Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

help: Win7 + 4850 = no video over DVI-to-HDMI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • help: Win7 + 4850 = no video over DVI-to-HDMI

    Greetings people of earth. I come to you with an epic problem of evil insanity sure to sear your brain. A problem who's tale will be told for generations. A problem who... <skip a bit brother> right then...

    I recently upgraded from an x1950xt to a 4850 1GB and am sad because I can no longer get video to my 42" Samsung Plasma.


    Current Setup (not working):

    Windows 7 RC (64-bit)
    ATI 4850 1GB
    Catalyst 9.6 drivers
    DVI-D to HDMI Cable (this one specifically)

    Previous Setup (working)
    Windows 7 RC (64-bit)
    ATI x1950 xt
    Catalyst 9.2 drivers
    DVI-D to HDMI Cable (this one specifically)


    Observations:
    - With old video card and same cable/TV setup, we were able to view 1280x720 on the flatscreen.
    - With new video card, I can only see video of the boot sequence (POST). Once the OS starts loading, the flatpanel blue-screens and says "Searching for Signal" followed by "No signal found"
    - In CCC, it auto detects "Samsung Plasma" as the secondary display


    I've tried just about everything I can think of - here's the list of things I've tried thus far (with out success):

    1) Install other versions of catalyst including 9.6, 9.4, 9.3, and the version that worked with the 1950, 9.2.
    2) Change every possible resolution between 800x600 and 1920x1080
    3) Replace flatscreen with a second LCD monitor, configure the LCD for 1280x720, then 'hot swap' the DVI cable with the DVI-HDMI cable
    4) Paint door jambs with fresh chicken blood
    5) Swap primary/secondary DVI ports on card (primary monitor works perfectly in either slot)
    6) Uninstall catalyst all together, and use native windows drivers


    Right now, I'm pretty much out of ideas. My kung-fu is not the best.

  • #2
    Re: help: Win7 + 4850 = no video over DVI-to-HDMI

    Wish I could help, but you are ahead of me just getting Windows 7 64 installed.

    If I get it up and running I will try hooking up my 4870 to my 50 samsung plasma and letting you know.

    But first I have to get Window 7 working. Been at it for 5 days. (see my thread)

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: help: Win7 + 4850 = no video over DVI-to-HDMI

      Just put in a in Vista Ultimate x64 partition - didn't work there either :(

      Getting ready to put in a XP32 partition :(

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: help: Win7 + 4850 = no video over DVI-to-HDMI

        Thats friggin odd.. Ill send you that ATI dongle, perhaps there is some special MOJO attached to it.. Ill UPS it tomorrow.

        I sure would like to get this resolved..
        Any help would be appreciated...
        I sold Whiskey the Card and feel poorly that its giving him such a hard time.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: help: Win7 + 4850 = no video over DVI-to-HDMI

          Maybe the Plasma screen is not getting properly recognized by the drivers and wrong synchronization timings are used. You could try to edit this table manually. I have only seen this option on nvidia drivers so far and have never had to deal with it, but that may be it.
          A way to solve this issue (if this is what the problem is) would be to install a driver for that screen. Google for the monitor driver, which is just an INF file with the timings and color profile.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: help: Win7 + 4850 = no video over DVI-to-HDMI

            Originally posted by marstein View Post
            Maybe the Plasma screen is not getting properly recognized by the drivers and wrong synchronization timings are used. You could try to edit this table manually. I have only seen this option on nvidia drivers so far and have never had to deal with it, but that may be it.
            A way to solve this issue (if this is what the problem is) would be to install a driver for that screen. Google for the monitor driver, which is just an INF file with the timings and color profile.
            hmm - interesting, will do.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: help: Win7 + 4850 = no video over DVI-to-HDMI

              Bump...

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: help: Win7 + 4850 = no video over DVI-to-HDMI

                No luck finding a driver for my TV... I put my old video card in for now. It's really bizzare - as soon as I plug in my x1950xt it just works... Same OS, same Catalyst drivers, etc. Just swap cards, power-on, and viola! <shrug>

                The only thing I haven't tried yet is putting in a Windows XP (32-bit) partition. Don't know why it would be any different there, but it didn't work in W7 x64 or Vista x64, so... :icon_lol:

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: help: Win7 + 4850 = no video over DVI-to-HDMI

                  What Hertz is the old card running at? Can you change the Hertz in the display settings of the 4850 to be the same??

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: help: Win7 + 4850 = no video over DVI-to-HDMI

                    Have you tried setting the Samsung plasma as your primary display ?

                    DB

                    «That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

                    | |





                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: help: Win7 + 4850 = no video over DVI-to-HDMI

                      There ARE special ATI DVI to HDMI domgles for differentseries !
                      I recently did some research when setting up a media serverto my new HDMI tv. Night mare. Was hard to find good info.

                      I found and confirmed thru testing, something like 2000 one dongle, 3000 another dongle, and most important 4000special dongle. I only found the dongle that came with the 4000 card to work with that card. There are some ati dongle part numbers out there.Sorry, traveling in Korea at the moment. Do not have the details availaible.

                      Good luck.

                      Also, you could try hooking a standard SECOND monitor up. Setting out putfor dual, then switching main back to 42" monitor.
                      sigpic
                      *New to TG Start Here !*BF4 Server Rules !*Battlefield 4 at TacticalGamer !

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: help: Win7 + 4850 = no video over DVI-to-HDMI

                        Originally posted by CapucinoBob View Post
                        There ARE special ATI DVI to HDMI domgles for differentseries !
                        I recently did some research when setting up a media serverto my new HDMI tv. Night mare. Was hard to find good info.

                        I found and confirmed thru testing, something like 2000 one dongle, 3000 another dongle, and most important 4000special dongle. I only found the dongle that came with the 4000 card to work with that card. There are some ati dongle part numbers out there.Sorry, traveling in Korea at the moment. Do not have the details availaible.

                        Good luck.

                        Also, you could try hooking a standard SECOND monitor up. Setting out putfor dual, then switching main back to 42" monitor.
                        That sounds like Good News.. I would have never believed it, but hope its the case... I sent him the dongle that came with the card but no word yet.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: help: Win7 + 4850 = no video over DVI-to-HDMI

                          Originally posted by llPANCHOll View Post
                          That sounds like Good News.. I would have never believed it, but hope its the case... I sent him the dongle that came with the card but no word yet.
                          Originally posted by llPANCHOll
                          So.... Verdict??
                          dude... this is the strangest damn thing! It WORKS using the dongle and HDMI cable.... check this:

                          1) Boot into windows
                          2) Connect dongle and HDMI cable - desktop displays on plasma
                          3) disconnect dongle and HDMI cable
                          4) plug in DVI/HDMI cable - desktop still displays on plasma (!!)
                          5) ... do whatever
                          6) reboot
                          7) plasma no longer sees PC via DVI/HDMI cable
                          8) go to [2]
                          sooooo... looks like I need to buy 35ft of HDMI cable :icon13: :row__630:

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: help: Win7 + 4850 = no video over DVI-to-HDMI

                            Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                            sooooo... looks like I need to buy 35ft of HDMI cable :icon13: :row__630:
                            Monoprice.com?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: help: Win7 + 4850 = no video over DVI-to-HDMI

                              http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp

                              Cheap prices on HDMI cales. Much cheaper than retail.

                              Comment

                              Connect

                              Collapse

                              TeamSpeak 3 Server

                              Collapse

                              Advertisement

                              Collapse

                              Twitter Feed

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X