i7 920
    6gb Ocz x.m.l ram
    P6T
    2 500gb WD blacks
    ATI 4870 1gb
    Coolit Domino CPU fan/cooler
    Coolmaster 690 case
    Corsair 750

Okay everything installed clean and neat and posted error free first time :)

Then I tried to install Windows 7 64 :(

After some trial, I managed to load the drivers for the intel matrix storage manager for Raid 0 configuration via USB

I then upgraded the Bios

Then installed the CD/DVD with windows 7 RC 7100

This worked fine until it asked where I wanted to install.

I set a partition of 30 gb within my 1 tb raid config.

Bam! Windows cannot install on this (or any other partition)

I fiddled around with this issue for hours--checking for solutions at Asus and MS sites. No luck. Then after countless attempts, it magically accepted my partition an began to install.

It collected, expanded and installed well. Then during the "updating" phase of the installation. BAM! it hung up. Just incase, I just left it and I grabbed 4 hours of sleep.

Upon awaking, it was still hung and I had to do a reset to the bios.

At which point, it must have been messed up because it kept trying to initiate windows, only to hang on a black screen. After several reboots, it managed to enter the installation procedure again and I am back to the situation of windows being unable to install on the partition.

Soo frustrating. I am of a mind to just go out and purchase Vista 64, but I don't want to have to pay twice just to get Windows 7.

BTW I have W7 runing on a 32 bit system and I love it.

I guess the good news, is that all the hardware seems to work.

Re: Windows 7 upgrade nightmare

Okay after 5-6 days of trying to get Windows 7 64 installed on Raid 0 configuration, I threw in the towel and ran a non-raid installation and it worked first try.

I loved how Windows 7 automatically connected to my wifes rig (also with windows 7) through the home network. It then automatically set up all the internet parameters and I was online in an instant.

As I have built a new rig, I think I will use this first install just to get all the proper drivers installed and tweak the settings to ensure that the hardware is functioning.

Then I will either reformat and try for a Raid install, or choke and buy and SSD for an OS drive. Any recommendations?

Or and advice on getting a successful Raid 0 install?

Comment

I lost interest in Raid0 after it crashed once. Life without it isn't so much worse. I think the SSD is the future. They do something like Raid0 in those drives.

Comment

With 6 GB of RAM, there's no rhyme or reason why you should be running a 32 bit OS. Try it again with the 64 bit.

When you're loading the RAID drivers, use the 64 bit Vista drivers to complete the install.
        "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
        Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Indeed you are short-changing yourself by running a 36 bit OS with 6 gb of ram.

Comment

Originally posted by FL1Pmode View Post
            No no, you misunderstood. My fault sorry. I have the 32 bit version running on my other computer.

For this rig it is 64 bit all the way!

Here is an update.

No matter what I tried, could not get the raid 0 to accept windows 7 64.

So, instead I installed it on a single Sata drive. All went well and then....I started receiving "sataport1 device error" in the bios boot. Hitting F1 resumed to the OS boot.

After a couple of more days I received an error from Windows: "there is a problem with your hard drive, would you like to initiate a backup in the event of disk failure." (something like this).

On this news I downloaded a Western Digital app to check the drive. It reported all was well but then started sounding an alarm every two minutes.

Suffice to say, I believe all my struggles have been caused by a faulty drive--indeed each time my Windows 7 installation failed under raid0 my raid config app reported an error and I had to reset (duh!).

I will return it to the store this week. Might even pick up a fancy OCZ SSD and skip the Raid0 altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by Tobruk View Post
              No no, you misunderstood. My fault sorry. I have the 32 bit version running on my other computer.

For this rig it is 64 bit all the way!

Here is an update.

No matter what I tried, could not get the raid 0 to accept windows 7 64.

So, instead I installed it on a single Sata drive. All went well and then....I started receiving "sataport1 device error" in the bios boot. Hitting F1 resumed to the OS boot.

After a couple of more days I received an error from Windows: "there is a problem with your hard drive, would you like to initiate a backup in the event of disk failure." (something like this).

