• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 official pricing announced, limited pre-orders start tomorrow

Looks like I might be heading into BestBuy tomorrow:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/25/w...rders-start-t/

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Windows 7 official pricing announced, limited pre-orders start tomorrow

so what is the deal with the 'upgrade disks' I don't fully understand, I get that they are $50 but do I have to install vista every time I install 7 , because that seems to silly, or is it just OEM in different terms
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Originally posted by Reaperassault View Post
      so what is the deal with the 'upgrade disks' I don't fully understand, I get that they are $50 but do I have to install vista every time I install 7 , because that seems to silly, or is it just OEM in different terms
      Was wondering about the same thing...

Comment

If this is anything like the XP upgrade disks, when you do not have a qualifying previous version installed , you will get prompted to put your previous version media in the CD/DVD drive.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

With Vista, there was a known loophole where you could install Vista from upgrade disk, not activitate, then put the disk in and install again. The OS would still see it as an upgrade from a previous OS.

And with how fast Win7 installs, I don't really see that as much of a hassle considering most people only reinstall once every other year or so, if even that often. I have read about tons of people that haven't reinstalled in 4-5 years, sometimes longer.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

If I have Vista Ultimate from way back, do I need to purchase the full?

Looks like I might go to Best Buy too.

Comment

Big update for this:

Windows 7 pre-orders begin, now (update: but not for Europe)

and

How to Pre-Order Windows 7 Tonight (and How To Cut The Line)

If you are trying to decide what version you need:

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Why in the world are OEM and retail the same price? That's absurd. I know I'll never use MS tech support or any of the other perks of retail, why should I pay for it?

I want a full copy of Home Pro. No way I'm pay $300 for it. With all the distros of Linux out there, pay THAT much for an OS is unfathomable to me.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

That was pulled from WiKipedia Spyder, and I really doubt the OEM will be the same price as Retail. More than likely it will be about $99 just like Vista OEM is now.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

I look at it this way: New video card, or Win 7. Sorry, but I'll go for the new card everytime.

Ninety-nine is more in my price range. Guess no preorder for me. I'll wait for the OEM.

Comment

Spyder, I'm confused. Why would you want to pay $99 when you can get the preorder for $50?

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Wait, all I found online was the Pro upgrade version. I want the full version so I don't have to install XP every time I format the drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                          With Vista, there was a known loophole where you could install Vista from upgrade disk, not activitate, then put the disk in and install again. The OS would still see it as an upgrade from a previous OS.

I can confirm that this does work for Vista, obviously I don't know about Win7.

Here's the directions for anyone interested http://www.windowssecrets.com/comp/070201
                          Big-eye101: "A true catman post a day keeps the bad mood away"

Please do not take any posts made by Catman seriously. If you begin to take his posts seriously, please seek psychiatric attention.

Comment

Where is this $50 option people speak of? That wouldn't be bad (unless I would have to install a previous os first (pita). Otherwise I will probably stay with Vista and hope I get my hands on some free promo copy ><.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

Looks like I'll be getting the Professional version upgrade.
                              Is there such thing as upgrade OEM? That would be even better.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X