, but no sound.

As for my new rig, should I anticipate similar issues with my video card driver?

Re: Should I go with W7 64 bit OS

Personally, I say just use Win7 RC till the full version comes out. And as for 64 VS 32, choose 64 for sure. Tons of the laptops and desktops at bestbuy are even shipping with Vista 64, so it pretty much is main stream now. Not to mention you have 6 gigs of RAM, and you won't get half that if you run 32bit and the rig you posted above.

Not sure where you are getting the motherboard from, but make sure you compare the Deluxe Version 2 and the regular p6t, just to make sure it doesn't have extra features you would like. Price difference is only like $20 or less, and there are lots of good deals at newegg.

As a matter of fact, check out this killer deal from my morning Newegg newsletter
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.203779

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

You don't have anything to lose by loading up Win7 x64 RC and seeing for yourself....
      "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
      Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
        Personally, I say just use Win7 RC till the full version comes out. And as for 64 VS 32, choose 64 for sure. Tons of the laptops and desktops at bestbuy are even shipping with Vista 64, so it pretty much is main stream now. Not to mention you have 6 gigs of RAM, and you won't get half that if you run 32bit and the rig you posted above.

Not sure where you are getting the motherboard from, but make sure you compare the Deluxe Version 2 and the regular p6t, just to make sure it doesn't have extra features you would like. Price difference is only like $20 or less, and there are lots of good deals at newegg.

As a matter of fact, check out this killer deal from my morning Newegg newsletter

Damn that is a killer deal.

Comment

So killer I might just BUY it.

I'm brainstorming my build for July.. That's so tempting...
          Skud

Comment

I would if I were you. You get almost all the major pc parts (except video card) together in a bundle that saves you 105 bucks ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post

Thanks for the advice. That is a killer deal unfortunately it is US. Okay I think I will go with W7 64. BTW is there an upgrade coupon if I were to buy Vista 64?

Comment

So tempting...just after I'd decided to hold off for i5.
                |TG|Melee
                Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

My understanding from microsoft store is that Windows 7 is sold with 32bit and 64bit in one box and not separated. But yeah wait for Windows 7 (late Oct)
                  Mat0!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X