On this news I downloaded a Western Digital app to check the drive. It reported all was well but then started sounding an alarm every two minutes.

Suffice to say, I believe all my struggles have been caused by a faulty drive--indeed each time my Windows 7 installation failed under raid0 my raid config app reported an error and I had to reset (duh!).

I will return it to the store this week. Might even pick up a fancy OCZ SSD and skip the Raid0 altogether.
              Hardware failure makes sense. OCZ will probably make up for the RAID, unless you RAID two of them together. ;)

Make sure you read up on the threads in the Hardware & Software forum on SSDs, there's been a few of them, and a couple of them are updated rather regularly.
              "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
              Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Originally posted by FL1Pmode View Post
                Wait, he's running TOPS-10? :p

(I used to work on 36-bit DEC mainframes.)
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                  Wait, he's running TOPS-10? :p

(I used to work on 36-bit DEC mainframes.)
                  It was a typo! :row__642:

Comment

Havenít tried on a raid setup yet but I grabbed an old 80gig SATA and threw Win7 64 bit on it in my new rig to see how it would do and it went smooth and runs better than Vista and XP did... will have to try a raid setup next... FYI normally a raid setup requires the drivers on CD or USB drive and will need to be added during initial windows install

Installed fine and runs great on the following rig...
                    Manufacturer: Slaughters 1337 Gear
                    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
                    Memory: 6144MB RAM - OCZ 16000mhz
                    Hard Drive: 630 GB Total
                    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285
                    Monitor: 22" Wide Screen DELL 2208WFP
                    Sound Card: Creative SB Audigy 2
                    Speakers/Headphones: Klipsch
                    Keyboard: Logitech G15
                    Mouse: Logitech G5
                    Mouse Surface: Anything
                    Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7100)
                    Motherboard: EVGA X58
                    Computer Case: Antec 1200

Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way

Comment

Yes Slaughter, installing the intel raid controller driver was a bit of challenge because my MB CD would not install on Windows 7. I had to download the driver and load it on a USB key.

FYI, my problems were definitely caused by a corrupt drive. I tested the drive on other sataports, with new cables etc. and received device errors everytime, whereas the other drive is error free.

I plan to return it to the store--one big advantage over "newegg"--and possibly put the money toward an OCZ 120 gb Vertex SSD ($349 cdn). This would be my OS and game drive, while retaining the the other 500gb WD black for data, MS office and older games.

Sound logical, other than paying $350 for 120gb of storage :(?

Comment

Why is it important if you have RAID or not? Anyways I would definitely recommend getting that SSD drive :)

Comment

All it takes is for that lovely RAID configuration to go corrupted on you...and corrupt your backup drive to turn you away from RAID forever...I feel safer with my 750GB drive than I did with RAID.

Comment

Well, just try Win 7 out I partitioned a 1 Terabyte Raid 0 (2x WD500GB RE3 on Asus's DriveXpert SATA ports) to 40GB, and formatted it NTFS with the label Windows 7 RC1. Then I ran the Win 7 ISO DVD and it loaded, saw the 40GB hard drive partition and then installed fully. It loaded all drivers except my Creative Soundblaster card and ATI GPU drivers - which I installed manually with no problems. Win 7 actually installed ATI drivers from May, so I just installed the newest ones instead.

I went back and ran the process again to show the partition selection. Here are some pics:

So far Win 7 works good. I find it very similar to Vista with a few new features, and like Vista it's much faster than XP. Of course both my versions of Vista and Win 7 are 64bit, whereas my XP is 32bit. I also use the Readyboost feature in Vista with a 4GB USB flash drive , and was happy to see it available on Win 7 as well.

-Zip

:row__631:

:icon_frow
                            |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
                            sigpic

Comment

I went and stuck a solid state drive in and ran my operating system off that one alone. i then have 2 other 500gb drives slaved together in a raid 0. for some reason it never liked the 64bit install on the raid or i was doing something wrong.

i'm gonna see if i can't get win 7 free through retail access. do some homework get rewarded.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X