No announcement yet.

What do you do with your old computers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you do with your old computers?

My old gaming rigs are gathering dust in a spare bedroom. As is an old server I used to have colocated. My mom's old PC has CentOS 5 on it and I rsync my current home server to it about once a day in case of disaster. (The server and backup are in separate houses, with the server at my neighbor's.)

So I'm building up a supply of old rigs that I don't use anymore, of various vintages up to 10 years old. (The really ancient stuff is about to get dragged out to Weird Stuff, a surplus store in the Silicon Valley.)
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: What do you do with your old computers?

I usually take what's still workable and upgrade my girlfriend's machine. She got quite a boost when I brought her up from an ancient 1.5 Ghz P4 (bought right after those chips came out) and integrated video to a 3800+ Athalon and a 7900 GT.

Whatever tech she doesn't get I try to hock to whomever will buy it. Like people at work with low budgets but the knowledge to do it themselves.

Hell I've still got 2.4 Ghz P4 board and processor sitting on my desk. I've already got a machine as a server, so I've got nothing to do with it.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder228 View Post
      I usually take what's still workable and upgrade my girlfriend's machine. She got quite a boost when I brought her up from an ancient 1.5 Ghz P4 (bought right after those chips came out) and integrated video to a 3800+ Athalon and a 7900 GT.

Whatever tech she doesn't get I try to hock to whomever will buy it. Like people at work with low budgets but the knowledge to do it themselves.
      So you sell the stuff you remove from your gf's machine?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Some of it. Sold her old DDR ram and tiny IDE hard drive to a co-worker for the cheap.

I also give/sell stuff that I can't put into her or my brother's machine like AGP video cards tiny ram modules etc. Everything else I either throw out or smash with a sledge hammer first so my scammer neighbor won't steal it.

Comment

What's wrong with your neighbor stealing it? And where would he be stealing it from? Is he going through your trash?

Comment

Well he runs his own computer "business" and routinely tells people that their computers need replacement then turns around and sells their computer to some other unknowing sap. I'd hate to have my parts pilfered and go into a machine that he's selling as "Top of the Line." He's right across the street so pulling some parts out of a ruined case in the middle of night would be very easy.

I'm probably being paranoid but I just don't like him.

To get back on topic when I interned for a school we did some program with Dell where we gave them old Dell machines and they gave the school credit towards new ones. They recycled everything in the machines we gave. Pretty good deal.

Comment

although I do not have an extra computer laying around I would like to take my current rig and make a HTPC out of it when I upgrade, and with boxee on windows now I can just leave my copy of vista on there
              Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Part of the reason I asked is that it seems like every week someone new is asking for advice on building a new computer, and that would suggest that there are a lot of cast-off computers among the TG population.

Comment

I build 2 pc's. My first one (back in january 2007) is now in the posession of my dad. He uses it for browsing, watching movies. Before that he was on a Athlon 1800+,1 gb ram, geforce fx 5700. Now he has en E6400, 2 gig ram and a 7950GT factory overclocked.

My second one I build almost 3 weeks ago and using it now :)

Comment

I've got a Pentium III rig around with a CRT monitor and I need to get rid of it sometime. I think Best Buy has recycling but I need to get rid of it.

Comment

I reuse as many parts as I can and give the rest to friends. We have a nice flow of "stuff" that gets used again and again. Im still runing an old Connor 40GIG HD (backup) that I got from Exp262's dad many years ago.

Sarcoma
                      Sarcoma.

Comment

Give to family and friends :icon_cool
                        The Old Guy
                        kin3
                        sigpic

Comment

I shall be buying a new rig soon and may use the old parts to upgrade my brothers piece of crap, or buy a wireless keyboard and mouse and use it as a media center, or just bury it in the back garden and see if a new one grows! :row__642:

Comment

Pass on my old hardware to my brothers, and family.
                            I stay on the fairly high end, and they always seem to get medium PC's - for free.

Comment

A lot of my old gear I take to my mothers to upgrade her machine, she only looks at net and plays some casual games so it doesn't need much power.

POE2 Developer

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X